Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Compression driver suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1" Compression driver suggestions
    Posted: 20 September 2009 at 6:05pm
I'm after some 1" drivers. Requirements are:

High sensitivity
Good high frequency extension
Compact size, probably a neo magnet

They will be crossed over from a 6" driver on a horn at around 3.5khz, therefore do not need to play very low. Power handling needent be huge.

I would be particularly interested in models which do not use titanium diaphragm as I have found titanium can sound a bit rough, however this may not be a problem with my intended crossover?, or indeed with a high quality driver.

Any thoughts/ experiences you can share?

Thanks

Kieran

Blahblahblah
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 6:33pm
i use bms 4538's and they are the mutz!
cheap at 60ish quid from thomann which is much cheaper than an equivalent beyma drive
celestion compression drivers are also good along with beyma/b&c
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 10:52pm

my all time favortite comp is a b&c 25 aslong as its crossed over around 2.2hz or above they sound spot on,the b&C 12's are another very sweet driver and would suit crossing over higher where you want it.

tony wilkes on here does bms drivers and theve got a good reputation,ive just ordered a pair myself,he would probably be the best placed person to reccomend one of those

GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 11:07pm
beyma cp380m,
b&c de250,
or bms from tony.

all sound lovely. 
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 8:19am
Already p.m.ed the OP. The BMS 4524 is perfect for this application.

Cannot believe someone recommended Thomann for BMS on this Forum!!!  Tongue  i.e. 4538  £52.00 from UK

Tony
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

The BMS 4524 is perfect for this application.

i.e. 4538  £52.00 from UK

Tony

Tony,

You may have mentioned it before, but what are the main differences between the above two 1'' comps and also the 4544 & 4550 ?

The others are self-explanotory with Nd after the code.

I think your price list/info was wiped out of my PM a good while back.

Cheers.

Edited by Tekasis - 21 September 2009 at 10:03am
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 10:00am
With the BMS 1" drivers types 4538, 4544 and 4550 they basically are the same design but with differing amounts of Xmax to allow for a lower X-Over i.e. 4538-1.9K  4544-1.3K  4550-800hz.

The 4538 is a 38 dia noml. diaphragm and the other two are 44 dia. I find the sound quality to be remarkably similar accross the range with the 4544 probably just edging it.

The 4524 uses basically the same sort of annular diahragm but of a much smaller dia (25) .  This reduction in mass also allows it to have a much smaller magnet assembly reducing weight and more importantly cost. It has a very flat response to 20K (in the right horn) and to my ears sounds much more like a good dome tweeter than a comp.

I use a these in my own X10 style speakers crossed at 2k and they have absolutely no problems keeping up at all without ever sounding ragged.

Crossed at around 3.5K as the OP has indicated they would give amazing performance for the money.

Tony
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 10:07am
Perfect mate! Cheers.
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 9:22pm
Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

Tony, what sort of horn are you using on your 4524s? I'm planning to make my first serious attempt at a diy hf horn, however it would be good to know which style of horn you have good results with.

Also how much power do you give them? I will probably have just over 100w each available to allow for peaks, does this seem about right? thats around 4x rms rating of the drivers.

Kieran

Blahblahblah
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 1:42pm
Like all BMS comps they actually have a very high peak rating. On the 4524 although they are only rated at 25w continuous they have a peak rating of 200w. Driven from a 100w into 8 amp would be perfect.

I use the little BMS horn  http://www.bmspro.info/2193.bms_2193_horn_sound_wave_guide.0.html

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 22 September 2009 at 1:43pm
steelnotclay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelnotclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 4:03pm
+1 to BMS comps. I use the 4544. they're just Hi-Fi IMHO

Cheers
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 5:16pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. As BMS got so many mentions I went with them and got some 4524's. I set one up on some cheap eminence horn, probably not the best to try but I have a couple spare, and put it on a pile of half finished projects in the garden.

I included a roll of gaffa in the shot to give an idea of size (and point the horn down a bit). It really is quite a small driver.

I had a listen with various music and I am really impressed with it. I have never heard a compression driver sound like this. It's got the top end of a decent bullet and is unbelievable smooth, not a hint of harshness anywhere. I didn't have the equipment on hand to try any eq so used the cd horn eq on the cheap berry crossover, and this did seem like more than was necessary. A quick play with the ultradrive should have it sounding superb.

It's a very efficient driver, I had it on a 75w/4r amp and hardly turned it up. When I did crank it it got too loud too listen to at a few metres but still sounded great.

Time for the next project, diy hf horn.

Kieran
Blahblahblah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>