Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cones vs Compression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cones vs Compression
    Posted: 23 February 2010 at 5:39pm
Over on the general forum a famous speaker has said he doesn't like line arrays, one of his reasons being that compression drivers tend to be used at too low a crossover point. He feels that they sound like a bit of metal rattling around.

Surely the impulse response of a comp is better than a cone, due to the lower mass? Maybe that is fatigueing to some sets of ears?

What do you guys think, which do you prefer.

Some say that the Tannoy VQ60, with its crossover of 5-600Hz sound amazing. What about L-acoustics ARCS, with its 900Hz corssover point?

Discuss....
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 5:40pm
I meant to say "famous speaker designer". Smile
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 6:10pm
i think the quality of the sound is a combination of the low crossover and the slot horns used to to get a high horizontal dispersion rather than the quality of the compression driver.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 7:36pm
Well this is my belief also, I've never met a 2" driver/horn combination that I really liked, not as much as an equivalent paper cone/ 1" combination. The key as SKS01 says may be in the combination, I know that large smooth waveguides with circular throat sound to me, on the whole, nicer than rectangular CD horns with slot throat. But the one thing is relatively new and tends to get used with the best current technology can deliver in terms of a comp, while the latter has been around longer, from back when compression drivers maybe weren't as good either.
In the past I have been able to get a small improvement on the sound of an old Fane 2" + slot throat CD horn by raising its crossover point from 1k6 (12db passive) to 3k (24db LR active), with a consequent reduction in beamwidth of the box as a whole (narrowing dispersion from the upper end of the 12"). It was a temporary solution for a narrow venue so didn't cause issues. I was sweeping tones thru it before the gig and there was just so much distortion it was unbelievable. Very easily visible on an FFT trace. Most of it was happening around 2k though so by rewiring and biamping the cab, I was able to alleviate the harsh sound to some extent. I couldn't face inflicting it on the audience in its original state!
All my current design efforts are using small, sensitive paper cones and small comp drivers on nice smooth horns/waveguides for the HF. It would take something very special to change my mind!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
PauliePaul View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PauliePaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 8:05pm
My coat is already on and i'm walking to the door as post this....... but....

I used to use a 2x12"+1x2"+2xslots mid/hi box split as follows;
2x12" - 120Hz to 600Hz
2" - 600Hz to 6kHz
Slots - 6kHz upwards...

The 2" comps were JBL 2445J and all the components were mounted on Limmer fibre glass horns... the cabs sounded amazing!! Not harsh at all.

Big smile
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by PauliePaul PauliePaul wrote:

My coat is already on and i'm walking to the door as post this....... but....

I used to use a 2x12"+1x2"+2xslots mid/hi box split as follows;
2x12" - 120Hz to 600Hz
2" - 600Hz to 6kHz
Slots - 6kHz upwards...

The 2" comps were JBL 2445J and all the components were mounted on Limmer fibre glass horns... the cabs sounded amazing!! Not harsh at all.

Big smile

+1
I think you've hit the nail on the head....
Tradditional 2" comps tend to rip your head off at high levels, that's why I think we've seen the trend towards smaller diameters, such as 1.4" and now 1.5", which is a compromise between a 1" and a 2", they have the power handling ability more towards a 2", but have a smoother quality.

I recently got some BMS coaxials from Tony Wilkes and really like the sound of them, although I like the sound of a paper cone too. Some people say the paper cones sound nicer in the vocal range.
 It would be interesting to hear from some speaker desingers who have made measurements of say impulse response and distortion to find the reason for the different sound quality.

tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 8:53pm
I will get shot down for this but

There seem to be a few speaker manufacturers that will not do linearray because it means doing a lot of R&D and actually working hard on it.
The seem to be stuck on perpetuating designs that made them money 20 years ago.
Why don't they stop complaining about the new technologies and put some work into it themselves, do some pioneering that they were famous for 20 years ago

Just like

There seems to be a few amp manufacturers that will not do Class D because is means doing a lot of R&D and actually working hard on it.
Why don't they stop complaining about the new technologies and put some work into it themselves, do some pioneering that they were famous for 20 years ago

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 9:14pm
Some people shoot down line array, but you have to concede that Dr Heil revolutionised pro audio, with his research into line array/ coupling etc. Look how many companies got on the bandwagon after VDOSC came out.
I think its not only how a system sounds, but how it arrays, the coverage nearfield and farield that has become important factor as well as the sound, these days.
Some of the more tradditional boxes sound really nice on axis, but move slightly to the side and you find its not that nice any more, they start combing horrendously. Maybe they were designed in an era when only the ears were the measuring tool?  Nowadays we have better mathematical and comuter modelling and I feel this extra knowledge really stands out.
Maybe some people bad mouth line array just because its out of reach financially?
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by VentureSound VentureSound wrote:

Maybe some people bad mouth line array just because its out of reach financially?
Yup!
Same with lightweight amps.

Couple of boxes a side.. great for point source. Works really well.
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 2:42am
Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

There seems to be a few amp manufacturers that will not do Class D because is means doing a lot of R&D and actually working hard on it.

There is another school of thought ... that says the technology isn't mature yet .. no point jumping in for a bit ... also you never know .. they might even be quietly playing with the technology on the side ... just when you think they are ignoring it .. whap .. out they pop with a 4 x 6K in a 3U box ... Wink

To be fair, I think Class D is now coming of age, those new Peavey amps with their 400Khz + switching give a hint of what is possible.  Give it another 3 or 4 of years and I think you'll find a LOT more Class D amps about ... with efficiencies and build methodology that makes the current crop look a little outdated., but .. thats progress for you ... got to keep moving forward.

at the moment, I think Class G/H and D are about level pegging ... D might have the edge in sheer grunt, G/H is still holding its own in terms of audio quality.  I can't see people getting alot more grunt easily out of G/H output stages ... as Class D get switching a bit quicker, you'll find the amp makers move over to it in their masses.

I was talking to one Class D designer the other day who is currently experimenting with a "hybrid" amp ... essentially a brutish Class D for the grunt and a low power (200w)  "error corrector" that dumps current into the output after the filter to try and linearise it all ... bit like a mega version of the old Quad 405 ... be interesting to hear that when/if he gets it going.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 3:32am
I prefer a CRACK from a cone rather than a CRACK from a comp
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 4:03am
I find the biggest issue with comps is that they always seem to be bloody overdriven to the brink.

I've recently just built a pair of new mid tops, well technically more tops than anything that use a P.Audio BMD750 (2" comp that not many rate) above a B&C 12PE32 and below a Kenwood slot. And you know what, they sound blooming lovely. Push them and they'll take your nans ears out but to do I'd have to run them 4x louder than they need to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>