Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cubo 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 11:00am
okay re opening the debate.

Cubo 15 against the matinsson Tapped 15...
Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 4:38pm
As previously covered a driver in Cubo 15 can be mounted with the driver in the horn or in the chamber. The Martinsson THAM 15 knows but one configuration.

With the magnet in the horn; Cubo 15 will be louder between 45 - 65 Hz up to 2,5 dB, also more output above 90-100 Hz, about equal inbetween. The THAM 15 has more output below 40 - 45 Hz and seems suitable for a 30 Hz lowcut (for Cubo 15, 40 Hz is advised).
With the magnet in the chamber: Cubo 15 will be up to 4,5 dB louder between 45 - 65 Hz and overall 1,5 dB louder. The THAM 15 has more output below 45 -50 Hz. Up to 6 dB @ 30 Hz. For equal power input the THAM 15 will have >20% excursion above 45 Hz.

The Martinsson THAM 15 is a nice design and unlike Cubo 15 a true tapped horn. Looking at it from the perpective that the Cubo designs are a hybrid of reflex and tapped horn, one would suspect Cubo to work best with drivers ranging from typical reflex driver towards medium Qts/medium Vas horn drivers. The Martinsson is more suited for use with low Vas (<125 Liter), low Qts (0.24)drivers such as the 15TBX100.

Best regards
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

With the magnet in the horn; Cubo 15 will be louder between 45 - 65 Hz up to 2,5 dB, also more output above 90-100 Hz, about equal inbetween. The THAM 15 has more output below 40 - 45 Hz and seems suitable for a 30 Hz lowcut (for Cubo 15, 40 Hz is advised).
With the magnet in the chamber: Cubo 15 will be up to 4,5 dB louder between 45 - 65 Hz and overall 1,5 dB louder. The THAM 15 has more output below 45 -50 Hz. Up to 6 dB @ 30 Hz. For equal power input the THAM 15 will have >20% excursion above 45 Hz.

Seeing that info, is it worth building one of each (for each side, in other words four cabs in all)?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 7:03am
Please note that the differance in size between them, the external dimensions shows that cubo15's 62x62x62 equals 238 liters and the tham15's 50x55x68 is 187 liters.

In comparison a rather standard 215 br should amount to roughly 250 liters, and looking at the preformance/size ratio there should not be a totaly given outcome if compared with eather of the designproposals above.

If size is not an issue, but the driver cost is, then it seems that the cubo15 would take the lead, seeing as the 15tbx100 driver is rather costly, it should be said however that there has been sucessfull results using the tham15 with other less costly drivers from 18-sound and BMS although i have not taken part of these results myself.

The cubo15 sure is a nifty piece of work, I have never heard them myself but the responses from diy'ers out there are very positive, and rightfully so it seems when looking at the specs if this very intresting and obviously sucessful design.

Edited by martinsson - 25 November 2010 at 8:38am
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 11:36am
Hi. I have 4 beyma 15g450n. will it work well in the martinsson cab? the design looks like a very good cab.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 11:24pm

Quote Seeing that info, is it worth building one of each (for each side, in other words four cabs in all)?
personally I would build either 4 times the THAM 15 or 4 times the Cubo 15.

Four equal cabinets look/stack nicer and one set of crossover/processor setting can be used.

Quote If size is not an issue, but the driver cost is, then it seems that the cubo15 would take the lead, seeing as the 15tbx100 driver is rather costly, it should be said however that there has been sucessfull results using the tham15 with other less costly drivers from 18-sound and BMS although i have not taken part of these results myself
I agree,

Due to the lower tuning and smaller cabinet volume of the THAM 15, excursion needs are greater for a given amount of power and/or SPL (except below 40-45 Hz).

The 15g450n will work in the THAM 15. However the Xmax is on the small size.

Best regards

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 25 November 2010 at 11:25pm
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 8:41am
Hi mobiele. would I rather use the beyma 15g450n in the cubo then? would it sound better in there.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 2:06am
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Quote Seeing that info, is it worth building one of each (for each side, in other words four cabs in all)?
personally I would build either 4 times the THAM 15 or 4 times the Cubo 15.

