Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simms Watts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simms Watts
    Posted: 26 February 2010 at 9:06am
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 1:29am
I can understand the interest but what a shame it's actually only a guitar speaker.  Now had it have been their 2x12 reflex plus horn tweeter PA column then I might have been interested myself, as these were popular installs in multiples in the better nightclubs of the mid 1970's (I can remember dancing to Abba's 'Dancing Queen' between multiple stereo pairs of those mounted on the concrete pillars around the dance floor!).  Didn't S-W use the top Celestion drivers of that time?
"It's all been done before - it's just that you weren't around then".
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 3:09pm
I think there are some cabs with that format on ebay just now.  Can't mind if they were WEM or HH or something.
music is the message
Spuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2010 at 11:27pm
If WEM then I'd say forget it (reminds me too much of their 4x12 plus treble horn columns as was standard issue into Mecca's Tiffany's nightclubs in the late 60's to early 70's - even the drunken punters complained how bad the sound was!).

No I'd guess that by now they were probably the 1980's HH Pro200's as in:

http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/speakerpic.asp?bigpics=dbfiles/speakers/200.jpg

(Though my personal preference from HH for the small pub gigs would just have had to be their Concert system:

http://www.hhamplification.co.uk/speakerpic.asp?bigpics=dbfiles/speakers/cb.jpg

which recently came up in conversation with a fellow old timer, and I had to admit to having never actually heard one myself,  but he assured me was exceptional for the time!).

"It's all been done before - it's just that you weren't around then".
 Post Reply Post Reply