Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier meet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 74>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:34pm
Great day out listening to all those amps and meeting Forum members. Thanks to Mike for the venue and to Rog for his unbiased organisation of the meeting.

My XP 5000/2 was first XP tested. It certainly 'moved' the top two bass bins which needed re-positioning before the next amp. It eventually made 133.6 db second time round with more input level. I thought it was ok, though a little softer presentation than the other louder amps. We needed a full range 4 ohm test to test for quality of sound so ,maybe, we can do another amp test day and concentrate on full range/tops & mids next time ? XP still very good value at present, and I liked the E90 and PL380's as well as the K10 with the older EV P3000 still holding its own.
Mike, hope the unit is still in good shape tomorrow after the pounding it had today. Several bits of masonry fell off the outside and there was a layer of sand/mortar on the ground outside the window which came from inside.
Brilliant....
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

On the inf8 front, it is a brutal thing...and i had a good chance to have a good look inside when it decided to blow its 20 amp fuse ( wrong fuse had been left in the amp) and i had to perform a bypass on the fuse holder ( on Rog's instruction) so we could get the full 32A into the amp

that amp is a brutal thing, but as ive said before, its just too heavy. roll on the infinate 8x

Pfft, eat more spinach!

I had one of those racks on each shoulder loading the truck
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:54pm
yea yea i used to have racks full of 9001's and 8001's. Been there, done that, and i know that the 8x, when it is ready will be every bit the amp the 8v2 is, and that is going to be worth the wait from what i heard earlier
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:58pm
I think my favourite was the UKP2400 producing the same SPL as the Camco Vortex 6
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:05pm
yes, that made me smile as well. good effort.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:18pm
Forgot to say.  Big thanks to Mike for hosting, hope you don't get evicted!

No major surprises I don't think.  Amongst the big name amps I don't think you can make any huge conclusions without further testing. I think a lot of people will agree that ultimate power delivery on sub is only one of a number of factors that make a good amp and that's the only thing that was tested.

I'm a little disappointed that some of the amps I know well and would rate quite highly didn't perform well but neither are really designed for high power at 2Ohms (Crest 8001 and Camco Vortex 6).

Was definitely good to see the designers Dave, Duncan and Rog there with their amps.  All very friendly.

QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Joe Average Joe Average wrote:

The powersoft was immense, but at the money, not as good as cheaper amps although bloody loud.
Are you saying the powersoft wasnt as good because of the cost?
"Music is life"
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:26pm
Hi Guys,

A big thankyou to all that came down. We finally got out of the pub at about 10pm!

I'll post the readings up tomorrow morning!

Mike
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:29pm
So what was the verdict at the end of the pub meet?

And did bedpoke's dad have a few too many light ales :P
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by B.P.Sound B.P.Sound wrote:

Just got back from the meet
1 x XP5000 died and a Lab 6400 died
great results from some old amps CS800 berry EP2500 and one of my EPC780 which I fogot I had till last night brought it in from the garded and dried it out got to mikes and put a new plug on it and got the dirt and sand out and it worked great.....

My 'Dead' XP5000 appears to be a blown fuse in the back of the unit, nothing serious at all.

Really nice to meet everyone, great crowd and thanks to Rog for 'running things' with his SPL meter. I felt the tests weren't very clinical and we could really have done with a scope on each amp to correctly supply the correct input gain at just before actual clip to ensure it was a fair test but overall results were pretty much as expected.

I personally loved the sound of the PL380 & the Powersoft provided enormous amounts of power for such a small lightweight unit. Congrats to Dave for the FFA which won the 34hz test track :)

Roll on the next meet! Hope everyone had a safe journey home :)

//t0m
http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jonminns jonminns wrote:

So what was the verdict at the end of the pub meet?

And did bedpoke's dad have a few too many light ales :P
Some very interesting things were discussed . . of course absolutely none of it is repeatable online!!

M
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:59pm
Had a great time, thanks to all involved, especially to Tallmike for being the host and to t0m for giving me a lift lol. It was great meeting everyone. It was also refreshing to see that not everyone was interested in the mega amps.

I loved the FFA10 - Sounded great and surprised me, I honestly didn't believe the hype.
I too loved the sound of the PL380 and the E90.
The Inf8 was very impressive but a little power hungry Dead and I didn't like the sound when it was pushed hard.
The Powersoft is amazing, great sound and very loud. Also very expensive.
I was blown away by the UKP2400. It was holding it's own. Amazing considering the bargainage.
The XP5000 sounded great to me and seemed to be going for big things before it blew the fuse
Also surprised that the Berry 2500 survived having heard a lot of stories. It was running out of steam but respectable numbers.

Biggest surprise to me was my little amp (BST 1600) it got 130.2 with only 670w per channel @ 2ohm. Beating a few more powerful amps and scored the same as the Peavy 2600. It sounded great doing it too.

I do think that the the test could have been a bit more scientific, the input signal was applied until just before the clip lights were flashing. But it was inconsistent as a some of the amps were allowed to clip while others weren't. Also it seemed like a lot of the LEDs meters on the amps were inaccurate, some amps sounded like they were being raped at clip lights while others just took it in their stride and carried on but those amps weren't allowed to continue. Using the scope would have been ideal, but also a bit more faff.

The Quakes were awesome, very big but great sound. The Arcline Xs were also impressive, very loud,  and kick like a demented mule but lacked the lower bass. I also found the sound a little cold and clinical.

PS - I hope that the results are classed by power + an overall list. Tis a bit unfair to compare the FFA10 to a XP5000 etc.

Edited by SamV - 03 September 2009 at 12:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 74>