Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CERWIN VEGA-dsm200 (DUAL SPRUCE MOOSE)mid top info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CERWIN VEGA-dsm200 (DUAL SPRUCE MOOSE)mid top info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CERWIN VEGA-dsm200 (DUAL SPRUCE MOOSE)mid top info
    Posted: 09 December 2009 at 11:23pm
Hi, Ive been trying to find any info on these beasts for ages.
They are 2x 2" comp and 1x 1" tweet. They are v. loud , app 130db.
I think they were considered pro tour gear once..late 80's??

any help please.. they are a folded horn flare type thing, cheers.

all i know is they are loud , wanna kno where to crossover into 10" or 12"

cerwin vega techs have no info on them or the drivers in em,!?

trying to get a pic up..
Cookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2009 at 1:39am
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/494/109/n50406731156_1291.jpg

think link works.. big horn 2nd frm top.  
Vegaguy49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vegaguy49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 2:46pm
If you ever want to sell them id love to buy them....
Vegaguy49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vegaguy49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Cookie Cookie wrote:

Hi, Ive been trying to find any info on these beasts for ages.
They are 2x 2" comp and 1x 1" tweet. They are v. loud , app 130db.
I think they were considered pro tour gear once..late 80's??

any help please.. they are a folded horn flare type thing, cheers.

all i know is they are loud , wanna kno where to crossover into 10" or 12"

cerwin vega techs have no info on them or the drivers in em,!?

trying to get a pic up..

They have two mf-162 mids angled into 1 horn... as well as a smallhorn .
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 3:07pm
I installed 6 of them into a club in Kent a long time back together with a pile of JE36 bass horns, loud yes, they was very loud but no finesse at all, I found them to be very harsh, I used to have photo's of the drivers I'll see if I still have them.
Edit the boxes I installed had passive crossovers in them although we also fitting an active crossover for safety (at slightly lower frequency's) but I can't remember the crossover points we used.

Edited by colint - 03 April 2021 at 3:10pm
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 7:25pm
The two 2" drivers were phenolic diaphragms, and meant to drop down to 250hz on these, never a good combination, so the result ,although loud, was very harsh and painful.
Be seeing you.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 11:51pm
  Years ago I had a pair of M162 comps on some big 90x40 2" horns covering upper mid range from 1.5khz and up with a pair of Fane 1" comps on a 7khz passive crossover above, even crossed that high the sound quality wasn't fantastic but they were VERY loud, I think even a JBL 2445 would have been a few db down, I had to put a huge amount of high eq on the Fanes just to be able to hear them! I still have the spruce moose aluminium mounting adaptors for them on the shelf in the garage if they're any use to anyone?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 6:40pm
We were given four of the DSMs back in the seventies by the Cerwin Vega importers in the hope of selling us a large quantity of them in the future along with an advertising campaign.
We advised them that we would be by-passing the built in passive Xovers as we were running on four way electronics back then and we were given a week to play about with them.
On the first day we decided to try them on the built in passive units and whilst being very loud, they just did not sound very nice at all even with major adjustment on our KT graphics to try and get a reasonable quality
performance out of them.
Throughout all testing we were using them with four Martin Audio MK1 2x15 Gauss loaded bass horns.
The day after when we had split the feeds into them to wire into the drivers direct we had a good play for a lengthy time including reversing phasing on the drivers in turn and eventually we managed to get a half decent sound out of them but I have to say that the fader plot on the KT graphics was a real joke to look at having massive "notches" removed almost completely on certain frequencies.
At the end of the week, we sent them back after re-wiring them to standard along with our findings and some Polaroid pics of the graphics.
After that we never heard a thing from them--not even a phone call to discuss the problems that we had found so obviously we never bought any of them even though the promotional campaign went ahead but apparently not very successfully and we heard through the trade that they ended up selling all the ones shipped to the UK at a very low trade price to get rid of them.

Edited by Robbo - 04 April 2021 at 6:41pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2021 at 9:58am
That's interesting John.

Do you recall the 'full range' version they did? A huge thing, the spruse-moose affair at the top,with an 18" folded horn in the bottom section, weighed like an elephant,and retailed for a daft £1500 or something. I recall Avitec trying to knock them out new around £500 a piece to clear their stock. Would have been around 1987-88 time.
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2021 at 10:53am
Don't remember them Ian as we had moved on to Martin and Mega throughout our hire inventory by the early 80s but I can recall Vega having some real strange ideas back then.
We had some very nice looking Vega cabinets that we originally bought for our top cabinets in sidefilll stacks but it did not take us long to realise that going from a 189E 18" bass driver to two 1" mid/hi drivers on Y throat radials along with a built in Piezo array did not work at all and left a massive gap in the vocal frequency range which resulted in a lot of our acts complaining that they could not hear the vocals at all.
Vega were always regarded as disco cabinets in the trade back then especially when Avitec picked up distribution in the UK and the only Live large touring rig in the UK owned by Bob Doyles Texserv company was the only time that I ever heard a Vega rig without the traditional mid range gap in the frequency response but Bob had got it sussed as he used a lot of 12" mid drivers in cabinets that the crew nicknamed the "Dogkennels" but they certainly did a real good job on top of his barn door 2x18 earthquake boxes.
Obi12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2021 at 9:08pm
I have a pair for sale if you're interested
Therapist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 11:28am
I have 4 for sale if you're genuinely interested. Up for doing trades too maybe for some drivers or loaded cabs. Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>