Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

delay settings scoops and reflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

1.4Confused more like 1.9

sorry my mistake - corrected it. 

Embarrassed

Edited by Saul - 08 January 2010 at 2:39pm
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by phildat phildat wrote:

er how do i work out how much delay they need (the low mids and and mids) to match them to the beymas? Is there a formula i need to get my head around?

just measure the length of the top horn to get a rough idea, and then tweak. a good ear will hear when they align. 

inverting polarity makes sure the driver moves in horn direction first. 

BUT if you dont delay everything to length of scoop then dont invert polarity! 
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:51pm
sorry Saul...so lets say the distance from the Comp Driver to the exit of the horn is....8 inches....whats the formula i need to know where to start tweaking? not sure what i would do with that distance in order to get to my " rough idea ".
Its just a ride.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 2:57pm

sorry Saul...so lets say the distance from the Comp Driver to the exit of the horn is....8 inches....whats the formula i need to know where to start tweaking? not sure what i would do with that distance in order to get to my " rough idea ".

if the horn length is around 8inches - (200mm), then delay all the reflex drivers by 200mm. so your mid and low mid which are all front loaded should be delayed by the 200mm. everything above your scoops is now roughly time aligned. 

with regard to the rhinos:

treat them like a horn, and delay everything above the scoops by 1.9m.

OR 

treat them as a reflex box and delay the scoops by 200mm. 

try both and see which you prefer. 

p.s. make sure all the front edges of the cabs are also in line!

Edited by Saul - 08 January 2010 at 3:02pm
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 3:01pm
ok. will try that soon..
many thanks for your advice again mate.
Its just a ride.
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 4:01pm
ok ...i can see where i am getting unstuck now....im using a berry x pro crossover that appears to only have a delay setting for the low output and thats measured in m seconds...Confused any advice for how to set it up using this???

I can see the reasoning for inverting the phase on the rhinos... 
Its just a ride.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 4:55pm

ok ...i can see where i am getting unstuck now....im using a berry x pro crossover that appears to only have a delay setting for the low output and thats measured in m seconds...Confused any advice for how to set it up using this???

I can see the reasoning for inverting the phase on the rhinos... 

speed = distance/time

use the above equation to convert from milliseconds to a distance. 

only delay on the low ???????
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 6:55pm
www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX3400.aspxs init?

Yeah nuts init?? Theres a link to the crossover i have. now im mixing scoops with reflex i see how illogical it is having a delay for the lows only??? Not planning on going 4 way with this crossover cos i have a graphic that has a sub out so was gonna use that with an xlr signal splitter going into a matrix xp5000 for the rhinos. so was gonna run the x over 3 way stereo.

by the way....can someone explain the purpose of summing the lows? i f they were summedf in 3 way stereo mode would i just use one of the low outputs? not that it matters cos i not planning on doing that just curious. 

also...checked out your rig on FB Saul...it looks mint..very impressed by the 8 core cable set up...might have to follow suit as soon as i learn a bit more of the basics!!!!       

Its just a ride.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 7:01pm

www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX3400.aspxs init?

Yeah nuts init?? Theres a link to the crossover i have. now im mixing scoops with reflex i see how illogical it is having a delay for the lows only??? Not planning on going 4 way with this crossover cos i have a graphic that has a sub out so was gonna use that with an xlr signal splitter going into a matrix xp5000 for the rhinos. so was gonna run the x over 3 way stereo.

by the way....can someone explain the purpose of summing the lows? i f they were summedf in 3 way stereo mode would i just use one of the low outputs? not that it matters cos i not planning on doing that just curious. 

also...checked out your rig on FB Saul...it looks mint..very impressed by the 8 core cable set up...might have to follow suit as soon as i learn a bit more of the basics!!!!       

cheers

i'd say that's an annoying crossover!!!!!  why on earth would it not have delays on each channel - very odd. 

btw you wont need a signal splitter cable - just plug the sub output into channel A and make sure the mono switch is turned on, and then the same signal will come out of both sides. Thumbs Up
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 7:05pm
Right...

Guess i just need to ignore the delay factor for now...and the final word on running the subs inverse phase? 
Its just a ride.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 7:07pm
i'd leave them for now until you get a LMS of some sort. 

Ollie_N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 8:51pm
tried inverting them scoops and can hear no difference?! (delayed also) also surely a speaker is designed so that it can extend forwards and not backwards into the magnet?? can anyone shine some light on this please
youtube: homegrownsoundz - DJ mixes, bassgardenuk - Originals,
thelayoutuk - RnB/Acoustic Soul Band
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>