Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Actually Building a PC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actually Building a PC
    Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:19pm
thought I'd start a new topic...

basically I've got all my components either arrived or on their way and now it's pretty much the case of plugging it all together (desktop)

I guess I need to be careful of static when touching anything, but all I can think of is, be naked (avoiding static from jumpers etc) or wire myself to the cold tap in the bathroom.

Other than that, just thought I'd ask if anyone has any tips before I start so I don't blow anything up!? I have to dismantle what's inside the old computer I'm ransacking for the tower/dvd drive first so I'll get an idea of where things should go hopefully. but any advise you have before I start would be great!

order of plugging things in???

cheeeers :)
joshd963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshd963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:29pm
you can get anti static wristbands and stuff which i would advise.

putting it together:

get your case, screw in motherboard, attach power supply, attach processor&fan, attach RAM... and then take it from there... thats how i do it.
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:37pm
oh cheers man,
if you think the wristband is worth it I'll pop into maplin and get one, they have em for £6 which I guess is worth it for protecting the kit.

just blew sooooo much money on this dubmachine.

actually when you say fan. is that the one for the processor? (is there such a thing) I'm sure mine said it comes with one, but I'm not sure cos that hasn't arrived yet and I haven't checked inside the old desktop to see if there's one going spare.
joshd963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshd963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:46pm
yes i would say its definitely worth it as its easy to fry equipment before you put it in.. i have before :(

yep the processor fan... definitely should come with a stock fan.

so.. what are you getting? :)

snazzy or modest?
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:57pm
get the static wristband .. Ive never used them when building PCs, and i had my fingers all over everything. Then again I was probably lucky!

One tip: Make sure that the PSU is switched to 240v. Oh and never turn anything on if its meant to have a fan / heatsink and doesnt..

Edited by subbass - 12 January 2010 at 8:58pm
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:05pm
ok wicked. I'll pick one up.

thanks very much for your advise, I'll let you know how it works. will probs go for the build this weekend when I've got some good free time to not rush it.

I'm getting an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad core bad buoy with a gigabyte something motherboard with almost every connection possible.

I'M VERY EXCITED! :)
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by bassmish bassmish wrote:

ok wicked. I'll pick one up.

thanks very much for your advise, I'll let you know how it works. will probs go for the build this weekend when I've got some good free time to not rush it.

I'm getting an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad core bad buoy with a gigabyte something motherboard with almost every connection possible.

I'M VERY EXCITED! :)

I have that processor.....it's pretty decent. Can be overclocked to 4ghz aswell if you have the right motherboard. Although this will require better cooling.
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:17pm
hmmm. dunno if I've be doing any of this overclocking business yet.
nice to know someone else is using it too tho. what motherboard are you using?

I've got slight worries about the old DVD/CD drives not fitting if it's the wrong connections. but I guess they aren't expensive, so can always get one if they don't work.

unfortunately I ran out of money before I could buy a fatty screen so for now I'm left with a really small old one. worse things have happened tho! it's all good :)
Spesh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:32pm

My motherboard is an MSI NF980-G65. Did you go for an AM3 board is does it use an AM2 socket?

joshd963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshd963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:46pm
snazzy stuff =)

mish - the cd/dvd should fit fine - they all use some pretty standard connections :)
joshd963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshd963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:47pm
OH PS if you dont have enough like connections to go to all your components from your power supply, ive got a few splitters you can have... 

if this doesnt make sense right now it should do once you start connecting it all together :)
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 10:42pm
it's that:

GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 DDR3 MATX

says it supports AM3 processors, not really sure what that means tbh, but I know it works with the one I bought.

not really sure why I went for thew micro one in the end, it just suited all my needs and was fairly cheap so I decided to go for it. and it had pretty good reviews.

josh that's very kind regarding the splitter thing. I'll see how things go. Also good use of 'mish'! I like dat!! :)

thanks for the advice.... wish me luck!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>