Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 95

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 95
    Posted: 31 March 2010 at 11:04pm

Just had an old box to salvage for an old gent. Got a bespoke DOS model plane program on it. Refuses to run on 2k/xp so stuck the drive in a p3 1000 unit, 256ram. Totally different chipset yet booted fine. An hour finding/messing with drivers/USB patch etc.

Oh my God, Windows 95 and Office 97. This thing flys, boots in seconds, opens word in a blink.

Progress eh, quad core 4gb monster in the workshop seems like a slug.

What happed Microsoft, why did you bloat soCry

For writing letters etc I'm almost tempted to build myself one.
It just is.
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 11:10pm

I still miss Windows 98 SE! Cry I bet DOS would be dangerously fast!

Sound is analogue, get over it!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 4:04pm
Ditto that,got an old Panasonic toughbook running 98se,still works fine,and opens everything fast.
Be seeing you.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Ditto that,got an old Panasonic toughbook running 98se,still works fine,and opens everything fast.

Ha ha, I'm still using 98SE on my main machine. Broadband modem works fine via a network card, Firefox 2 and Opera 10 run nicely. And a generic driver got my USB sticks and memory card reader working.  It does everything I need, so why change?

I run a few DOS programs and, yes, they are ridiculously fast having been designed to run in 640k of RAM  on 5Mhz processor...

When I get a new computer I'll be going with Ubuntu.

Edited by madboffin - 01 April 2010 at 10:59pm
soundguymatt View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundguymatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 12:17am
i got meself an old laptop with a 2000 licensce, will be using that for giging and editing parameters ect. should go at lightspeed compared to a bloated xp/vista/win7
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 10:20am
Win 2000 is a very good OS. Runs stuff lots faster than XP/Vista. Used it for years, might have to dig it out and install on one of my machines
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 11:00am
XPSP3 still rules.

You just need to know how to really tune it up.... E.g, turning off  unecessary services, disabling unecessary startups.

on 3.0ghz HT CPU, + 2Gb of DDR2 800, Intel Chipset, SATA HD, XP Flies.

95/98SE Dont have decent raid/striping support, under XP stripe your main HDs, or put system and data on different HDs, and it's welcome to NASCAR.

95/98SE Also wont utilise advanced features on multi core CPUs...

Need I go on? LOL

Edited by levyte357 - 02 April 2010 at 12:36pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 11:38am

Ray,what do you recommend turning off at start-up on XP service pack3? go into msconfig,it lists the start-up item menu,whats the best ones to disable?

cheers.
Be seeing you.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Ray,what do you recommend turning off at start-up on XP service pack3? go into msconfig,it lists the start-up item menu,whats the best ones to disable?

cheers.

PM sent...
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 8:14pm
Ray, running everything turned off in XP on a mental machine wouldn't come close the the word processing speed of this 95 box. It won't do much else agreed, but the boot time and word opening time is just light years ahead of anything 2000 or XP.
 Agreed though, XP SP3 hard to beat for general machine if it's right, although 2000 sp4 is fine with a few addons, msconfig being the first as it doesn't come with it! 2000 can be a slow booter though.
Now running 7 Ultimate (Technet membership rules, loads of everthing for your subscription) 32bit for now, 4gb, Quad core 6600 and 32mb cache on the W/D HDD. Geforce 8600gt 512mb not that I play any games. Very smooth box that was mostly built out of breakers, MB/HDD being new.
 7 has some nice touches now, chucking cusomers drives in and taking ownership much simplified, boot times good, to be frank, it's as good as XP, suppose that's progress...Confused
It just is.
illuminate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illuminate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 8:36pm

I used to admin a win 2K network so I’m a bit biased towards it. It ran on any machine I needed it to (dual core, RAID, SATA etc... all seemed fine), was very stable and just did the business. XP never seemed to do anything extra, apart from run slower and looked like it was inspired by the Teletubbies! I have finally migrated over to Windows 7 Ultimate which has a few random glitches but otherwise does the job well. Office 2007 is a totally different matter... but don’t get me started on it! Angry

Sound is analogue, get over it!
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by illuminate illuminate wrote:

I used to admin a win 2K network so I’m a bit biased towards it. It ran on any machine I needed it to (dual core, RAID, SATA etc... all seemed fine), was very stable and just did the business. XP never seemed to do anything extra, apart from run slower and looked like it was inspired by the Teletubbies! I have finally migrated over to Windows 7 Ultimate which has a few random glitches but otherwise does the job well. Office 2007 is a totally different matter... but don’t get me started on it! Angry

Totally agree, in a domain 2000 was nice. 2000 server was also a favorite, now Server 2008Angry
It just is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>