Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7
    Posted: 27 October 2009 at 9:26am
Anyone bought this yet or tried the Beta?

If you still manage to download a Beta version, will it still work?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 1:03pm
ive got it (pro64 bit), its alright....
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Anyone bought this yet or tried the Beta?

If you still manage to download a Beta version, will it still work?

Until March 2010, when it will timebomb. Just get the retail.
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 1:45pm
been using the RC since it was released and the prior versions, but 64bit didn't run all my progs so using 32bit, which i like, got it originally for my dell xt touchscreen as xp and xp tablet just dont cut it anymore in comparison, but stuck with it for my t61 as i couldn't go back anymore.

everything that worked in vista works in 7.
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 1:55pm
And from my brief testing everything that didn't work in Vista pretty much works in 7. If not, you have an XP VM anyway.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 3:35pm
I wonder how much ram it takes just to run it?..i had that problem with vista,if you have a laptop with "only" 2gb ram,so slow,swaped it for XP,super fast now...so i wonder if seven is also memory-hungry?
Be seeing you.
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

I wonder how much ram it takes just to run it?..i had that problem with vista,if you have a laptop with "only" 2gb ram,so slow,swaped it for XP,super fast now...so i wonder if seven is also memory-hungry?

Vista wasn't memory hungry, it just kept memory 'wired' rather than 'free' which hardly anybody seems to understand.

It should improve performance, but it was some poor management of moving the memory between apps that got Vista it's bad rep. It's much better in 7, but you still won't see as much 'free' memory as you do in XP. Not that it's a bad thing, 'free' memory is memory doing nothing, when it could be used to further increase performance of currently running apps.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 4:07pm
hey

yeah i've been running beta and then RC for ages now on my general machines and they're great. Bass Box Pro and Win ISD work fine, but I haven't tried it on my Pro Tools rig or any music specific programs yet.

And in terms of memory and system usage, while it'll never be as small as XP its significantly better than Vista and runs well even on Netbooks from what I hear.

k
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 5:31pm
Quote Vista wasn't memory hungry, it just kept memory 'wired' rather than 'free' which hardly anybody seems to understand

Exactly

Load as much stuff as you can into RAM for ultrafast access leaving enough free to handle new unexpected requests. Clever predictive pre-caching development only improves things further
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

i'm temporarily running win7rc with only 1gb ram atm on my laptop which is fine for everyday use and faster than vista.

theres also smartboost thing you can alocate to a usb flash drive to help with caching or something, forget exactly what, but it seems to help a little and a free bonus.

also, with the added functionality of win7 it's a good idea to do as you would have to with vista and turn off a few features or/and set your own task management regime (manual) to optimise your system performance.  the searchbar is very powerfull but things like search cacheing? can slow down the system, if it happens in the middle of something else.

Edited by minaximal - 27 October 2009 at 10:29pm
Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2009 at 9:21am
Windows 7 is a lot better than vista. But I still just dont see the need to upgrade from xp.
xp does everything I need. I dont care that they moved all the control panel icons about. Or removed the word start form the start menu. I haven't seen one improvement in vista or 7 that would warrant me switching. Come to think of it I dont even remember why I changed from 2000.
Matrix XP3000H, Thomann TA1050, Peavey CS1400, QSC RMX1450
2 x Eminence Kappa and PSD2002 loaded x15's
2 x SN-15MB and BM-D450 loaded X15's
2 x V18-1000 loaded 1850's
Behringer DCX2496
richardhx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardhx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2009 at 10:07pm
I refused to upgrade to Vista, personally and my recommendation to friends and family was to only take Vista if it comes with a new PC (ie the drivers were already there). I do not like problem solving on Vista. The way the security/permissions is handled has meant for me I will not use it.

My last job also put me in charge of a school network (500+ computers) and both myself, and my replacement (I moved diagonally) stated categorically that we would not be using Vista in the school.
My experiences of using vista and the issues that come from that meant it was a no-go for our network. Most of the machines now in, came with Vista licenses but are to date unused.

Once tested however, i would probably agree to the use of 7 within the school. Though I do not have final say anymore, I am still in a position to influence that. 

I had both Vista and more recently win7rc running in VMware fusion on my mac and on vmware on PC, and A/B test wise with same basic install, OS and MS office 2003. Time to operation was faster on win7rc, more stable, and better usability. I find Vista a frustration to use, hence my everyday use of OSX.

However with all things, I would have to check existing software worked on 7 before updating.
In the school, it would have to give a performance/network benefit to justify the work re-imaging all the machines. In many schools, Vista has been refused.

For music machines, it may well be that Vista would be needed as supports higher RAM use in programs, and many music specific software manufacturers have OKd Vista 100% on their products, and not yet done so for Windows7. I will carry on using Mac OSX mostly, and run XP or 7 in a VM.  
making the word clear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>