Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lesley not not the woman? the speaker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lesley not not the woman? the speaker!
    Posted: 19 October 2009 at 9:09pm
I picked this up today and sent it on it's way to sunny greece!
a bit bashed up but still working after all those years!

anyone for a valve set?

they don't make em like this anymore (thankfully)

any ideas how old this is? I havn't seen one for at least 30 years let alone one that still works, but I'm sure there's more out there somewhere?

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 9:17pm
f*cking cool.  Never seen or heard one in real life.  What'll you do with it?
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 9:26pm
Well I wanted to take it apart (as you do) but it was being shipped out to greece so it wasn't mine to take a screw driver too! Shame that?
I hate to think how much the greek blokes paid for it but it aint gonna be cheap thats for sure!
and they sound wonderful from recollection!

Edit: Just a thought? could this have been the first ever active speaker?

Edited by colint - 19 October 2009 at 9:28pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 9:34pm
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:13am
There's nothing like the sound of a real Leslie! it does things that no simulation can match and I suspect it may well have been the first active cabinet, just possibly preceded by the ondes Martenot's various strange output devices although I'm not sure if they had amplifiers in them.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:04am
i got mine of ebay out of a church in nottingham for less than 100 quid and being a piece of church kit the worst thing that had ever happened to it was a few biscuit crumbs and i dont think it had moved since it was installed there. They do sound amazing.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 2:56pm
Colin,is it the drum bit at the bottom that rotates? i seem to remember seeing one of these with a pair of spinning HF horns in the top part as well.
Edit..just found this photo of a home-made one,which shows the spinning parts quite well.

Edited by jbl_man - 20 October 2009 at 3:05pm
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Colin,is it the drum bit at the bottom that rotates? i seem to remember seeing one of these with a pair of spinning HF horns in the top part as well.
Edit..just found this photo of a home-made one,which shows the spinning parts quite well.
yes it does and also the horn at the top! and the speed of both can be varied!
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 10:17pm

they are fantastic sounding things. my band used to call upon the services of eddie the hat (moloko) to play hammond/leslie . he could produce sounds from the speed controls and drawbars that you would never get from a synth. however, its not the sort of setup you really want to gig with. size, fragility and weight were definitely not on its side.

btw, does anyone know what the bass driver with the square magnet is - I have a very similar looking one sat here that I can never quite bring myself to take to the dump.

Edited by godathunder - 21 October 2009 at 10:21pm
LOUDER THAN LOUD
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 4:08pm
I think its an old Baker driver(west London),they made all theirs with square magnets.
Be seeing you.
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 6:40pm
kef also done some square magnets
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 12:00am
and peavey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>