Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed-=SHOW OFF YOUR 12V SYSTEM!!!!=-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 11:24am
after writing the post I realised that I may have realsied the answer.

The cabling on low voltage supplies is a bit of a mystery to some people and so my guess is that they are using power cables to their amps which are too small. To undecuated people it is difficult to diagnose when the cable is too small because the amp will continue to work and the cable will not get hot but if the x-sectional area isn't large enough for the current then the voltage drop will be too high.

I'm guessing people are misdiagnosing voltage drop as a battery problem and rather than replacing the cable with something suitable, they are simply adding a cap to boost the voltage nearer the amp. Both will work but I know where I'd spend my money
me so horny, me love you long throw.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 12:27pm
True but decent 2awg or 0awg cable is more expensive and a bigger faff for most people. I'm in the same camp as you though.
kallabungo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

Can someone explain to me the point in the big Caps that ICE systems use?

Most lead acid batteries are extremely good at supplying huge amounts of current for short periods of time, this is why they are good at turning over vehicle engines to get them to fire. So why would an amplifier need a cap to get the necessary juice out of the battery?

Most decent batteries can cold crank in excess of 500a and the bigger ones can do in excess of 1000a. 500a at 12v is 6,000w, and 1000a is 12,000w surely people don't need help from a bank of caps to get more power? If a battery can turn over a diesel engine for a few seconds at 3000rpm I fail to see why it would have problems supplying enough power to move even the biggest 5inch voice coils at 50Hz

Using a power cap in a car can in some situations cause more harm than good. Yes, it can store and discharge power at phenomenal rates which is exactly what the subs and amps want, but in some cases the power is being drawn from the battery too quickly by the capacitor and in turn puts extra strain on the alternator and battery. A little bit of extra bass vs dead battery and alternator...? No thanks!
Split charge systems are the way, then using a cap is probably worth while, but im sure these companies are making loads of cash off of little rude boys thinking they are the dogs and all that...
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 12:55pm
i wouldnt use a cap in a portable rig, but in a car i have seen 'headlight dimming' on bass hits, and then the dimming dissapears with a cap.  i think a cap may well be a good thing if you are driving around in a little 106 with a small battery.  A diesel with a huge battery probably wont see any gains from a cap.

also, i think the cap popularity began before class d bass amps became a normality.  back when earthquake/audiobahn etc were bringing out 1kwrms in class ab amps.  These types have died a death since class d has become popular 
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2010 at 1:50pm
Nooooo all the BIG amps are still A/B. Class D still isn't very supported by either the SQ or the SPL boys, despite everyone in between and the SQL boys liking them.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:26am
If anyone wants to purchase my 12v rig (the double 12" + mid/high cabinet + Amprack + lithium pack).  its for sale.  £400.  not cheap, but you get a lovely little 12v amp rack (with active crossover) and rca ins/speakon outs to run pretty much any moderate sized rig off 12v.  Full class d so very efficient and about 500w real rms total output.  seach page 2 of this topic for pics of the cabs and the amprack (amprack is a little briefcase style with fan cooling).  Ill also chuck in the lithium charger.  Ready for the summer if you cant be bothered to build your own.

selling due to completely new project in pipeline.

Edited by rich_gale - 08 January 2010 at 2:28am
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 3:01am
Bargainage.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 12:12pm
SOLD :(  and it was only a day before i sold it that i remade the battery to allow full balancing of the pack.  onto different things i guess..  ready for summer!
snowyweston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 11:50pm
I've not been on here for an age - but still, my 2006 effort:

s

Still thinking I  might make a new one... and now I've found this thread there's plenty of new tricks to absorb!

EDIT
Ha Ha HA! I've just spied the discman in the first photo! LOL I think I've still got that somewhere....

Edited by snowyweston - 24 February 2010 at 3:10am
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 11:56pm
Still gotta come round and hear it lol
snowyweston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:01am

When I'm back we should - Loungelover? That or I might just get round to buying a bike and I'll come riding one day...

SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:05am
Well I'm still not riding much post injury, have you been to Lounge Bohemia?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>