Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 9:25am
Originally posted by b3n b3n wrote:

Windows 7 is a lot better than vista. But I still just dont see the need to upgrade from xp.xp does everything I need. I dont care that they moved all the control panel icons about. Or removed the word start form the start menu. I haven't seen one improvement in vista or 7 that would warrant me switching. Come to think of it I dont even remember why I changed from 2000.

Could the fact you're using an 8 year old OS held together with spit and glue in certain pretty important areas be one reason?

XP has a massively flawed security and network model.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:38pm
happy days!! ive hacked a vista driver for my soundcard and it now works on my 7.

been using this 3days now, is growing on me. Liking how i can hide bits and bobs i dont need to use, control loadups, the windows all condense to one icon per program, preview whats on them etc. All nice and smooth. Even windows media player PLAYS DVD'S without addons straight from the package!!!!!!!!!!!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
b3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by b3n b3n wrote:

Windows 7 is a lot better than vista. But I still just dont see the need to upgrade from xp.xp does everything I need. I dont care that they moved all the control panel icons about. Or removed the word start form the start menu. I haven't seen one improvement in vista or 7 that would warrant me switching. Come to think of it I dont even remember why I changed from 2000.

Could the fact you're using an 8 year old OS held together with spit and glue in certain pretty important areas be one reason?

XP has a massively flawed security and network model.

IMO 2000, XP, vista and 7 are all just NT in successively shinier coats. All the changes seem to be just to make windows "easier" to use. I dont need to click on three different confirmation dialogues to run a program. Tell me why I shouldn't be using "an 8 year old OS held together with spit and glue"?
Matrix XP3000H, Thomann TA1050, Peavey CS1400, QSC RMX1450
2 x Eminence Kappa and PSD2002 loaded x15's
2 x SN-15MB and BM-D450 loaded X15's
2 x V18-1000 loaded 1850's
Behringer DCX2496
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 6:13pm
Quote Tell me why I shouldn't be using "an 8 year old OS held together with spit and glue"?

Flawed right from the start.

Shoulda used Gaffa tape, they'd never, ever need to upgrade your Windows ever again them (although scraping the residue off when you patch it might be a pain)
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2009 at 7:12pm
I'm running windows 7 pro (64 bit). No problems as yet.
Symmetry Soundsystem
crystal.a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crystal.a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 12:24am
hi can any one help me here i recently got a new laptop running vista home premium and i'm eligible for the free upgrade to win 7 only problem is i cant access ANY  microsoft sites to get the free down load!
I don't think its my router as the old desktop downstairs running xp is fine and loads whatever i want albeit slowly any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is really bugging me

Cheers

Connel.
hell is just a word, the reality is much much worse!
_radu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _radu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 1:07pm
I have been using Windows 7 for 8 or 9 monts, ar the begining of October becoming legal, and then I have been using Windows 7 Pro 64 bits.
It runs pretty smooth.
For the one that don't like Vista and like 7, belive me when I'm telling you, it's the same thing, even though M$ guis said that they write it from scratch. Vista in Windows 6.0 and 7 is 6.1.

Windows 2000 was a vertty good and stable OS ( actually it is Windows NT 5.0 ) but because it is very old it isn't being supported anymore, so no error reapiring, no service packs. Windows XP ( NT 5.1 ) is good because there still are users that don't have more the 1 GB of RAM, which is a minimum requirement for Vista to run decently. I had Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1501 with 1 GB of RAM ( 128 MB were dedicated to the video card on board so remained only 892 MB of RAM available ) and in the first 2-3 days afther installation it didn't runned as smooth as XP ran, but afther it optimized itself it was smoother than XP. Thinking that XP had a minimum RAM requirement of 64 MB, 1 GB seems perfect for XP to run flawleslly.
From my point of view Windows Vista ( NT 6.0 ) was just a marketing research, to see how people would react to a new interace and a new core. ( it's the same problem that was with XP when 2000 or 98SE were the popular ones ) Unfortunatelly the reaction wasn't that good so they started to modify it by to create something with a better appeal.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by crystal.a crystal.a wrote:

hi can any one help me here i recently got a new laptop running vista home premium and i'm eligible for the free upgrade to win 7 only problem is i cant access ANY  microsoft sites to get the free down load!
I don't think its my router as the old desktop downstairs running xp is fine and loads whatever i want albeit slowly any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is really bugging me
Cheers
Connel.

This is a common problem when the MTU setting on your computer and/or router is too high for your connection to support. Technically your ISP should help you reduce the value to something more suitable but it's beyond the capability of most ISP's tech support.

There's more info here:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 3:52pm
Windows 7 = Vista SP3

Apart from booting where drivers can be loaded simultaneously instead of one after the other, speed, memory, and performance all remain exactly the same as under Vista.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Quote Tell me why I shouldn't be using "an 8 year old OS held together with spit and glue"?

Flawed right from the start.

Windows NT 4.0 was pretty sturdy.

However the price of * new * Sexy gui, and ability to play games, (Windows 2000) meant they had to allow gfx drivers to be able to crash the OS. Confused

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Maybe the box you put it in was, but the OS certainly wasn't.

Trying to use it as a web server it was more often down than up, which is where Windows hosting got it's bad name from as being unstable.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by bruce bruce wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Maybe the box you put it in was, but the OS certainly wasn't.

Trying to use it as a web server

Surely you jest ? Windows webserver in those days ? LOL

No it was purely for use as NDS.

Firewalling and Webserving were handled Separate Linux X86 Boxes.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>