Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 79>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 10:58am
Where can I send you the money to preorder one, basically?
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 11:16am
:D got the website going up very soon.. this week hopefully. 

can you comment on the charging socket... I was going to make it a large USB type B socket but I think the 5.5mm DC power socket looks better, seals better and is more universal? It's going to come with a 5.5mm to USB cable 

the 3.5mm sockets are of course linked so you can daisy chain them up. The light at the bottom changes colour depending upon battery charge level. 

No volume control on this prototype... i'm not sure whether to add it or not. It would be in the form of touch buttons on the top but would add cost and increase the price. 

Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 11:41am
Clap
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 12:46pm
whats the cylinder made out of?

lookin' good
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

:D got the website going up very soon.. this week hopefully. 

can you comment on the charging socket... I was going to make it a large USB type B socket but I think the 5.5mm DC power socket looks better, seals better and is more universal? It's going to come with a 5.5mm to USB cable 

the 3.5mm sockets are of course linked so you can daisy chain them up. The light at the bottom changes colour depending upon battery charge level. 

No volume control on this prototype... i'm not sure whether to add it or not. It would be in the form of touch buttons on the top but would add cost and increase the price. 

USB sockets do tend to get loose, even the smaller micro and mini types but to be honest DC barrels aren't much better - as anybody who's ever done laptop repairs will tell you. Depending on how accessible the DC input is for repairs, I'm fine with it.

Don't think a volume control is needed as long as the input sensitivity is high enough/impedance low enough to accomodate the wide range of output devices found in MP3 players and phones. Perhaps a simple flathead screw that can adjust the input sensitivity just in case?
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 1:05pm
brilliant mate!.  no need for a volume control imo.  id set it up to work best with an ipod source.  maybe just have a little pot inside, and a hole for a precision screwdriver if someone desperately needs to get it working for a less popular source. 

is there an active highpass filter before the amplifier?  id love to hear 20 of these hooked up!
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
abbotsmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbotsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 1:18pm
Looks awesome! The DC jack should be fine, they are common as muck, and cheap! as said, they tend to work loose, but mostly through abuse, and this should be stationary when charging. Volume control not essential IMO, as said, just make sure it can make full volume off an iPod/iPhone/mobile phone source.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 1:51pm
good feedback thanks!

I think barrel socket will be more reliable in the long run. You can charge it from anything between 2-8V so it's pretty adaptable. You can even charge from a 3xAA batteries with the right adapter

Its currently set to around 30db gain which gives you max output (just) from an ipod nano. The only trouble is the noise floor is higher with a high gain and listening at really really low volumes is compromised

Its also a pain when using a laptop as you have to turn all the various volume controls right down

an idea just occurred to me to have two gain settings - a low and high which you select by plugging into either the lower or upper jack socket. Obviously if you link through and use both then it will set to high. 

I think that could work quite well. :)

oh the case and grill is aluminium of course. The prototype isn't anodised but the final version will be. 
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 2:03pm
What's wrong with a high/low switch?
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 2:04pm
I might have to rack your brains about production tooling/costs, well both you and rich. Currently working on a commercial project
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

What's wrong with a high/low switch?

switches are a no no... the speaker relies on complete air seal which a switch would compromise. plus the extra cost. 
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2011 at 9:44pm
Is there a projected price for this latest design?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 79>