Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Speakerplans Classics > Other Classics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi speaker geeks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by bassmattmatty bassmattmatty wrote:

I've read loads of topics on line array systems and you have only got to look at all the big events to see them being used day in day out world wide.

No doggy poo sherlock

You can have all the best toys...... and no-one to play them to if you have no clients?

Where will you be airing your new toys..?

.p.

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 10:58pm
line arrays are used for a good reason - to cover VERY large areas! talking thousands. I believe in larger indoor venues they are hard to get right. As i said I know little about them.

Say you just had your first driving lesson, would you go out and buy a porshe and insure it and wack L plates on it? or buy something more suited? Like a corsa/fiesta
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 10:59pm

Yes but as i said before i have my heart set on a line array system.

I dont mean to offend anyone, but you sound exactly like the mobile DJs here who call themselves production companies.. Yes, some of them may have a linearray system, some may even have digital desks, but common for 95% of them is that they have no clue..

if you want a linearray, you need to spend quite a chunk more cash if you want to get something as rider friendly and powerful as a pile of Martin W8, Turbo Flash/flood etc.

30K of JBL VRX will get you into hotel ballrooms w. coverbands
300K of d&b will get you into the same ballrooms w. big name acts
30K of used Floodlights or W8 will get you the same ballrooms w. cover bands - AND the ability to do much larger gigs, or more gigs at a time..

The issue you mention about lifting heavy cabinets is not a problem.. Most promoters will offer some volunteer hands to help at loadin and loadout.. - Its just a matter of putting it in the contract..

Another issue if you go the linearray route:
Your get a call for a rig to go in the local venue...  The usual guy does the show w. 1 stack of W8 per side, groundstacked..

to get the same SPL you need 3* VRX932 per side.. IOW you have to bring in 6 cabs per side, a pair of *large* towerstands - or go in the roof and rig some points...   I am guessing that you save atleast 30 minutes and a fair chunk of truck space by going with a conventional system..

On top of that, there are many venues where a linearray rig just wouldnt work...

real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
bassmattmatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmattmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:01pm

I intend advertise loads and use social networking sites to boost hires.

Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:03pm
By the sound of things, i'm not sure you should be spending any money on any equipment. This sounds like a recipe for disaster
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:04pm
let us know when you get this line array and every one of us will come out in support, right guys?
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmattmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:05pm
I'am sure d&b doesn't cost 300k
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:06pm
if you buy enough of it

Sound Hire
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:07pm

I'am sure d&b doesn't cost 300k

Think again... for a decent size system for 5000 plus people you`ll not get much change from 300k.

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:09pm

You cant say that doesn't look nice.....

Enjoy your self...... It's later than you think.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmattmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:09pm
I want 8 cabinets a side with 6 bass bins a side all the amps and XTA gear for just under £30000 which i'am sure can be done even if i have to buy used like peter said.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmattmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 11:12pm
Funktion one only works for dance music and wont do rock n roll which is what i also intend on doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>