Four equal cabinets look/stack nicer and one set of crossover/processor setting can be used.

Sorry, should've made it clearer! I meant one Cubo15 with the magnet on show and one Cubo15 with the cone on show either side. So four Cubo15 cabs.
I did look at the Tham15 but that driver is tooooooo expensive for "just trying it to see how it sounds".
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 5:11pm
Quote Hi mobiele. would I rather use the beyma 15g450n in the cubo then? would it sound better in there
Wether it sounds better or not is largely a subjective matter.

The THAM 15 is designed with 30-35 Hz and up in a relatively small package in mind. To overcome this small package, one prefers a driver with a large excursion capability. Cubo 15 is designed with 40 Hz and up in mind, as frequency rises less excursion is needed, the larger cabinet volume further decreases excursion needs.
If you're interested in the 30-35 Hz to 40-45 Hz range then the THAM 15 is an excellent choice over Cubo 15. If you're interested in more output from 40-45 Hz and up then Cubo 15 is the logical choice.

The 15g450n is a good driver with a medium Xmax. It will peform well in both designs. However according to simulation in the THAM 15 it will be excursion limited to 300 W, in Cubo 15 to 400 W. In practical terms that would suggest that it will take 450 W in the THAM 15 and 600 W in Cubo 15 (average music signal).

Quote I meant one Cubo15 with the magnet on show and one Cubo15 with the cone on show either side
That's an interesting option. As phase and excursion will be similar I expect few to no problems with that setup.

Regards

Mrd999 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrd999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 8:50pm
Evening all,I currently have 2 Beyma G450n loaded Cubo 15's and love them,I am picking up another 2 this weekend and will be loading them with another 2 Beyma's.
Will a stack of 4 drop a bit lower ?
Have 4 PD loaded hd15's too,the hd's were a bit over powering,in honesty,but hoping with 2 more Cubo in the stack it should sound pretty balanced,have a set of Mega cabs and then a nice pair of  JBL loaded,horns.
What amp would folks recommend driving 4 Cubos,was thinking something putting out 6k,3k at 4r a side

Edited by Mrd999 - 17 August 2015 at 8:51pm
What goes around, comes around
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 6:57am
Simulated excursion has it's validity, and I have gotten numerous mails concerning the simulated xmax limitations of THAM designs, this is a concern they share with many other tapped horn designs, this appears however to be more of a theoretical concern then a practical one since I have yet to hear from a user that has experienced any limitations in SPL capacity due to design related excursion problems.
Has anyone made any real world measurements or comparisons in this regard ? 

Volumetric efficiency (dB/m3) has it's cost, usually this cost is driver related, but I'm still a bit confused as to how much this is noticeable in real world usage, and it would be very interesting to se measurements on subject.

Remember the first few words here "simulated excursion has it's validity" and far be it for me to state anything different, I'm simply just curious as to how much of a role this plays in real world usage. 
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 7:50am
I recently finished one Cubo 15 extended, just to see how these performs. 
Driver: RCF L15P540

Ok, sound quality is pretty much ok. Not the best but not that bad either.  Plays low enought for most music. Good "throw". 
Low pass filtering must be accurately adjusted, not too high..just barely enough to give some "kick", around 100Hz is good. Too high makes it sound honky. 

However, even single cubo15 gives very good SPL!  Clean and tight / punchy.  Good enclosure for techno / psytrance etc. 

L15P540 really likes tight or smallish chambers (Vas 100litres).  Results was MUCH better having magnet in chamber, not in the horn mouth.  Maybe I should add some more extension to see how it performs then (extra extended version). 

Being such a simple, easy to build from single sheet of ply, using proper driver (and crossover / eq settings!) this thing really is nice design and gives lots of fun.  I'm going to build 3 more (4 total), it will be insanely loud for just 4 x 15" inches.  And L15P540 is just medicore driver..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234