Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flat pack speaker kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lardysounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flat pack speaker kits
    Posted: 26 December 2009 at 3:25pm
Hi there!

Im very new to all this, bought a pair of tms4's a couple of months ago and would like some extra bass! I've looked around at second hand but can't really afford what I want and don't want to buy lemons. I'd love to build my own but again can't afford tools and I'm terrible at woodwork, so can anyone here recommend a company who supply quality flat pack kits?

Any recommendations would be greatly apprecited!

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 3:43pm
http://www.wbaudio.co.uk/sales/index.html do flat pack punishers, should go well under TMS4s.  Or PM Charles V on here.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 3:52pm
i build cabs...
im also local Embarrassed
Lardysounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lardysounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 6:45pm
Brilliant! they look like a good company not sure I want to go wth 12"ers though? anyone got any good suggestions for plans I can give them? I've got an mc1250 thats lying dormant to to put to use and was thinking of some 18"s as the tms4's are 18"s?
userscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote userscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 2:01pm
Have you tried presenting some plans to a local timber merchants / joinery shop? I found a local one in Reddish, Stockport last week which will cut and assemble Punishers from plan at a very reasonable rate.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by userscott userscott wrote:

Have you tried presenting some plans to a local timber merchants / joinery shop? I found a local one in Reddish, Stockport last week which will cut and assemble Punishers from plan at a very reasonable rate.

I'd get a test cab made first, building kitchens and furniture is not the same thing as building speakers. I've seen some bloody shoddy speaker cabinets made by professional joiners before, loads of gaps due to the tolerances for furniture being much larger than those you'd want on speakers, no rebated edges for access panels to sit on, etc.
userscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote userscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 2:09pm
I agreed with them on building one the first week in January, with a sneaky plan of building 6 depending on the outcome. I fully appreciate what your saying but I have high hopes for this particular firm, they had just done us some truly intricate work to the tune of a few grand and the quality was superb.. So just gonna wait and see what a prototype brings I guess.

Edited by userscott - 27 December 2009 at 2:10pm
Sibulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sibulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Lardysounds Lardysounds wrote:

Brilliant! they look like a good company not sure I want to go wth 12"ers though? anyone got any good suggestions for plans I can give them? I've got an mc1250 thats lying dormant to to put to use and was thinking of some 18"s as the tms4's are 18"s?
Why not 12s? Don't be fooled into thinking because they are 12 inch cones they cant do sub - also its got all to do with what you have in the TMS. They will be covering different freqs - hopefully!

don't forget LABsubs use 12 inch drivers.

http://soundcloud.com/judas-beast
Lardysounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lardysounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2010 at 2:34pm
Yeah but I've never heard any LAB subs so can't comment, has any one got any near Guildford I could listen to? How do they compare to punishers? Ive heard plenty of punnishers, also thinking on the lines of usb's? I know they sound great! 
 Post Reply Post Reply