Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Citronic Consoles, mixers and amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 98>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2009 at 11:08pm
Could do with a couple of spare bits for the SM650 if anybodys got anything?
100% Earth Moving Bass
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 1:22am
Good grief. I only got into working in proper venues 8 years ago, and at the first place there was one more modern Citronic mixer installed in one of the DJ booths. The Citronic was duly judged against the Allen&Heath Xones and Pioneer DJM's in the mobile inventory and acquired the nickname "the Sh!tronic"! 

Seems the standard there has dropped significantly since these models were current. I've never seen a Citronic mixer of any vintage in any other club since then!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 7:34am
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Good grief. I only got into working in proper venues 8 years ago, and at the first place there was one more modern Citronic mixer installed in one of the DJ booths. The Citronic was duly judged against the Allen&Heath Xones and Pioneer DJM's in the mobile inventory and acquired the nickname "the Sh!tronic"! 

Seems the standard there has dropped significantly since these models were current. I've never seen a Citronic mixer of any vintage in any other club since then!

Thats because the later citronic stuff isn't brit made any more? citronic were quite a small company but the products were made with care and very well made hence why the surviving stuff still works and still sounds good (wonder if any pioneer mixers willl  still be working in 20 years time)

The SM450/SM650 was the back bone of our installs until the matamp supernover came out (which most club owners freaked out when they were quoted the price for it)  and then the formla sound pm80 took over, both of these mixers were almost 3 time the price of the citronic.

The jap/china built stuff didn't really suface until Numark changed factorys from the usa to china then things started to go down hill rapidly, ctironc couldn't compete with the prices (the top of the range numak 1775 with a sampler was about £400).
From there on the PM80 took over in the clubs and the newer (china made) citronic kit was destined to be for entry level mobile Dj's
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 9:21am
Nice photos Gaz.

To follow-on what Colin is saying,the same thing applies to the english Citronic amps,beautifully made,completely over-engineered for the task, (look at a ppx450,large power supply,12 hitachi mosfets each with its own fuse,2 large heat sinks,5 inch fan,and weighs 17kgs,all to produce just 2x225 watts!),but the result of this attention to detail is that 25years later,they are still working fine.

I wouldnt like to bet that any chinese amp,no matter who makes it,will still be working after that length of time.

Be seeing you.
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by colint colint wrote:

MH, I had one of those too! I fitted mine with a pair of dual hi-fi turn tables with vari-speed (the first consol I could mix on) another great console with wicked sound quality for  the day!

it's such a crying shame Citronic were sold off just imagine what kit they would have been producing now days? they were a really nice bunch of people too, great to do trade with!

@ Ian, I know it's slightly of topic, but do you have any ice electrics kit or pictures?
Here you are Colin I braved the -10 outside to get the Ice 6000 out of the unit
I must try it out sometime  It has a few knobs missing but not in bad condition has the original PSU with it as well
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

Could do with a couple of spare bits for the SM650 if anybodys got anything?
Yes nice pics there Gaz  especially the SA400`s  Ive never seen these before  loads of SA200`s
I think these were built to compete with the Soundout slaves
Love to see a big hi res pic of the SA400 rack

What spares are you after ? I have quite a collection I got from Apollo from the factory clearout
BUt hardly any sliders left only very small ones
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 5:42pm
main thing is one of the cue switches is a bit dodgey, could really do with a new one of those, also I'm missing the knobs off one of the channels and the crossfade. Have you any knobs for the SM450? I'm missing a few of those too. I'll take a better picture of my SA 400's for you.
100% Earth Moving Bass
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:23pm
Heres a better picture of my SA400's

Switched on with VU meters lit up

And the back. I've added the speakon sockets as these only originally had binding posts.

And my SM650

100% Earth Moving Bass
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2009 at 6:28pm
Strewth, now I know why when a PPX comes up on ebay, ut gets whipped away.

I'd love to recreate my old system, triamp'd with a 1200, 900 and 450 (wish I could remember what crossover I used), but bidding competition tends to squash me!

I'll get some frames of my Iowa and Hawaii posted soon - over the back of the farm where I keep kit at I'm sure I've still got a pair of the old Citronic 'timber fronted' bass bins and matching horns too.

Greg

Edited by GregM - 19 December 2009 at 7:18pm
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:03am
I've just realised - the original Hawaii console I had looked a little different, unfortuntely I dont have any photos of it and it's long gone to a new home.

It had what may have been an early variation of what becme the SM506 mixer, not seen one like it in any of the photo's posted so far. 

It was very similar to the 506 from the mic controls on the left side right across the four main channel faders then it was different.  Instead of the two led ladder VU's, it had a single 5 or 6 led display laterally across (not an analogue VU i've seen in some images).  

Selecting pfl, wasn't via the little red push buttons of a 506, it was a 5-way rotary switch directly under the led display.

The other main difference was the deck start switches, they werent toggles below the faders, they were over on the righthand side of the mixer , below the 'Hawaii' name and were square grey coloured push-on, push-off non latching switches, each with a red led built in.

Anybody know what this version was, or even have a photo of the mixer?

Edited by GregM - 20 December 2009 at 11:06am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 11:34am
Is this the model Greg? the Hawaii popular mk11,with the mm313 mixer? it was a "budget hawaii" being mono....they offered it in both the "popular" case,covered in black vinyl,or in the better wooden-trimmed case.
Be seeing you.
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2009 at 12:07pm
JBL_Man - now that's close, but it's not the model I had.

Mine was stereo, and had a 6 channel mixer, four main faders rather than 3 of the MM313 model, covering 2x decks, Tape and Aux.  Also had the seperate left and right master controls (per the Stereo version above).

Deck start switches weren't rockers - they were 'electronic' swiches, non latching push-on, push-off, not as far across as the ones above, but located directly below the Stereo Hawaii logo on the Stereo version you posted.

I'm going to have to rummage my photoboxes sometime over Xmas in the vague hope of a photo or two.

Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 98>