Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifiction to HD15 Flare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighLift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifiction to HD15 Flare
    Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:06pm
Does the HD15 flare need to be curved?
I've noticed quite a few around with 5 or 6 straight sections making up the  flare but why not less say 3 sections.
For example:

if the chamber volume is the same as the original curved flare what adverse effects could this have?

edit:spelling

Edited by HighLift - 19 November 2009 at 10:27pm
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:38am
general concensus is that 5 straight sections is the closest and easiest way to get very close to the original shape of the curved section. I believe Heathrow B Line did a pdf file which shows you how to cut the wood to get use 5 straight bits of wood instead of the curve. I cant remember the length of each one but the angle was an 81 degree mitre on both ends of each of the 5 panels. If you search in this section you should find i.

edit: found it - http://www.bl-online.org/users/lasse.lukkari/hd215/HD215.pdf
its 124.7mm outside edge and an 81 deg mitre on both ends for the 5.

I dont know if anyone has done a 3 sectioned one before but i doubt it. Have you calculated the change in chamber volumes and horn flair rate?certainly be interested if you have.

Edited by fat_brstd - 20 November 2009 at 12:41am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 12:57am
i think someone did one where they cut (can't remember how much tbh) about 12mm through a single piece of wood in 4 places and folded it slightly on the cuts.. to get the 5 piece sectional curve.. can't remember who... mykey may have been in the thread, or he may have even suggested it...
HighLift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighLift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 6:57am
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

general concensus is that 5 straight sections is the closest and easiest way to get very close to the original shape of the curved section. I believe Heathrow B Line did a pdf file which shows you how to cut the wood to get use 5 straight bits of wood instead of the curve. I cant remember the length of each one but the angle was an 81 degree mitre on both ends of each of the 5 panels. If you search in this section you should find i.

edit: found it - http://www.bl-online.org/users/lasse.lukkari/hd215/HD215.pdf
its 124.7mm outside edge and an 81 deg mitre on both ends for the 5.

Cheers FB: This'll be a plan B

Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

I dont know if anyone has done a 3 sectioned one before but i doubt it. Have you calculated the change in chamber volumes and horn flair rate?certainly be interested if you have.

Well the chamber volumes wouldn't be a problem to calculate so they're the same as the original HD15, but the horn flare rate is what I'm worried about.
I was planning on just dividing the (roughly) quarter circle into three, so that the joints on the straight parts are equidistant.

I'll get some drawings up of a design proposal, but to be honest I don't have a clue what considerations need to be made concerning the flare rate.

Any advice in this department would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by <span id=userPro329315 =showDropDown'userPro329315', 'proMenu329315', 160, 0; =msgSidePro title=View Drop Down>cravings</span> cravings wrote:

i think someone did one where they cut (can't remember how much tbh) about 12mm through a single piece of wood in 4 places and folded it slightly on the cuts.. to get the 5 piece sectional curve.. can't remember who... mykey may have been in the thread, or he may have even suggested it...

Hi Cravings: I tried that but birch ply snaps pretty easily and I'm not really up for MDF. I have access to a good table saw that can cut angles well so I don't have a problem cutting the individual parts and gluing them with PU glue.
HighLift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighLift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 3:10pm
Here's the draft:

You can just make out the outer face line (R395mm) of the original curved flare in red.

The 3 parts are 212mm on the longest face and each part has 75° angles both ends.
A bit has been chopped of at the throat area to keep consistency with the original design.
There's a chamber volume difference from the original curved design of +20cm3. These cm3s will be taken up by handles ;-)

Now the question remains...
Could there be any adverse effects of this design modification???

Anyone done an AB test of the curved design against the 5 sided one from HBL???
If so, any noticable difference??

Should I just go for it????

Edited by HighLift - 20 November 2009 at 3:21pm
schiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:55am
Originally posted by HighLift HighLift wrote:

Does the HD15 flare need to be curved?
I've noticed quite a few around with 5 or 6 straight sections making up the  flare but why not less say 3 sections.
For example:

if the chamber volume is the same as the original curved flare what adverse effects could this have?

None. even if you build it with 3 straight sections

HighLift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HighLift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 5:02pm
Done them with 3 sections. Shocked

backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 5:07pm
WOW that looks impressive!
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 5:10pm
The three section thing would be fine, i really like the look of it also
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 5:21pm
I think a 2 section would look cool, much more like a funktion one style band pass just got to make sure the driver fits and the internal volume of the rear chamber stays the same!

<or 1 section might be nice >
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 9:40pm
yea 1 section 1 curved sectionTongue

Edited by djyves - 30 December 2009 at 9:40pm
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by djyves djyves wrote:

yea 1 section 1 curved sectionTongue

Sound Hire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>