Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carlsbro powerline pro 2000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carlsbro powerline pro 2000
    Posted: 03 November 2009 at 4:57am
aup i dont no that much about these i have a 1200 watt version but i only use it on tops but do you reckon the 2000 would last on sub duty ive opened the 1200 and it has 14 transistor's each side but i take it the 2000's the same but with a bigger psu has eny one on here had much experiance with one?
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 7:34am
post a picture pleaseThumbs Up
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
beanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 12:54pm

I used to work there as a designer for 3.5Years while cutting my teeth so to speak, the powerline 2000 is exactly the same inside as your 1200 except all the extra holes for capacitors on the power supply are filled, the transfomer is bigger (and heavier!!!!!) and the power stages have transistors running all the way down the heatsinks on both sides rather than having the 2 gaps in the middle that are there on the 1200.

If you do get it the first thing i'd do is open it up and where the transformer connects to the power supply, the left hand cables which are both white to a 2 way header, check that there isn't a green capacitor behind that, if there is remove it. This was added for EMC protection (so has no effect on operation/sound)  but on one batch these were from a slight iffy batch of caps and they can fail short circuit and pull the mains fuse out, if you then replace the mains fuse it doesn't blow a second time but causes the transformer to melt, and as carlsbro are no more getting a replacement is pretty much impossible. Appart from that i've been using them for bass duty now and then for a while with no complaints appart from the weight. They give a true 2000W (rms at 1%THD+N) bridged into 8ohm, or 2 2x1000W into 4ohm.

If you had the money i'd go for an equivalent power matrix, but if the budget doesn't stretch they give a good bang for the buck.

@ Andy, if your Matrix andy could you PM me please i've got some very bad news about Pete and I don't know if your aware or not.

Beanie
come to treefest on 17th&18th july at Newstead nr Nottingham, multiple stages free entry, bring your own booze, camping is only a fiver I think.
WWW.PSYCLE.INFO
beanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 12:56pm
oh yeah the test for these when they arrived was hook 2 4ohm 1300W twin 18" bass bins per side and ran them to clip with 200Hz and below for 5 days straight and they handled it fine (admittedly the factory next door threw a brick through one of the windows of the test portacabin)
come to treefest on 17th&18th july at Newstead nr Nottingham, multiple stages free entry, bring your own booze, camping is only a fiver I think.
WWW.PSYCLE.INFO
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2018 at 5:17pm
True rms, what ever it means (really short burst?) I just mesured mine and got these results:

Single channel @ 8ohm resistive load: 64Volts = 512Watts
Bridged @ 8ohms: 106Volts before clipping occurs (checked with scope too!) = 1404Watts, which equals to 702W / 4ohm / channel.  

Tested at 40Hz, 80Hz, 800Hz continuous sine wave.. not much difference to say. 

I also measured Tamp TA1400 which seemed to give similar results, exceeding the claimed 1200W/8ohm brdged output power. Carlsbro.. not quite.

Rail voltage, unloaded:  +/-110Volts  (TA1400 has +/-115Volts).

Carlsbro 2000 is a nice amp anyway as it is. Robust build quality. 

Edit:
Did some burst tests too.  Carlsbro does give about 2kW / 8ohms for up to 3-4 sinewave cycles (80Hz). Any longer and it will clip.

Edited by Tonskulus - 23 December 2018 at 5:53pm
electronicsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electronicsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 10:35pm
Hello!
I have a problem regarding fixing my Carlsbro powerline pro 2000.
You said , that you worked there. I will give a link
To diy audio forum discussion and i will appreciate any help, as for now
I am in complete darkness.

Link: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/main-boards-and-power-supply-from-carlsbro-powerline-pro-2000.385632/

Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply