Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lesley not not the woman? the speaker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 11:51am
You cant replicate that sound,its abit like trying to replicate electric guitar through a good valve combo
on a synth. It aint gonna happen!!!!!!!
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Edit. Wow, just Googled them, this was the correct address

Surley not still there?

the shop was still open around 10 years ago but it looks derelict now. perhaps its still open as a workshop. I pass it pretty regularly - Ill peek through the windows and give the door a kick
LOUDER THAN LOUD
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:27pm
I have started unpacking and have found my camera.

We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 3:39pm
music is the message
freeytrap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freeytrap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2010 at 7:48pm
hears one i have been working on

carnt get photo bucket to work hears a link to flicker sight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27815733@N02/4535002283/
opus jody View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2010 at 1:16pm
we've got one at work, which all the amps get carries on to be tested in the testing zone. a bit sacrilegious, i suppose, but much loved.
seeing this thread got me thinking about plugging an MS10 synth into it. Acid Leslie mayhem? could be good. i'll have to build a new amp trolley, & see if i can get the leslie working.
i'll get some photos.
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:44pm
i remember when i used to work on the floor in a local club picking up bottles and stocken the bar, i was asked to pick up a box of miller from the store, when i opened the door there was a massive box that looked like the above micked in the middle of the floor, i had no idea what it was!

i picked up two cases for miller and went to leave the room when this massive black box let an ear bleeding loud scream out and cause me to jump and drop the two boxes!

i think it was an organ it was used with?? would that be right! me tho i broke half the bottles and took a box for bud out too that i droped them on!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:47pm
Yep that would have been the old "it's too bleedin' loud to be anywhere near the stage, so let's put it in the beer cellar and mic it up" gambit! Good reverb in there too, probably sounded amazing in the band's mix, but they could have put up a "Danger: Automated machinery, may start without warning" sign at least LOL
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:51am
I toured with the Charlatans and their keyboard player at the time (Rob) loved his lesleys.
We tried a few before we found one that wasn't mechanically too noisy though. Some of the older ones certainly whirred & grinded!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 9:37pm
These speakers were named after company founder Don Leslie (note the spelling, pedants!) who died only recently.

A good 145 or 147 will make £500 upwards in working order and usually more.

The valved ones are really the only ones most Hammond players want, as they rely on distorting the valve amp to get the distinctive rock growl. If you distort a solid state version, you wave goodbye to your drivers! The solid state ones were usually paired to solid state organs such as the B200 which were popular with 70's jazz players as they were relatively light to handle.

The valve amp is around 45W or so, passively crossed over. Different manufacturers made these as the license holder including CBS and Hammond Organ. They used many different drivers but the most common ones with square magnets were from Jensen. They were made in the UK and US, imported US ones often have 240-110V transformer factory fitted, the frequency is compensated-for by a multi-way pulley affair.

The top horns are really just a single horn, the other is a dummy for balancing purposes, sometimes people cut-out the plug in the dummy and make it a twin-horn unit, IMHO this spoils the sound.

A rival british company called Keith Hitchcock and Co made a leslie clone called the Sharma in the early-mid 70's, (using wooden horns); these were mostly solid state and shared a single 2-speed motor for both speakers.

Speed control is by 2 twin motors, each rotating part (rotor on the bass, horns on the top) has 2 motors, one rotates it fast and the other slow; they are switched between the speeds by the player. An optional extra was a brake switch which kills power to both fast and slow motor.

Hammond still make a range of Leslies, they are very expensive indeed (several thousand quid)and contain stepper-motors and microprocessor control that simulates the correct acceleration and deceleration, min and max speeds and line-out controls that allow you to simulate virtual microphone positions...all fully adjustable. The bass speaker is seperate and static.

Prince had a hammond and leslie rebuilt in perspex to show off the workings. It was shown on the uk's The White Room pop programme.

The 145-7 valve amps use a regulator valve that can cause the lower cabinet to glow blue in the dark.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

GordonW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

btw, does anyone know what the bass driver with the square magnet is - I have a very similar looking one sat here that I can never quite bring myself to take to the dump.

From what I see from the picture, it looks like the standard Jensen driver that most of these units were outfitted with. In fact, I just reconed three of them for a local keyboard tech here, so I just got to look at some of them close-up. They were either 16 ohm (early model) or 4 ohm (later model). The early ones had paper-edge cones, where the later ones had stiff fabric surrounds.

You can tell for sure if it's a Jensen... just look on the backside of the mounting rim of the driver, and look for the number "220" followed by three more digits (in the format of "220xxx", where "xxx" is the date code, week and year, that it was made). If you see "220", then it's a dead-on surety that it's a Jensen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123