Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temporary Architectural Lighting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temporary Architectural Lighting
    Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:03am
Hi

Anyone had any experience in this?

I need to light the exterior of a large mill building, its a four story building, that requires lighting on 3 walls; one is 8m wide, one is 7m and final one is 20m. We are not required to light the entire 20m stretch although it would be good to do if its not too much harder to implement.

The problem is that there are foot paths and roads around the building so i cant position lighting fixture away from the building. My solution is to position the lights from the window ledges of the first floor windows.

What do you think the best way to do this would be?

Any suggestions for the fixtures? i was looking at these http://www.pandahire.co.uk/hire/productview.php?java=true&prodno=497

There is an 1800w version if power is an issue...
n^2 modulo -P = number wang
Preacher View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Preacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:44am
City Colour's are fab lighting up buildings (well they are designed to do that!).
Are the window ledges wide/deep enough to take them and still have the right angle to up light the building?
Stone Lion Sound System, The Garden City Rockers. It's all about the music & the vibe.
VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 10:59am
no, not really sure what to do about that.

was thinkin bout building some frames that can be secured on the inside of the window frame just by the weight of the fixture on the other side. Il see if i can pop down and get a pic of the building today

Its a listed building so cant do much more then put a couple of safteys in the wall for the fixture.

Do you think 3 of the 1800w city colours would suffice?

what do you think about LED wash's?

cheers

chris
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 11:31am
Having used City colours, they rock but you may want to see one before consider flying it. I modded 4 of them to fly but to do a safer job I had to drill holes for M10 bolts in them which isn't an option if they are not yours. THey are quite heavy (maybe 40Kgs) but seem about 60 as they are so akward to move about.

The Palco 5 fittings are pretty cool, use less power but you do need twice as many...
Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 12:44pm
Does it need to be colour changing?And have you got any images of the building?
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 12:57pm
You don't really want to be lifting city colours if you can help it, and you definately don't want to be hanging them out of windows with home built frames

They are very bright, you may be surprised at how well they do just at the bottom of the building
VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 1:04pm
OK so the city colours may be a bit heavy.

Unfortunatly there is no where to put the lights around the bottom of the building.

il go and take a picture in a bit, give you a better idea of the task
VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 10:13am
right, i may have underestimated the size of the building.
First off its 5 stories and the widths of the walls are a bit bigger then i estimated.
I dont think its going to be easy...

I didnt resize the first 2 images to show some details

Here is an image of the entrance, this side shouldnt be too dificult
to position lights on. There are rails and walls i could use.

The other walls will be a bit harder

they are not that fussed if the long back wall gets done.

Any thoughts?

could have a single colour going up from the 1st floor window ledges on the phone box side using light wieght wash lights and gels.
Then do something a bit fancy round the other side to brighten up that entrance a bit

Its for an open studios event where local creative-sorts display their work

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 10:39am
How long do you have to light it for?  Would you be allowed to fix anything to the building (ie drill into the masonry?)

You could consider using some LED battens (really good ones!)

It sounds like you're not used to doing this kind of job, you might be better bringing some assistance from a lighting company who own the kind of fixtures you need for this job.

audioman1 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 10:57am
take a look at liteled.com

VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 10:59am

Correct, i won’t be attempting to undertake by myself; I have someone who is experienced on the job with me.

I just like explore it a bit myself to get an idea of the area. Rather than having to follow blindly. I study aspects of light and lighting at uni so it’s not completely new to me.

It’s a 3 day event but the lighting is only really required for one night.

My initial thought was use decent led bars. Il have a look into it. Cheers
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:16pm

id personally think the only safe way of doing this is to drill and mount light weight floods at 1st floor height - either LED or gelled halogen/discharge ones. Dont place anything on the pavement or telephone box, is council land, requiring permissions, and would only get knicked regardless.

dont forget the installation must all be IP44 rated, dont want rain stopping play!!

one thing i have against education, is its all very well studying the theory of it, but it very rarely has ANY practical aspects too it, that comes from experience on the job. The 'live sound and music technology' peeps i have working with/for me can draw pretty pictures of speaker rigs on cad programs, talk endless techy jargon, but cant wire a plug, cant cope with the hours of lifting, dont have any idea on work ettiquite etc....
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>