Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void Infinite 8 MK2 or a pair of QSC 4050HD's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Void Infinite 8 MK2 or a pair of QSC 4050HD's?
    Posted: 09 August 2009 at 2:05pm
I'm currently using a pair of QSC 4050's for running bass, but i was curious about the idea of getting rid of them in exchange for a single infinite 8 mk2. I currently run a pair of gsubs off one qsc and the hd15's off another.

However I think i would be better off running 2 gsubs of one channel of the infinite 8 and the HD15'S on the other channel. Can anyone see a problem with this?

I just thought it would be a good thing to do as i intend to go down the Labhorn route fairly soon, and I get the impression that four labs would perform better off a single inf8 than two 4050hd's.

Opinions welcome......

Spesh.
Symmetry Soundsystem
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 2:36pm
It's easier to get enough power into the two QSC's than one Inf8.  Two smaller amps are also more flexible.  I can't comment on the sound difference.

I don't like running amps (even ones designed for it) down to 2Ohms/channel unless there is no other option.  Things like speaker cable and connections start being coming more of a factor as the impedance goes down (and current goes up).
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:46pm
The other thing i might mention is that the people i know who have used infinite 8 mk2 on Lab subs have taken out drivers on regular occasions. I presume this is was mostly down to poor gain structure and wrong limiter settings on the the LMS but as the lab subs combined impedance allows the amp to produce full power into the comparably low RMS drivers the possibility of driver damage is high.

Always sounded nice when they had it right though. I can imagine it would be a nice upgrade to your current system though, the lower end would have alot more weight to it imo.
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Bryan M Bryan M wrote:

The other thing i might mention is that the people i know who have used infinite 8 mk2 on Lab subs have taken out drivers on regular occasions. I presume this is was mostly down to poor gain structure and wrong limiter settings on the the LMS but as the lab subs combined impedance allows the amp to produce full power into the comparably low RMS drivers the possibility of driver damage is high.

Always sounded nice when they had it right though. I can imagine it would be a nice upgrade to your current system though, the lower end would have alot more weight to it imo.

This is the thing. I know the inf 8 is easily capable of taking out these sorts of drivers, but if i run the labs off a 4050, then each bin will be receiving roughly 1300 watts rms, and i'm sceptical as to whether that will be enough. But I have no experience running labs, so I have no idea how much power they can actually take in a real world scenario.
Symmetry Soundsystem
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Spesh Spesh wrote:

I'm currently using a pair of QSC 4050's for running bass, but i was curious about the idea of getting rid of them

I know someone who is looking for a QSC 4050HD right now. Wink
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Rengade Project View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rengade Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 2:17am
Aren't the lab 12 6 ohms each to start out with? If that is correct 2 cabs will be less than 2 ohms.
MUSIC SWEET,www.myspace.com/renegadeproject
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Spesh Spesh wrote:

This is the thing. I know the inf 8 is easily capable of taking out these sorts of drivers, but if i run the labs off a 4050, then each bin will be receiving roughly 1300 watts rms, and i'm sceptical as to whether that will be enough. But I have no experience running labs, so I have no idea how much power they can actually take in a real world scenario.

weve never had a problem running an inf8mrk2 on 4 labs
i do keep an eye on the limiters and my eye also on the amp meter to give me a rough idea on what power is going into the drivers

weve had 4 labs taking 16a most of the time weve used them with no problems
Bryan M View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 12:32am
I'm sure it was davey t who hung 2 labs off one side of a powersoft and the actual impedance presented to the amp whilst running was just above 2 ohms so i think i would be comfortable running 4 labs off a well built amp such as the infinite 8 mk2.

I've seen 6 powered off one amp before, think it may of been a camco vortex 6, can't imagine its going to last long, suprised it held out the night :-) 
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 2:58am
Has anyone tried 2x labs per channel of a crown VZ5?

I've seen that baby knock out a 32amp breaker on dedicated supply, with a pile of 18s per channel, and still not overheat or have any issue. Shocked

So I think manual is little conservative at 2.5kwpc @ 2ohms.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
oldskool_89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool_89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:06pm
If your thinking of selling your qsc's i would be interested in one!!

We use the 4050HD to run 2 labs and it performs really well...
IMMUNITY SOUNDSYSTEM - [ImmuneFromTheSystem]
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 9:05pm

I'm sure it was davey t who hung 2 labs off one side of a powersoft and the actual impedance presented to the amp whilst running was just above 2 ohms so i think i would be comfortable running 4 labs off a well built amp such as the infinite 8 mk2.

I've seen 6 powered off one amp before, think it may of been a camco vortex 6, can't imagine its going to last long, suprised it held out the night :-) 

nah i think it was jeff 9 bar who said about the impedance on his powersofts stating 2.4 ohms a channel when running 4 labs
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by oldskool_89 oldskool_89 wrote:

If your thinking of selling your qsc's i would be interested in one!!

We use the 4050HD to run 2 labs and it performs really well...

I think i'm goona hang on to them for the time being. However if an inf 8 MK2 comes up for sale on the forum then i will probably list the qsc's on here. Unless someone offers a straight swap.
Symmetry Soundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply