Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wat will my sound quality like

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wat will my sound quality like
    Posted: 14 January 2006 at 7:44pm
What will a 186 horn cab sound like with a peavey 1808 subwoofer   i need to know because i want and need good sounding bins

THANKSS Alot
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2006 at 10:51am

It will sound like sh*t in the 186 horn. And probably break too.

The Peavey 1808 is meant for reflex enclosures only. The high QTS of 0.52 indicates this.

BL is only 18 Tm, and xmax is a mere 5mm.

If you planning on making the 186 horn, DON'T get that driver. If you already got it put it in a reflex cab or sell it.

Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2006 at 11:17am
the part about the x-max could be a little interesting

I agree that the peavey seems to be a bad driver for the horn

back to my ideea
By overdriving one speaker in terms of X-max, you can get in the non linear cone movement zone which results in distortion

horn cabinets, have especially low distortion figures, but when distorting the driver you  have the impression of more spl than really is there (this is a psihoacoustical effect)

the distortion caused by the driver exceeding x-max, is especially interesting, as it acts a little as a compressor.

this shold be investigated further

this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve using P-audio SD12 in the punishers I'm about to build

the driver has 5mm X-max, but that will be exceeded at rms power imput, thus creating distortion, thus creating the "loud effect"
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2006 at 6:14pm

Although Eminence Omega Pro 18 is not an amazing driver for the 186 horn, but it certainlly works fine in the 186 horn. Stik_Sounds used to use them in 186 horns before he got PD186's;that I pointed out for him on loot online/loot paper.

Also since Eminence is made in USA it probably will be a cheaper option for you unclejam. Least it works fine in the 186, not the best sounding driver for that horn though, but still gives a decent sound.

Edited by ToXiC - 22 January 2006 at 6:14pm
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 12:28am

Originally posted by Nexus_3 Nexus_3 wrote:

By overdriving one speaker in terms of X-max, you can get in the non linear cone movement zone which results in distortion

yes! the sound that most reggae sounds like, we call it the letter box effect

"gwaaaaaaak gwaaaaak"

Edited by mykey - 23 January 2006 at 1:20am
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2006 at 8:52am

Unclejam,

That's not the driver you want to use.

Check the specs on the "Low Rider".  It's closer to the PD186 and sells pretty reasonable here in the states.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&P artnumber=294-301

I don't think it's as good as the PD drivers, but much more cost effective than importing.  (Ok,, I'm cheap!)

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply