Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 79>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 12:15pm
Have you considered integrating a mixer into it?

For example: http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=15603&random=&cid=&src=Search

Weight is 200 grams, and if it retails for £20 I doubt it would add anything significant to the cost of production if you could work out an arrangement with the manufacturer (or just copy it :D)

Would probably help to further define it as a literal "mini rig", rather than a high quality boombox.

Edited by Hemisphere - 29 April 2010 at 12:17pm
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 12:57pm
thats more of a novelty product imo, you would need at least CDJs or decks to do anything really then you may aswell have a proper mixer. as you cant change the speed on an ipod, you may as well just plug both ipods in and adjust the volumes on the ipods to "mix"
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 1:14pm
Very nice looking Dave. I've been telling my housemate to hold off buying an ipod dock thingy until this comes out. I'll show him tonight.
Don't test the champignon sound
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 2:18pm
Perhaps consider using flush rotary dials for the gain, maybe on the rear? If you finish the final mould in that 'wood' style brown you had on an earlier prototype it'd look really, really nice. The dials and USB socket you have currently kind of make it look cheap and nasty, and that won't help sales much.

Similar to these dials:
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 3:05pm
Looking really good. Unless it's essential in terms of layout/space, I'd move the USB port to the rear and as Toasty says use detented (or recess the) volume controls. I'd keep the volume control for the main speaker & on/off switch on the front personally.

I know chunky big cables for a 3.5mm jack are pretty pointless, but my 3.5mm cable (http://www.chokemusic.co.uk/image/cache/atlantic_3mm-3mm-600x600.jpg) wouldn't fit in that I don't think as the volume control is too close.

Is there a DC in for mains charging at the back?

Hemisphere - that thing you posted looks like it could be good fun down the park - MP3 ports though!? hehe
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 3:09pm
aye, recessing the knobs i reckon will make it far tougher, they are the only bits sticking out and will go first when dropped Tongue
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 9:26pm
yes i agree that it would be better to get rid of the sticking out volume controls.. but its hard find recessed ones when you're buying parts in singles from normal distributors and working with cots parts. 

I just clocked the minirig (stereo) doing 108db at 1m in my lounge... pics to come
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 10:38am
hey dave.

ordering 100-200 units from a bristol based company like Amalgam where they will do all mould making, casting and finishing will mean mould cost doesnt even come into it.  id imagine they will just give you a unit cost.  to keep costs down you should would aim to design the case so it has minimal sharp edges and detailing so as to limit the damage the mould incures per cast and then they are less likely to need to keep making new moulds.  a spherical shape will also mean 'finishing' is kept to the minimum.  colour/texture/material choice is also very important.  im sure amalgam would suggest the best material to go for.  personally im in love with an ABS style resin (cant remember the name) which casts extremely well and if dropped, has the same durability.  due to the slight warp of curing resin it is worth factoring this into the design.  maybe instead going for a flat face joint using a thin bit of rubber forming the seal.  could you not have a basic screwdriver pot in the back for tweeking to their specific ipod/player and have the user just use the source volume control while in use?  and have the on/off switch built into the input jack to keep it simple.     
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:17pm
hi, just a suggestion, although I guess this just makes it all more complicated, but if I had one of these, I'd take it down the beach, and if I did that, I bet after 1 afternoon that USB port would be full of sand. so if there was any way that some kind of rubber plug could go over it to stop that happening, then it might be a good idea.

looks wicked.
hond View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by bassmish bassmish wrote:

hi, just a suggestion, although I guess this just makes it all more complicated, but if I had one of these, I'd take it down the beach, and if I did that, I bet after 1 afternoon that USB port would be full of sand. so if there was any way that some kind of rubber plug could go over it to stop that happening, then it might be a good idea.

looks wicked.

that's a good point :p
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 1:12pm
+1 on the USB port thing.

I took a portable speaker to a festival, and although it didn't have a USB port, the mp3 player I was using it with did. The speaker was fine, but the USB on the player was unfixable.

Edited by Hemisphere - 02 May 2010 at 1:14pm
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 7:45pm
also, I was thinking, if you wanted to make one with a port, but didn't want it to fill up with sand or mud or whatever, just use a passive driver!! = same thing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 79>