Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cubo 15
    Posted: 07 February 2010 at 10:57am
What do you think about this? 
http://www.freespeakerplans.com/cubo-15q.html

Is better than the MTH-30(http://www.freespeakerplans.com/mth-30.html)?
I'm very interested to build one of these...

Thanks Giacomo
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:52am
I think you will find that the TH design will be smoother, and have more low frequency output.

The TH design is easier to build as there are no angles that have to be cut (the woofer mounting board angle may be cut down with a file if need be, after it is assembled).
djk
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 1:56am
A single 18" (EV design):

vs a single 12:

Edited by _djk_ - 08 February 2010 at 1:57am
djk
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:03am
more than 6 meters of excursion at 50 hz?
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:09am
Would make fitting a grille a bit difficult ... Big smile
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 12:10pm
Quote I think you will find that the TH design will be smoother, and have more low frequency output
Smoother yes, more low frequency output, I highly doubt that.

Quote The TH design is easier to build as there are no angles that have to be cut (the woofer mounting board angle may be cut down with a file if need be, after it is assembled)
That still leaves us with the front plate on which the baffle is mounted. In all both cabinets require an equal amount of angled cuts, which are equal in possibilty to avoid.

These are both designs according to Hornresp (both excursion limited): http://www.hardware-test.de/hornresp/30%20vs%2015.PNG
By the way: You're comparing an 18" EV (T18 perhaps?), quite different from the Cubo15 as shown, with a 12" tapped horn with a completly different frequency response then the MTH-30, because?!

I've simulated both enclosures at work yesterday with different drivers and came to the following conclusion:

- The MTH-30 is very well designed cabinet/driver combo, that will give the most output vs volume/weight. It has, besides the recommended 12SB30 (excellent choice btw), very little drivers to work with. It has a total volume of 132 liters.

- The Cubo15 has similar sensitvity as the MTH-30 according to Hornresp. With the 3015LF it will have about 3-3,5 dB more output (again excursion based). Apart from that it will work with a large variety of drivers. It has a total volume of 238 liters.

So, if your going for the MTH-30 use the recommended driver. At 264 liter for a double (two drivers) it will outperform the Cubo15 no matter what driver it uses. If you were to use a single vs. a single, my bet would be to use the Cubo15 with the 3015LF.

Best regards Johan

FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:00pm
http://worldconspiracy.org/speakers/Beyma-TH

Works with quite a few drivers.
I used the B&C 12PS100.   Also this layout can be reduce another 10 Lt without hurting output really. So you can have a cabinet that measures 15x24x22.5 OR less
that outputs 126 DB from 50-200 Hz. With 40-44Hz cut off.

For size the only things I have come across to match
a TH is a Hybrid ported FLH's.

GekoMusic94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 1:08pm
Ok, ThanksSmile!!!
Now i have another question:
For my tops ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzyNi2a3f8 ) and for Drum N Bass music is better the Cubo 15 or the LMB-115 (http://www.jobst-audio.de/index2.html)?
Thanks...

P.S.: Sorry for the continous question but i'm very undecided Dead...
COZY PILLOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 7:23pm

Is the Cubo 15 a good cab or not? would it be a good stand alone cab for small gigs for live music? would it give a good freq response and reasonable SPL compared to a single HD15?

Cheers,

COZY
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 10:34am
Originally posted by GekoMusic94 GekoMusic94 wrote:

For my tops ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzyNi2a3f8 ) and for Drum N Bass music is better the Cubo 15 or the LMB-115 (http://www.jobst-audio.de/index2.html)?
Thanks...
The LMB-115 is a regular basreflex enclosure. As your tops are relatively small you might cross them higher up. In the case that you cross the tops above ~100 Hz the LMB-115 will suite you better. It can be crossed much higher and thus produce more "kick".

Cubo 15 will have higher sensitivity, produce a higher maximum output whilst producing the same low frequency response but imho these kind of cabinets are best crossed low (80 Hz  -100 Hz).

Originally posted by COZY PILLOW COZY PILLOW wrote:

Is the Cubo 15 a good cab or not? would it be a good stand alone cab for small gigs for live music? would it give a good freq response and reasonable SPL compared to a single HD15?

I have (almost) no experience with live music. For dance-music these type of cabinets can be used stand alone. I think the HD15 will be a relatively good match as the cabinets do not produce a "true" kick, whereas a HD15 doesn't produce any "real" bass. Sensitivity-figures are roughly equal at the crossover point.

Best regards Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 19 February 2010 at 10:36am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 5:07pm

Thanks for that I was looking for a sub that would cross around those frequencies anyway as I will be using full range tops anyway for small gigs. I beleive that a single HD15 would not go that low? and is not that suitable for stand alone?

Could you please post the pics of the 15mm plans too. I tried to PM you the other day for these?

Thanks, Wink

COZY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COZY PILLOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 1:29pm

Hi Johan, Have you had a chance to sim the PD186 in the Cubo 18 or would you still recommend the Delta pro 18a. Wink

Regards, C.P.
COZY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>