Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to build a sound system for reggae / dub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:53pm
As Lev said you could wast money this is why I said price up the costs of preamp against components.
You could get a mostec mini pre if you still wanna use your mixer. The way I rigged the set up at home gets me by untill I get round to getting me a preamp. Each way has its advantages but the pre is the more authentic sound system route. 
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by tafaridub tafaridub wrote:

I see you live in London... Perhaps you've got a sound as well ?

Had small set, sold scoops/drivers/amps,  when nothing much was happening.

I still have mixers/outboard/LMS/Mid tops, and borrow/hire kicks/scoops when necessary.

Call the people I suggested in previous post, they are experts who will point you in the right direction.

I can help you when you know what you want to buy.... LOL

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:15pm
Get an old processor with lots of knobs on

Paint said knobs silly colours with enamel paint

Hide a processor round back of rack

bobs your uncle
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:19pm
i think ive got an old biscuit tin knocking around if it helps
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:20pm
and just ripped out the wiring to me mum's doorbell, so I could sort you out with some speaker cable
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:20pm
is it white?
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:21pm
no, flymo orange
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:27pm
LOLClap
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 7:14am
Originally posted by tafaridub tafaridub wrote:

which kinds of good delays, with "hold" function can be found, except the REALLY expensive BOSS DE 200 or all famous tape delays (such as roland's space echo)

Boss half rack delays are good but not longer available new. The rdd10 & rdd20 have good sound but dont have hold button,this not being a problem because delays are long at full feedback. Ibanez did a digital delay with a hold button . You could try fleabay.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 11:56am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by Saul Saul wrote:

if you take all the components in a pre-amp, but as seperate units, you will end up with the same sound. I.e. active xover, parametric EQ, etc

Unfortunately Saul you won't...

Outboard/pre-amps have their own advantages/disadvantages.

Some wishing to build a soundsytem, should hang out with people who own one first,  or talk to people like Ligwa/Jah Tubbys/Rensaab.

Otherwise you will waste a lot of money.

Maybe this question should be posted in Roots and Culture..

fair enough ClapSmile

but here's the setup of one of the best sounding on the block IMO - do you see a pre-amp? 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2010 at 2:25pm
Love the 4hf. I recall  Coxsonne using a studio style mixer with faders controlling bass and tops.

ollie man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ollie man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2014 at 7:49pm
Salut a toutes et a tous

J'ai besoin d'aide, Je Vais monter système sonore non, et j'aimerai Avoir des Conseils d'écoulement Fabriquer ma "tour de contrôle", I'Internet Éléments SONT indispensables? J'ai un budget de 1000 € d'environnement, je Pense Acheter des hauts parleurs d'occasion Entre 300 ET rms 500w. J'ai juste envie d'animer des petites soirées entre"amis" pour l'instant et me faire la main. J'attends beaucoup de ce site. Merci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>