Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ipod vs vinyl - really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

vinyl would have sounded better to you before you became acustomed to teh over compressed, over limter digital recordings available to ipod users.  vinyl is actually higher fidelity (if cut well), but sounds different (and less hifi) to an ear that is acustomed to digital 'loudness war' victims.  I have good vinyl and bad vinyl.  the bad vinyl sounds worse than a bad mp3, but a good vinyl kills 99% of good mp3's in terms of dynamics, energy and overall niceness.
a few months ago i was talking to some 1 who has been pressing vinyls & dubplates for 30+ yrs he said mp3's are a better quality than vinyl unless mp3 is  lower than 128kbs also at 128kbs its still gona be better than an old crackly vinyl he did explain in depth but i was lost when he went pass bitrate & fq range & went deep into the science of how it all works.....

he said vinyl sounds diffrent due to noise of the vinyl being picked up by the stylus (dust, surface noise, groove width & depth etc etc) which colours the sound you hear...... which makes full sense because if you rub your finger on the stylus it will come through your speakers same as if your blow dust of the stylus you hear it 

IT WILL BE A GOOD SESSION
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:07pm
hearing the sound of the stylus is half the characteristics of playing from vinyl! 

a vinyl will only be as good as the digital material it was produced from, and its all digital now, so you'll never escape digital whatever happens. the days of analogue tape is long gone. 

a vinly cut from 96khz AIFF or even 44.1khz will always be better quality and nicer to listen to than an mp3. you can't deny this. 
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

a vinly cut from 96khz AIFF or even 44.1khz will always be better quality and nicer to listen to than an mp3. you can't deny this. 

ClapStarThumbs Up
flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:34pm

always be better quality and nicer to listen to than an mp3. you can't deny this. 
i can because i not botherd wat the music is played on i just wanna hear a good tune.... ive got loads of old vinly frm (60s to 2000s) the 1s that got playd very regular the quaility gone down some crackd or other damage... some wernt good pressin frm day 1

same thing will happen to your crips 90 wat eva vinyl 
dubplates are even worse they wear quicker

as a vinyl pressing plant said few months ago to my frend  "pressing vinyl is the old dirty way of ......"

IT WILL BE A GOOD SESSION
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by flyer flyer wrote:

i can because i not botherd wat the music is played on i just wanna hear a good tune.... 

haha quote of the century. 

i can actually hear the difference between an mp3 and high quality (some people can't amazingly), so i certainly dont wnat to hear mp3 over big system. 

if your vinyls are crakced scratched to the extent that theyre bad quality, dont play them! 

And yes your right, some vinly pressings are just generally crap.

but a good vinyl pressing from good quality source will beat an mp3 hands down. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:46pm

i can because i not botherd wat the music is played on i just wanna hear a good tune.... 

i rest my case LOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:46pm

haha quote of the century. 

i can actually hear the difference between an mp3 and high quality (some people can't amazingly), so i certainly dont wnat to hear mp3 over big system. 

if your vinyls are crakced scratched to the extent that theyre bad quality, dont play them! 

And yes your right, some vinly pressings are just generally crap.

but a good vinyl pressing from good quality source will beat an mp3 hands down. 

spot on sunshine
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:50pm
can you imagine abashanti playing cds through his system run for the hills before your ears burst into flames lol
he gets that much drive from vinyl that its scary to think of what cds would sound likeEmbarrassed
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
SUFFERER View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUFFERER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 5:55pm
Pretty sure ive seen him play cds.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 6:05pm
there's far too much variation between compression formats to be able to judge them all together. Early 128K MP3's are instantly recongisable due to the "Underwater" sound effect and the way they mash up your hi hats/cymbals and make the low sub go all wobbly and indistinct. Later, better codecs minimised these problems and are nowhere near as obvious. 128K AAC (as used by Itunes by default these days) sounds to me the same as a really good 320k MP3 while occupying 1/3 of the data space. FLAC and WAV (and WavPak) are indistinguishable, to me, from each other and from the original CD playback. 
Meanwhile vinyl discs might have to contend with misadjusted, beer soaked club turntables with bent, blunt, decidedly venerable needles on them, not properly vibration isolated. And before that there are all sorts of subtle things that can happen during record manufacture that can impair the music.
For me, i think it's true that a good pressing of a well-cut vinyl played back on a properly set up 1210 with a good needle on it sounds excellent and represents a gold standard we could all aim for.... However, getting all those things lined up almost never happens. 
Conversely it's quite easy to ensure a WAV or FLAC or WavPak gets from the studio to the speakers without one 1 or 0 being changed at all.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 7:23pm
the scary thing about this thread is the number of people saying 128kbps can be better than a well produced, mastered and cut vinyl with its infinate 'kbs'.  a seasoned vinyl listener ignores the crackle because of the audio benefits a vinyl offers.

now, my point is that id imagine a number of these 'mp3 is better than vinyl' guys are running or building rigs.  would it be rude to suggest that these rigs may be being designed and tuned to the preference of someone unable to notice the difference between material with as much as 10 times difference in the audio information.  its like someone saying they prefer the quality of a 1 megapixel cameraphone over a medium format shot by a professional photographer.  my grandfather couldnt tell the difference because his eyes are shot.  could it be the same situation with the ears of some posters in this topic? 

when i play vinyl i generally tweek the eq to boost the band between 200hz-1khz, sometimes as much as 3db.  sometimes i have to boost the 5-10k area by 2db.  once i have it balanced i know for a fact that a good ortofon concord on a 1210 will eat any 128k mp3 for breakfast.  320k gets harder to tell in terms of quality.  A cd gets even harder and its more a case of whether or not the anologue 'physical' addition a vinyl makes is something you dig or not.

Edited by rich_gale - 24 December 2009 at 7:29pm
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
ukdubwise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukdubwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 7:39pm
Play your ipod and doggy poo and do your thing.
When playing on your own set there is nuttin so intense as playing vinyl, its like you become one with your system.
Compare it with making tunes just by your computer and midi keyboard or use the real deal: hardware synths and all the pretty knobbs equipment.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>