Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 79>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:03am
On the port comments: yes I've thought of that and looked into it - there are no cots rubber bungs for usb b ports. Only the A type. Also, i'm sure it would get lost very quickly. The usb b ports are fairly big and robust and it'd power only, not data. I'm sure it would survive a bit of sand as long as you blew it out after. I'lk think about it though. 

Passive driver is a nono. They don't exist in this size and the cost wouldn't be worthwhile. grill/foam is a better option. 

but yea, its going to be an outdoor product so need to think about all these things. Luckly the cone is pretty waterproof so thats a bonus. :)
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
minaximal View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minaximal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:49am
looks good,

how about some of these for the sand:

Subs + Barges = :)

www.metaacoustics.com

davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:54am
Good suggestion but too pricey
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:48pm
something like this should do the trick :

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:05am
Just spotted the minirig in a banner for O2 ;)

Okay maybe not exactly.. but an uncanny resemblance I'd say :D even seems to be the same driver!
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:58am
Hi. That's good work but I think it's got to sound better if you used a 2 or 3 or 4 way system. One speaker may be able to reproduce all frequencies, but it can't reproduce them all at the same time. The wider the range of any speaker and the more power, the greater the intermodulation distortion. Even a piezo tweeter would help, and would be very easy to add. I hope this helps.
former Eurovision contestant
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

Just spotted the minirig in a banner for O2 ;)

Okay maybe not exactly.. but an uncanny resemblance I'd say :D even seems to be the same driver!

dammit you've found the source of my design..

There's a counter arguement which a lot of audiophiles and pro audio companys back to say that if you can get full range sound from a single driver then it is much better as you don't have the crossover phasing and distortion from using two or more sound sources. 
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by neilpoints neilpoints wrote:

Hi. That's good work but I think it's got to sound better if you used a 2 or 3 or 4 way system. One speaker may be able to reproduce all frequencies, but it can't reproduce them all at the same time. The wider the range of any speaker and the more power, the greater the intermodulation distortion. Even a piezo tweeter would help, and would be very easy to add. I hope this helps.

a well designed full range transducer should infact have less timing issues than a 2 way system trying to achieve the same frequency band.  how many good quality hi-fi speakers actually have physical time alignment? or delay systems?  usually a dome tweeters vc is 50mm closer to the listener than the vc of the woofer on 2 way systems.

also, i am of the belief that a well designed fullranger will suffer less intermodulation distortion than a pair of drivers over the same frequency band.

im guessing this little unit has a highpass at 100hz?  i cant see it making much of a racket below this?  i will also say that in this area, no one expects response up to 20k anyway.  picnic goers wont mind if that little driver starts to roll off at 15khz and a bit of electronic eq built into the board will counteract this.

adding a tweeter adds size, cost, and undue hassle imo  
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:54am
ps, the timing issues will still be there (and as noticeable-which isn't very noticeable anyway) on a 2 way system because the critical band of 250hz-5khz will be being reproduced by a single diaphragm anyway. 
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:36pm
i want to see more on this as it develops. i think its a great little speaker ps me want one.
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:18pm
Thanks Edd! Yea, I've just today gone part time at work so I will be able to put some real hours into the business now. I'l keep you posted. 
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 9:46pm
Hello to those interested. I've been working hard on this and keep hitting difficulties but i'm getting there. This is the current CAD model, not finished of course but will give you an idea:

Its hopefully going to be quite elegant, cheap and simple to make as i'm aiming for the front and back halfs to be identical to half my tooling cost. Vacuum forming worked out very expensive, so i'm going to try to make my own silicone moulds from SLA and pour my own PU castings for the first 20-100. 

One of many design difficulties is the ports. Trying to control port noise and velocity at max volume whilest keeping the design complexity and costs to a minimum. 

Help and ideas very welcome!

Edited by davey t - 06 August 2010 at 9:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 79>