Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dongle problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dongle problems
    Posted: 13 August 2009 at 2:25pm
I bought a new workstation to run some software that's a few years old.  The software on the old machine was authourised via a 25-pin serial dongle on the back of the old workstation.  New machine only has a 9-pin socket.

Will a simple 25-pin to 9-pin connector allow me to run the software.  I would ask the company but I no longer pay a maintenance contract so I'm not really eligible for support.

Any help greatly appreciated!

S
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 4:16pm
Are you sure the 25 pin dongle is serial and not parallel? The dongles we used on our stuff before we went USB were parallel and most I've seen on other systems are parallel too.

If the end which plugs into the computer has got pins (male connector), it's parallel. If it's got holes (female), it's a 25 pin serial, in which case, an adaptor should work ok.

You can get PCI parallel cards and USB -> parallel adaptors, although I'm not sure how well the latter work with dongles.

EDIT: Post a photo if in doubt!

Edited by Wrighty - 13 August 2009 at 4:16pm
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 5:58pm
Thanks Wrighty - I'll check that when I'm back at work.

S
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

Are you sure the 25 pin dongle is serial and not parallel?

Serial Ports on the back of PC's
http://www.cncplayer.com/cable/0925max.gif

Parallel port

If you really do need 25 pin serial port, I would prefer this solution from ebay,

Item number:130317401743

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 7:39pm
i've no experience with dongles.. but i've connected to my sparcstation's 25 pin serial port using a normal (9 pin) null modem cable with an adapter on it with no problems.
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 1:51pm
Yes, you're right Wrighty!  It's parallel and I don't know sh!t from shinola, as they say.  Thanks for the pic Lev.

I think I need to get a parallel PCI card for my new machine.  Does such a thing exist?

S

edit:  this should work (?)

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=362013&CatId=2658

Edited by Sheggy - 14 August 2009 at 1:54pm
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 11:09pm
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 10:06am
  Tongue That'll be Jake_Fielder just back from the pub
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 3:24pm
That card in the Misco link is PCIe (ie. PCI express). Make sure your PC has PCIe slots (which it should have, if it's a new machine) before you buy. Should do the job fine.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
 Post Reply Post Reply