Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifier meet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 74>
Author

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:20am
Thanks Joe,

I was also going to mention your post which I compleatly agree with and thought summed the day up well.

I think it was quite clear to all present what went on so there's no point in trying to deceive anyone. And I think that most people came to the same conclusions as we did, which makes the test very successful and useful.

Ha ha, I'm no salesman, I just know my own product well and get very excited about being able to play it too people. Maybe there's a lesson for real salesmen in what I do.
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:38am
Ha ha, I'm no salesman, I just know my own product well and get very excited about being able to play it too people. Maybe there's a lesson for real salesmen in what I do.

A good product will always sell itself , Bigup all for having the time to go there do what was to be done ,
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
VPAS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:42am
wow, some interesting results

Shame about the camco... for an amp that retails at >£3000 you would expect more.

The vz5000 seems to give best bang for buck there. When you consider they can be picked up for £900 but they are still up there with the big boys

Interesting stuff, gutted i couldnt come down but thanks for the report

did someone say dvd??
n^2 modulo -P = number wang
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Sinfinity Sinfinity wrote:

Photo's from the day will be available on DVD for the cost of the DVD + postage. Namely, cheap.

Will also be bring canon hidef vid cam.

And a point and shoot in case both bodies take a dump.

Will that be enough.
I will be more than happy if I am NOT the only one shooting, there is only so much I can capture.

Cheers
Matt

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

I'll second this mate, probably the best thing I saw at carnival was the grin on your face when you saw what your toys were doing. That confirmed my confidence my purchases more than the sound out of the cabinets at any event I'd done before it.

It's really good to get a settling of the debate, although it is interesting that the E90 needed to have it's limiters disabled - does Duncan plan to make this user-switchable on the back panel? Phil apparently ran up against the FFA limiters on his 8s at Carnival too, even though it was plenty loud I was told they'd run out of steam and could have given it some more.

Clearly the FFA10 is the evolution of that and one of the choices to go for if you're willing to damage your wallet more than your back. I have heard some horror stories about the K10's clip lights and the sudden surge in output, but that would probably need some proper scientific analysis with scopes on a bench to be investigated.
jonnyhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:46am
I know this was an 'amp meet', but any thoughts on the quakes performance?

Or should that be a different thread!

Or a different meet?
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by minaximal minaximal wrote:

i was also under the impression the e90 couldn't have its limiters defeated by end user as discussed in the old long blue room thread?
The 'end user' can't really defeat the limiters unless they know which jumpers they are on the circuit board - it's really not obvious. You have to take the cover off the amp etc.

Mike
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:55am
Thanks to everyone for the effort made to get to the event, and for the write-ups and reports so far, really fascinating reading.

I guess its no real surprise, but one thing that is very clearly illustrated by the tests is the variation in manufacturers current methods of measuring lightweight power output. For example the PL380's stated output is 4000 Watts per channel vs the E90 at 8000 Watts per channel, yet they came out pretty close in this test.

The heavyweight amp performances seem more consistent with their stated capabilities.

As Rog pointed out, seems that you need up to twice as many SMPS Watts to give the same sub performance as Torriodal Watts.
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:58am
how was the spl reading taken? the peak during a 1 minute section?
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Maybe some of the 5000VZ and CA18 bashing will stop now.

Wish you were there Lev.

The 5000VZ was good, but I thought the CA18 was very weak. It left no impression on me and I really thought it would have been better.

The Crest P8001 was even worse which was a big surprise to me. It just seemed to have no guts like the CA18. I would have loved to have heard a P9001 as thats more in the league of the Crown 5000VZ.

There was jusy over 2dB between the 5000VZ and the Infinite 8 V2, but that was a 2db you could really hear and feel, with the 5000VZ being heavy sounding but comfortable and the Infinite 8 V2 getting uncomfortable and threatening. 

Will hopefully be there next time guv.

Suprised to hear you were disappointed by CA18. In 4ohm stereo it is much smoother than 5000VZ. I only sold mine because I know they only really come alive on 16A+. However the 5000VZ current limiting isn't as drastic, so explains a lot.

I said last week the 8001 was good for lower powered drivers and quality on mids, but is not in same league on sub as EV P3000 for 4 ohm/2 ohm stereo. So no suprise there really.

Don't burst out laughing people, but can a behringer mike, laptop and software perform any worth while SPL measurement?

It really does remove variables, unknowns when you measure all amps under constant conditions.

However, was the SPL meter calibrated to also consider damping/standing waves caused by rapid consumption of Earl Grey/tetleys by those present?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 12:04pm

Don't burst out laughing people, but can a behringer mike, laptop and software perform any worth while SPL measurement?

yes, you can gat a calibration log done for any mic.

However, was the SPL meter calibrated to also consider damping/standing waves caused by rapid consumption of Earl Grey/tetleys by those present?

i think it was rog's class 1 mic properly calibrated and used? dont know how biscuit artefacts affect the results thoLOL

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 12:08pm
What track was being played at the test? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 74>