Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

please help meeeeeeeee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
soundgodwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: please help meeeeeeeee
    Posted: 22 March 2006 at 8:15am

Robotnation...pm me. We need to talk! This is what I did. I built the G sub. I used some madison speakers (until I can save the money to get some better woofers). This sounds awesome, it is big and not a one man lifting job. But it is a great sounding cabinet. I put 3" castors on the back and some angled handles on back/top. I can now tilt it back and roll it anywhere. It makes a great sub for three way sound. And that is what I was looking for.

Edited by soundgodwannabe - 22 March 2006 at 8:26am
Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 8:54am

By virtue of the fact that there is no stereo perhaps?

Having all subs on one channel and all tops on another channel means that it could only possibly be a mono output.  To be stereo requires 2 separate channels to play the left and right signal.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Insomnia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insomnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 1:26am
Originally posted by ToXiC ToXiC wrote:

Well if you only got 1 amp. Until you afford another, do this.Run it mono and run the bass of 1 channel and mid/highs off the other.

hows that runing it in mono Confused

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 8:51pm

Well if you only got 1 amp. Until you afford another, do this.Run it mono and run the bass of 1 channel and mid/highs off the other.

Behringer EP2500 gives 2x 750w rms into 4 ohms. Mid/highs would get driven fine like that and bass would be under powered though if you just use one 8 ohm driver. But you could use 1x 4 ohm version of the bass driver and run it like that until you get another amp.

Seriouslly though Behringer EP2500 is dirt cheap , unless you buying them from some rip off supplier,charging god knows what.Otherwise you can easily afford another one.

I'll in the meantime,I'll have a look at some usa pro audio sites to help you find the Behringer EP2500 the cheapest.

Edited by ToXiC - 20 January 2006 at 8:52pm
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2006 at 4:04am

The X1 is a simpler build than the C sub by virtue of it's shelf ports.

I suspect it may be the cheaper driver which has led you down this path.....      

robotnation View Drop Down

Member Banned!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 10:01pm
ok the x1 is too complicated for me, i am building a c-sub and getting another ep2500 amp to power my mids and highs.  THe issue, however, is time and cost.  I really can't afford more than one speaker and amp right now, and this one is the only one that fits my needs ANd construction abilities as well.  I suppose i will relocate this to another area of forum now that its no longer hd15s im building.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 6:40pm

Whilst Toxic's recomended 2 good driver for the X1, he's failed to also mention the P-Audio SD-18, which is the driver it was originally designed for, and may prove to be a cheaper option than the PD and more available than the Void.

I can tell from experience that in a club of about 100 people, 4 HD15's loaded with PD154's are just about enough.  I suspect that 2 with Eminence drivers are really not going to do the business.

Good to see that you've discovered that not running subs through tops gives a lot more headroom to play with. I run 2 X15's over 6 HD15's and 2 2x18 bandpass boxes and they keep up ok because they don't have to play anything below 180hz.  My setup was originally just the X15's and one of the subs and it's a great little combo for small nights and will give you something to build on e.g. another X1, then some HD15's if that takes your fancy or some better mid/tops.  Always think about where you might want to go next and if your choice of boxes is scalable.  you don't want to be having a complete rebuild every time you decide add more and you also want to keep the number of different types of boxes to a minimum

Quote I guess xmax and all those fancy numbers really dont matter all the time, the only important number is cost

In the X1 you need a well suited driver as the 6th order bandpass doesn't give much loading to the driver.  this means you can hit xmech very easily with the wrong driver but you won't hear it so well if you do because the box tends to hold the banging noises!

Edited by norty303 - 19 January 2006 at 6:42pm
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 5:50pm

Yes you will get good deep thumping bass out of the X1 as long as you use the Void V18-1000 or PD1850 in it.PD186 might work too.And others with very simular TS parameters to the V18-1000 should also work fine.

But it has to be powered properly too.Don't under power it. Otherwise it will sound sh*t. And at worst,the amp would clip = driver would get burnt.

So you should bridge your Behringer EP2500 amp for the X1 to give it 1500w rms in 8 ohms. And get either a Behringer EP1500 or EP2500 and run that in stereo for the tops.

Also get some better tops cos using old cheapy hifi stereo parts is bound to sound sh*te and break easy. A pair of X10 or even a pair of these. http://www.fane-acoustics.com/public_html/media/pdf_media/Ca binets10inchTrap.pdf

As long as you use the recommended drivers or a driver with simular Thiele Small parameters; then they will sound decent.

So have the mid/tops on tripod stands and the X1 in the middle of them on the floor, that would give a great compact setup. As long as the drivers are suitable for the plans and they are powered properly.Then you should have no probs.

Good luck!!!

Member Banned!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 4:47pm

Norty 303, how right you are.  I also did another test today and learned something else

my old speakers sound amazing on my new amp (ep 2500.)  i couldnt hear myself talking down teh hall from hihat treble and there was decent kick for about 15 feet.  I will invest in the best speakers i can find, but also, i will only get the best amps from now on.  this jsut now showed me, however, that i need to start reinforcing my deep down lows first.  I am going to build one X1 cabinet.  I guess xmax and all those fancy numbers really dont matter all the time, the only important number is cost

I am pretty sure funneling everything over 70 hz to my old speakers and all below to an x1 would put less strain on my mids and get even more volume both ways.  Does anyone know if i would get good kick out of an X1?

PS thanks everyone for helping me out so much

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 10:54am

Sorry, we must have been typing at the same time

I've never worked with the HD15's, but I would think you need at least two per side (maybe a HD215?) and you should still set-up with them on the floor and against a wall (two reflective barriers).  Has anyone tried this?

Jim

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 10:47am

The graph you're showing lists "Madison executioner 21".  No offense to anyone, but I would doubt you'll ever get a great "kick" out of these speakers.  Even the 18" specs look less than good.

There are options out there depending on your budget and what compromises you're willing to live with.  Norty303's advise is good if you can swing the cash.

Jim

Member Banned!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotnation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2006 at 10:39am

yea i thought these speakers weresorta bad.  Even worse is that they are each powered by Madison executioner X21s, which have huge xmax (that means i suck even more.)  I am going to sell the drivers inside and use the housings i have to cut up for whatever i build next (mdf.)  I am going to buy two of the eminence sf 15 pros this weekend (unless someone suggests a design with 18s before then.)  I just really need help finding a housing that will give me a somewhat flat response In the regions of sound where the kick of the bassdrum lies.  I would really like to have some deep down lows but i am willing to sacrifice that because i can only build 2 housings with 1 speaker each by march (or one housing with two speakers.)  Are you sure i cant use the hd 15?  I saw pictures of people using them alone for djing on the reader projects page.  Its only a room of 100 or so, and these kids haven't heard a sound system larger than the ones on the DDR machines at my local arcade, so dont worry about them being spoiled beforehand.  i need to know what to buy BY saturday, however, because thats teh latest i have to buy things to get them done in time.

BTW i have one behringer europower amplifier that gets 2400 watts when bridged at 4 ohms, and i have a 3 way stereo crossover by behringer, the cx3400.  Do i need to use a behringer amp on my highs too to prevent phase messing up?  If any of you have experience with teh HD15 (dumb question to ask on the hd15 forum) then could you tell me how well it kicks with an eminence driver in it?

Edited by robotnation - 19 January 2006 at 10:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>