Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matrix STR3000H in Dub Clash Scandal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:16pm
ClownLOL
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:55pm
I don't know as there's much more I can say. A good amplifier needs a great power supply, enough output devices to do the job etc. but it can still be cr*p if the amp circuit design is poor or the feedback is not skillfully applied....
Some amps just appear to be able to do the job better than others, despite similar toroidal ratings, reservoir capacitor size, output device quantity etc. Why is this?

Andy, I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to with that clown face? I'll assume not as I don't think i've said anything too controversial or that constitutes complete fiction. If you do disagree though I'd be interested to know your thoughts, it's good to discuss these things amongst fellow engineers.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by andyamp andyamp wrote:

ClownLOL
  ?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Dougies Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougies Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 2:49pm
Ok, so what about the one in the middle.
i.e the xp3000 torriodal?

Can this handle 4r bridged in the same way the str3000 can?

And if so, what about the torroidal xp2000?

Been looking for a definitive answer on this for a while....
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 2:53pm
yes it can They are the same amplifier.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougies Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:00pm
Sweet.

Well I'm gona go out on a whim then and run my 8ohm C-subs (loaded with kilomax Dead until i can afford some v18-1000s) at 4r bridge on my xp2000.

I'll try not to push em too hard. Just only getting about 650-700 watts through the driver at the moment so no headroom... 

Edited by Dougies Music - 20 November 2009 at 3:03pm
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:18pm
the 2k will put 2k into the bins bridge at 8 at 4 it will do around 2.5k.
the 2k will run cooler than the 3k as it has the same heatsinks and fans.
i have a lot of customers that run the old toridal amps bridge at 4.
as to how well it runs has a lot to do with the way they are used.
i have only seen 2 xp3000's that have been killed by heat damage.
however the customer did bridge them at 2 ohms.
so if they get to hot the amp will trip out anyway.

And as to the 2 toridal transformers i re built them in my coil winding shop.Big smile
as i like to make my own transformers cos i like to make the best power suppliesClap
but then i don't talk about making amplifiers and designing them,
i just amplify the signal for my customers and hopefully help them Make music Approve
noise pollution some would sayLOL

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:20pm

Also Andy, few things Regarding STR3000, (If you can remember them from so long ago)

a) Whats the total smoothing capacitance per channel, and also ripple voltage of the smoothing caps?

b)What are the Secondary Voltage Outputs on the Transformer?

c)Do you have any of the 3U cases left?

d)Could you fit a 5KVa Torroidial if requested ?

Cheers.

Edited by levyte357 - 20 November 2009 at 3:34pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:27pm
no told you this before, both str and xp have the same transformer.
the pcb in the str3000 was fitted to the xp transformer amplifier, there was 3 different pcb,s in the str
however.
the first 50 strs had the antrim transformer in them and the rest were made in house.
when i meet you oneday i can give you the winding sheet,and the settings for my RUFF RW3 Toridal winder.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dougies Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Except STR3000H has older bigger transformer, and XP3000H has something different?

LOL This argument rears its head again!

I'm pretty sure this has been cleared up before, Andy said whilst the transformer was larger in physical size in the STR, the XP range had a more powerful transformer.

cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by teslaman teslaman wrote:

Andy, I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to with that clown face?

Hmm tricky to tell ...  was it you that said someting about "sounding the same if you took everyting except 2 of the FETs out"?
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
teslaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teslaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:10am
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

Originally posted by teslaman teslaman wrote:

Andy, I'm not sure if it's me you're referring to with that clown face?

Hmm tricky to tell ...  was it you that said someting about "sounding the same if you took everyting except 2 of the FETs out"?

I did say that and I fail to see why that would be considered a joke in the context of the argument. Parallel output devices are simply used to increase current/power handling, this has negligible effect on the closed loop transfer function and hence the "sound" of the amplifier at low frequencies. Removing the paralleled devices simply means the amp will self-destruct if you cranked it too far - it does not mean it will sound any different which was my point. I also maintain the damping factor will not show any significant change.
Obviously this "experimental" amp would be unusable for normal duties as it would blow up if you tried to pull, for the sake of argument, 20% of rated power, but up until that point I bet no-one would hear the difference or be able to measure a significant performance difference....  The feedback would see to that.

If anyone has a differing opinion please post it, the reason I post here is to learn, just like 99% of everyone else on here, thats why forum's can be great places. What I object to, to some extent, is being called a clown when no counter argument is given; I can't learn from that!
If someone doesn't want to discuss the issue thats fine but don't criticise those who are! As a newbie this tends to leave a sour taste and put me off from posting again.

Would people be so quick to judge if my forum name was "Ben Duncan research", I doubt it Smile
Give a newbie a chance!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>