Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minidrive programming - help required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minidrive programming - help required
    Posted: 02 October 2009 at 8:56pm
Anyone in the Sussex area know how to programme these, please ?

My 334 is proving difficult to get to grips with for eq and crossover settings.

Willing to pay the going rate for the time....

Cheers
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 10:32pm
Just download the FDS 336/334 manual from the BSS website and it is really easy to follow.
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:59pm
Thanks Robbo.

I have already done that some time ago, but just cannot get the crossover and filters to work. 
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:44pm
May be worth having a word with Chilli(Rich)---I think that he is somewhere down your neck of the woods and he is a pretty clued up and helpful member.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:19am
I'm kind of nearby.  The minidrive is pretty straightforward though, I'm sure we can talk you through it on here.  Can you be more specific about the problem?  Can you see the crossover settings and edit them?
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 4:43pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the offers of help, much appreciated.

I have set-up the basics for a four box system, 2 tops and 2 bins running in stereo with Linkwitz-Riley filtration, but cannot see how to get in and set a 120 hz crossover between the two. Also, I need to get in and set a 5db cut at 315 hz for the tops in the outputs. These are all recommended by the manufacturer( HZ ) with the crossover at 120 as a starting point.
Cheers
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 5:30pm
depress the big black thumbwheel and then use the other up down left right button to scroll to desired function then adjust as you please
ps never used a mini drive but asume its set up like the omnidrives
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 5:32pm
Sorry, but I'm still not sure exactly where you're having trouble.  Saying you've set up Linkwitz-Riley filters suggests you've made it to the crossover settings but you say you can't get in to edit them.

You can get to the settings for each output by either pressing the gain trim next to that output or by pressing the large rotary encoder which will cycle through them.  If you have the unit in stereo mode (in the utilities menu) you will only need to set up two of the output channels because they'll be ganged together.

Once you're editing an output you can navigate using the 4 way pad.  Lo Freq is the lower crossover for an output so for the bins that might be 40Hz.  Hi Freq is the upper crossover so for the bins set that to 120Hz.

For the EQ, it's at one end of the parameters for the outputs. When it says Eq1S on the left you are editing the EQ type for EQ number one.  Set that to Bell. Go one parameter to the left I think using the pad and you'll get to set the frequency, next one will be gain and then the next one will be bandwidth.  If you move another position it'll insert a second EQ so you'll probably get Eq2S which will be the EQ type for EQ number 2.

Are we getting anywhere?

Manual is: http://www.bssaudio.com/product_downloads/User_Manuals/fds336Tum.pdf
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:09pm
Is it all fully unlocked?
Safetyman View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Safetyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 10:50pm
Hey Chris,

it seems to have worked fairly well apart from the bandwidth. What should  that be set to, please ?

Where are you based on South Coast , as a matter of interest ?

Cheers

PS It was partially locked-out Robbo, thanks 
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 11:03pm
Bandwidth is basically the inverse of Q.  It's done in octaves.

A bandwidth of 1 is one octave so if you have your EQ at 500Hz, it'll be roughly 500Hz wide (eg 250-750Hz).  A slider on a graphic is 1/3 of an octave so if you want to do an EQ that wide, set it to about 0.3.

I'm in Southampton.

demanddeepbass View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demanddeepbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 2:56pm
If you're a bit computery the easiest way to set these up is using the London Architect software available off the BSS website. It gives a nice pictorial diagram of what's going on and is far less cryptic than the front panel controls. You'll need a null moden cable and a computer with a serial port.
"These amps go up to 11"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>