Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows vista head ache

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows vista head ache
    Posted: 28 March 2010 at 6:58am
I for one am quite bad when it comes to computers. My mac is lovely but the gf's laptop is giving her and me gip.

OS is windows vista, problem is we can't un-install anything in the control pannel I get an error reading saying something like "an error occured un-installing adobe AIR (or insert any software here) as it may have already been uninstalled".

Now I want to uninstall adobe flash so i can upgrade it, and I also want to uninstall firefox as that is giving us loads of error messages all the time.

Anyone any ideas?
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 1:34pm
Format & start again probably.
As a start though, if you have Norton or McAffee remove them and burn them. If the uninstaller does not work search for norton removal tool, same for mcdafty, MAKE SURE these are from the legit websites.
But if you want to try.
Download CCleaner, install and run cleaner PER USER. It won't put a shortcut on other users, you'll have to find the .exe in CCleaner folder
As a first, go to start, accesories, cmd   right click, run as administrator.
In the black box tye    chkdsk /r
There is a space after k
It'll say cant do it, would you like to do it on re-boot, say yes and re-boot.
An hour or so later you need to go into event viewer (google it) applications and find the chkdsk report. Are there any bad sectors? If so, stop here. If not.
Download Combofix, disable your AV and run it.
Download Malwarebytes, update and do a quick scan, show results, remove selected.

If all this works, go to adminastative tools in control panel, services, then disable SUPERFETCH.

Lastly defragment, www.defragger.com is a good tool.
If you dont have at least 2gm ram then buy some, idealy 3+
Download free trial of NOD32 (AV only) or AVG free and install.

I will say though, it's quicker to start again, clean install.
ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST>Any of the above could render PC un-bootable.
It just is.
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 1:56pm
As a foot note to Flash upgrade problems, sometimes the website just thinks your version is OK, when it's not.
Fire up a different browser, do the flash update for that, look carefully you'll see, "Flash for other browsers" or similar words. You can then download the .exe for your main browser which should cure the problem.
It just is.
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 3:43pm
Cheers, will try that now!
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
djshaney View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djshaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 6:30pm
or go back to xp LOL still the best os imo

yeah i like 7, but i still find myself installing xp on any computer i own...
 Post Reply Post Reply