Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix STR3000H in Dub Clash Scandal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matrix STR3000H in Dub Clash Scandal
    Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:04am
Was recently told a dub sound in recent clash had a rack of Matrix STR3000H in 4 ohm bridge, driving 8x scoops and it sounded very heavy indeed, especially competing with 9001s and Destructor amps Clap.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/dub-school-14-11-freedom-maba-shanti-i-jah-voice_topic31797.html

Some of us already knew they could do this, nice to see it in top circles "finally".

Maybe this could spur Andy to make "just a few more", in original spec. LOL

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 7:50am
How many on how many?Is that the lightweight ones ?

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 9:14am

naw not lightweight ones i'm guessing. str3000h are these:

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 9:21am
Originally posted by el chupacabra el chupacabra wrote:

That's right, the STR 3000H.. My fav matrix amp..

Amp expert recently told me, number of output devices per channel, is a major factor in amplifier damping... Well, well ,well... LOL

Thinks its time for the Save our STR3000 Society..

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 11:49am
if andy just took that amp and made it bigger, it'd be an abosolute winner. 
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

if andy just took that amp and made it bigger, it'd be an abosolute winner. 

He won't have any of it mate, been begging for months.

I "think" he said there are enough trannies in there to do 3K per channel @ 2 ohms.

So if that lot was stuck in 3U case, with 8KVA Transformer, and  Bridge rectifiers/Smoothing capable of 4KVA per channel, Full time fans... Shocked

Oh.. And not forgetting digital led amp meter... Wink

Sick sub, for those of us who dont mind bit slightly heavier amp.

Edited by levyte357 - 19 November 2009 at 12:12pm
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:27pm
actually, you'll find that the lightweight 3000s put out the same or slightly more sub than the old transformer ones,  the SMPS supply is a lot "stiffer" than the old toroidal one ...  and those bloody great toroids were expensive and time consuming to wind,  the switch mode ones have at least as much oomph, no worries.

As for the bigger 4K a side model .. well, I can't speak for Andyamp ... you'll just have to keep asking ..  last I heard he was working on the final cosmetics of the current products ... but, you know what hes like ... set him a challenge and he can't resist it ...

I suppose if he gets stuck  on the design he can always get Rog to help him out Wacko
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by el chupacabra el chupacabra wrote:

Amp expert recently told me, number of output devices per channel, is a major factor in amplifier damping... Well, well ,well... LOL

Thinks its time for the Save our STR3000 Society..

Its a not the shear number of output devices, its their  Rds on value too ... the newer amps have better damping factor .. silicon has advanced a lot ... I think you'll find in terms of output impedance and damping factor and also the peak current capability, the newer ones out perform the older ones.

Still if you do like the older ones .. .theres several thousand out there ... shouldn't be hard to track a bargain one down :)
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

As for the bigger 4K a side model .. well, I can't speak for Andyamp ... you'll just have to keep asking .. 

For the moment, prefer "my" sub driven by torroidials.

Didnt want 4K per side amp.

Just standard STR 3000H, plus  PSU sections over built by approx 33%, to allow main board to "fully" perform, with adequate supply.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 2:57pm
fair enough ... they always did do the business,  and they seem to go on forever ...  theres over a thousand  STR3000H's out there .. so they should pop up from time to time.
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 10:33am
The final output impedance (and hence damping factor) of any amplifier that uses 'normal' quantities of negative feedback has very little to do with the power output devices, particularly at low frequencies.
Without getting too technical, an amplifier uses feedback to ensure it's output is a faithful copy of the input. Without this feedback most amplifiers would have lots of distortion and a significant output impedance, regardless of the number of output devices or their RDSon (in the case of MOSFET's).
It is the level of correction the amplifier can apply (which is the same as the amount of feedback applied) which ensures the output is the correct voltage regardless of load. More feedback gain therefore gives an amplifier a lower output impedance (=better damping factor).

In theory you could remove all but 2 of the output devices of an amplifier and it would still sound virtually the same up to the point where the devices blow up due to lack of current/power handling.

I'm oversimplifying it somewhat but essentially more output devices does NOT imply better damping factor, the two are not directly related. It is possible to build an amp with 100 output devices but with such low feedback gain that its output impedance could be 1 ohm at low output levels (damping factor of 2 for 2 ohm loads!)

So whats the recipe for a good bass amp? Well it may need lots of output current, a stiff power supply etc. but I suspect it's what the engineer does with the feedback loop that far outweigh's any of these concerns.......
Let the arguments commence LOL

David.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by teslaman teslaman wrote:

Without getting too technical,

Excellent post, constructive explanation of opinion.

Please continue...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>