Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ipod vs vinyl - really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

the scary thing about this thread is the number of people saying 128kbps can be better than a well produced, mastered and cut vinyl with its infinate 'kbs'.  a seasoned vinyl listener ignores the crackle because of the audio benefits a vinyl offers.

now, my point is that id imagine a number of these 'mp3 is better than vinyl' guys are running or building rigs.  would it be rude to suggest that these rigs may be being designed and tuned to the preference of someone unable to notice the difference between material with as much as 10 times difference in the audio information.  its like someone saying they prefer the quality of a 1 megapixel cameraphone over a medium format shot by a professional photographer.  my grandfather couldnt tell the difference because his eyes are shot.  could it be the same situation with the ears of some posters in this topic? 

when i play vinyl i generally tweek the eq to boost the band between 200hz-1khz, sometimes as much as 3db.  sometimes i have to boost the 5-10k area by 2db.  once i have it balanced i know for a fact that a good ortofon concord on a 1210 will eat any 128k mp3 for breakfast.  320k gets harder to tell in terms of quality.  A cd gets even harder and its more a case of whether or not the anologue 'physical' addition a vinyl makes is something you dig or not.

Clap well said

i use a 1210, with 4g on the needle, and an ortofon concorde with qbert tip for the hi-output. 

and balanced cables thruought. 

you can really tell the difference between the quality pressings then - especially at 120db+. 

anything under 44.1khz really doesnt stand a chance agaisnt this ^ 

flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

i can actually hear the difference between an mp3 and high quality (some people can't amazingly) 
do u know the older you get  your hearing etc etc goes downhill.... goin sessions for 30+ yrs speeds up hearing loss 

if your vinyls are crakced scratched to the extent that theyre bad quality, dont play them! 
id still play them if its a good revive tune as many sounds still do nowa days...... "play a good old crackle up tune"

lol lol lol if that was the new trend nuff nuff very good tunes wont get playd......
IT WILL BE A GOOD SESSION
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by flyer flyer wrote:

i can actually hear the difference between an mp3 and high quality (some people can't amazingly) 
do u know the older you get  your hearing etc etc goes downhill.... goin sessions for 30+ yrs speeds up hearing loss 

if your vinyls are crakced scratched to the extent that theyre bad quality, dont play them! 
id still play them if its a good revive tune as many sounds still do nowa days...... "play a good old crackle up tune"

lol lol lol if that was the new trend nuff nuff very good tunes wont get playd......

i do know hearing goes downhill - ive started using earplugs more and more now.... it's something that genuinely scares me. 

in actual fact some of the best crackle ups ive heard have been from channel one, and they still sound better than mp3. 

Edited by Saul - 24 December 2009 at 9:31pm
King Simeon View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Simeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 9:49pm
This topic has gone round a few times before. It seems the more people talk and learn more stuff about it, the more people make out the differences. Most people would not notice much difference other than a possible hum from vinyl. 

I think there are more differences/nuances in peoples studios/productions than in the difference between mp3/vinyl.

If you talk to folks that have been in the biz for a good few years you'll hear a few good stories about the industry... DolbyNr was the funniest one i heard... 

Like Flyer, I prefer hearing a decent tune, whatever format it's on, as long as its played well. Someone playing a way too scratchy record would be rubbish, as would a low grade mp3 sounding like a robot trying to sing, glitchy glitchy...! 

As far as i know, Aba only plays CD when he's playing abroad/other peoples sets, never his own sound... as said b4, that would be a bit crazy i imagine!Confused 

Not trying to spin the discussion further, just my 2cents. Cos it's the season to be jolly... innit!!LOL
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound?ref=stream     
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 10:27pm

i do know hearing goes downhill - ive started using earplugs more and more now.... it's something that genuinely scares me. 
  very good idea it suprises me wen i c people stood wid them back lean up against certain sound system box & no hearing plugsConfused, even worse iv seen some push them head in a horm mouth & enjoying itConfused

some of the best crackle ups
crackle ups LOLLOLLOL....

4 me chan 1 always gets a Thumbs Up 
IT WILL BE A GOOD SESSION
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by flyer flyer wrote:

very good idea it suprises me wen i c people stood wid them back lean up against certain sound system box & no hearing plugsConfused, even worse iv seen some push them head in a horm mouth & enjoying itConfused

some of the best crackle ups
crackle ups LOLLOLLOL....

4 me chan 1 always gets a Thumbs Up 

yep im amazed people stand by the speaker boxes - surely it sounds horrible there too. 

channel one roots king.Clap
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2009 at 1:55am
Originally posted by SUFFERER SUFFERER wrote:

Pretty sure ive seen him play cds.

on his system no Angry
playing abroad yes due to weight restrictionsOuch
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2009 at 9:53am

Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

the scary thing about this thread is the number of people saying 128kbps can be better than a well produced, mastered and cut vinyl with its infinate 'kbs'.  a seasoned vinyl listener ignores the crackle because of the audio benefits a vinyl offers.

now, my point is that id imagine a number of these 'mp3 is better than vinyl' guys are running or building rigs.  would it be rude to suggest that these rigs may be being designed and tuned to the preference of someone unable to notice the difference between material with as much as 10 times difference in the audio information.  its like someone saying they prefer the quality of a 1 megapixel cameraphone over a medium format shot by a professional photographer.  my grandfather couldnt tell the difference because his eyes are shot.  could it be the same situation with the ears of some posters in this topic? 

when i play vinyl i generally tweek the eq to boost the band between 200hz-1khz, sometimes as much as 3db.  sometimes i have to boost the 5-10k area by 2db.  once i have it balanced i know for a fact that a good ortofon concord on a 1210 will eat any 128k mp3 for breakfast.  320k gets harder to tell in terms of quality.  A cd gets even harder and its more a case of whether or not the anologue 'physical' addition a vinyl makes is something you dig or not.

Clap well said

i use a 1210, with 4g on the needle, and an ortofon concorde with qbert tip for the hi-output. 

and balanced cables thruought. 

you can really tell the difference between the quality pressings then - especially at 120db+. 

anything under 44.1khz really doesnt stand a chance agaisnt this ^ 

i put a 5p coin on my needle

ortofon carts really do sound good but recently ive been using my pickerings cart n needle
SUFFERER View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUFFERER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2009 at 6:18pm
Look at these mans getting bummy because i said aba used a CD, i seen him at notting hill 2 years back. 
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2009 at 7:54pm

Look at these mans getting bummy because i said aba used a CD, i seen him at notting hill 2 years back. 

HE HE HEE
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2009 at 11:47pm

i for one have never seen aba play CD. 
SUFFERER View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUFFERER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 3:44pm
Well untill u do, dont comment.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>