Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows to Mac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows to Mac
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 4:01am
Right folks, I have been a PC user for all my life now and I am spending about 3500 dollars on a new iMac 27 inch. I have to use bootcamp to run windows on my mac. Is it really worth it?
I use a heck of a lot of software, and buying mac versions is just gonna cost double. Does windows run slow on a mac? Slower than Mac OS?

Any ideas?

Edited by djstefanos - 29 March 2010 at 4:02am
system:

20 x MA W8L
12 x MA W8LC
12 x MA W8LM
20 x MA S-218
8 x D.A.S. ST-112
dunc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 8:13am
An XP partition on an Imac (or any other mac) runs no slower than it would than on an ordinary PC system. In some cases, I have found that Apple hardware actually is BETTER than PC stuff. If you use Parallels or similar software to run windows applications within the Mac OS, High graphics requirements in software can be an issue, as the drivers are all virtual (and thus take up processing space and RAM). 

In terms of buying software on mac, it is generally a lot cheaper to buy mac versions, and if you are so interested, there is just as much cracked software around for mac as there is PC, albeit a little harder to get ahold of. I know there is Logic Pro out there with all the packs etc etc available, Reason 4 and many others so do have a look around, unless you prefer legitimate versions. 

If you know any students around you, slip em some cash and get them to order the mac for you (as long as you can trust them) as you will get 14% off an Imac which is like roughly 500 dollars (rough headsums) which will give you a bit more leeway. 

If you have any more questions, feel free to bombard me with em and ill see if I can help

HTH

Dunc
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 9:27am
Originally posted by dunc dunc wrote:

I have found that Apple hardware actually is BETTER than PC stuff.

like for like their is no difference between apples foxxcon hardware and that you'd find in any other PC.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 11:13am
boot camp works brilliantly on my mac 

you can also directly transfer data like photos/music/most documents
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 11:18am
Why not just have both a PC and a Mac?

Have never met a Pc/Mac user, who was completely happy with  performance, running the other s/w thru the various gizmos available.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Why not just have both a PC and a Mac?Have never met a Pc/Mac user, who was completely happy with  performance, running the other s/w thru the various gizmos available.

A Mac is a PC, by dual booting Windows via Boot Camp you do effectively have two computers.

Plus, your Boot Camp install can be loaded in a virtual machine using Parallels or VMWare Fusion, for those times you just need to quickly use something and don't fancy a reboot. Parallels 5 is currently on offer for $50 here too:
http://www.mupromo.com/

You get a load of other software in the bundle but even if it was just Parallels that's a good price.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:32pm
ive been using VMware for the past couple of months - it's brilliant - good for little tasks like file conversion and Hornresp and stuff. 

but for intensive stuff like CAD, it struggles a bit because of the memory sharing and stuff -- so i often switch to boot camp to run with the full 4GB memory and processor
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 12:52pm
If your gonna run osx and windows on the same machine, you owe it to your self to check out macdrive for windows. I couldnt be without it now :)
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:07pm
i'm completely happy with the performance of mac & windows on my macbook pro using bootcamp

fastest & most stable i've had windows running

vmware/parallels on the other hand were a pain and put me off
4 ohms is for wimps
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:07pm
With a PC costing peanuts, and a Mac being perfect for running Mac software, wouldn't owning both  yield maximum productivity for someone needing both platforms?

Edited by levyte357 - 29 March 2010 at 1:08pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 1:54pm
most people i know who bitch about windows, do so because they bought a pile of doggy pooe PC from a highstreet firm for peenuts and expected it to be great because the 'main' numbers (processor ram gfx etc etc) were big........... NOT the case.

pay peenuts, get monkeys!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

most people i know who bitch about windows, do so because they bought a pile of doggy pooe PC from a highstreet firm for peenuts and expected it to be great because the 'main' numbers (processor ram gfx etc etc) were big........... NOT the case.

pay peenuts, get monkeys!

I guess only PC hardware geeks know about buying top quality/brand components at computer fairs and building hotbox PCs for not much money. LOL

People not in that arena, should definetly spend bit more in the shops.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>