Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:45pm
Unfortunately I've not heard a 12" scoop, but I've built one of these MTH's, and I shoved a JBL GT-4, some terrible run of the mill car sub, and it works really well. The cone is plastic, so I knew it wouldn't rip, didn't smell anything burning all night and it gave a really dominant underlying sub to my Void Mycro's

Before, we used to find that we had enough bass from the Mycro's, then I found out that my Basys had an 80hz low pass cut on it LOL. Any who, I took two Mycro 8's and a MTH-30 to a pub, I'd say its a medium sized room, very high ceilings. The MTH really surprised me, with only 200w for the best part of the night it gave clean, clear defined bass all the way up to 120hz. We were on hire, so the DJ's were playing some god awful Oldskool/Hardcore (No offence) but as you guys know, it does have very strong and long bass lines, perfect for testing this particular cab.

Put it this way, I'm building 3 more and have ordered the PD's already.

Edited by loonie - 26 May 2010 at 8:58pm
Team DB
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:03pm
Ha Ha!
good to hear you like them so much.

I have found it funny that you Brits
dog the TH's a bit when you love the Lab 12's.
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:36pm
I think a nice 18" TH would be nice, I'm not amazed with the output just yet, just said I enjoy it a lot Tongue

Us Brits are all about the underdog LOL.
Team DB
tobiazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobiazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:58pm
Hey could one of you guys sim this driver in the MTH-30 for me?

12" 8ohm 280w RMS (thomann speaker (40£))
sens(1w/1m) 95db
fs 50.6hz
qms:6.33
qes: 0.51
qts: 0.47
mms:57.8gr
vas: 72.8l
le: 1.1 mH
BL: 14.3

Would be realy nice of you ! :)
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 8:17pm
i been following this thread and have decided to start plans on building a single box for bass augmentation on my little rig.

i have sourced a cerwin vega stroker 12" with a real 11.5mm xmax.  

my question is with regard to xmax benefits in the mini tapped horn design.

assuming my stroker 12" with its 11.5mm xmax and 92db/1w sensitivity was driven to mechanical limit, will the stroker woofer output be as much (or similar) to what an 18" driver with 5.75mm xmax driver driven to its mechanical limit would be kicking out?  obviously its gonna take more power to reach 11.5mm xmax than 5.75mm xmax.

reason i ask is that the stroker will be shifting pretty much the same air at full xmax as what an average 18" from eminence will, but i wont need a huge tapped horn loaded with an 18".

when i say 'real xmax' the top plate on the stroker 12" is about 13mm deep. 
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
Oscar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2010 at 3:04pm
I've been on the ledge as to what to do with my 12" Stroker as well......I've been modeling FLH's and TH's nearly daily for the last few weeks to try and decide what I want....gimme a few min to load up the snapshots of the sims.....

first of all, the T/S parameters as measured:

Tapped Horn:

TH input parameters:

tapped horn excursion @ 68V into 4 ohms:

FLH:

FLH input parameters:

FLH excursion @ 73V into 4 ohms:

with a 3rd or 4th order HPF in the low-30s, it should curb the unloading below 40 Hz

Edited by Oscar - 15 June 2010 at 6:31pm
rizzardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rizzardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 12:36pm
Hi Guys,

about MTH-30

first: excuse me for my bad english

second: I'm searching a cutlist for this design... i haven't software to draw it then I can't realize this project.

can you help me?
if anybody has draw it, can post it? I think that I can be very useful for all !!!

thanks a lot
Bass is good when they move our trousers
skippyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 9:13pm
http://www.freespeakerplans.com/mth-30/Page-15.html
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:01pm
One thing that has been bugging me? why don't any of the Major manufacture's make a tapped horn? They seem to be quite good for a small box and if so why isn't there more made by the bigger company's?
Apart from Danley does anyone know of anyone else producing a tapped horn?
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:20pm
rcf.
check 1015 plan. Or the "rcf bass bin" similar to the stipe microscoop with one fold less. May be thunderidge sb1000, but I only watch some photos. May be some others..
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:22pm
That is easy.
Because Danley created it and it is only 3 years old.
So far only Yorkville (VTC in Canada - same company) have licensed it.

It is strictly high end so far.
Except for the HT stuff. He has produced both the Spud 8 and the newer DTS 10 (which is a dual 12" so go figure the naming) The SPud is $800-900 US and the DTS 10 was offered as a $1K flat pack DIY.
Not sure cost now.

The TH Mini is $1295.00
The Th 115 is $3300 esk
The TH 221 is $10 K esk

jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:25pm
correct me if I am wrong but when I was at Infocomm earlier in the month they where talking about patents on there designs - not sure if this also includes the actual tapped horn layout..
Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>