Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Minirig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 777879
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

So here it is..... been working on this for months and finally have the prototype built and working and would love to share it with you guys to hear your thoughts!:

(Sorry the forum image link wasn't working)

So yea, I plan to make a business out of selling these... or similar. so can't say too much about whats inside except that they're very loud, sound is really good with impressive bass, 80 hours+ battery life, charges from USB socket, light weight (~400g) and pretty damn robust. Just adding a grill next.

Oh, and its stereo! there is an output for the right speaker at the back. The control on the right switches between mono/stereo and sets the volume of the right speaker. The left knob turns it on/off and set volume of left main speaker. There are two 3.5mm sockets to enable you to link lots together daisy-chain style!

:D

My sister has on my recommendation just purchased a rather fetching dark blue Minirig and I thought I would bring this post up from 2010 and say congratulations to Mr T for his sterling endeavour.  From acorns..  
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
algy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote algy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 6:19pm
I’m getting married this year, and was wondering about how plausible it would be to use a Minirig based setup for the reception (venue is 100-150 people capacity, long oblong room, not too bothered if people at the far end have it quiet as long as it’s pretty effective for the first 30m or so. Currently have a 2.1 setup but quite happy to go up to something like a 4.2, for example. I use them loads both at home and for (much smaller, admittedly) other parties, so not bothered about overspending on them as it were.

If it’s relevant, music will be mostly the kind of guff you get at wedding receptions - Bon jovi or whatever. Later, and at other parties, it’s more likely to be Jeff Mills/Dave Clarke/Surgeon type techno.

Edited by algy - 12 January 2022 at 6:22pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2022 at 7:03pm
As great as the Minirig is, not a chance. A 2.1 setup can hit about 103 dB linear SPL peak at 1 metre.

Doubling that would get you an extra 6 dB, in a theoretically perfect world. Since we don't live in one of those, the distance offsets and spacing would bring that down a fair bit.

Either way, that's only just over 90 dB average, right next to the speakers. At 30 metres, you're looking at 60 dB, which is already going to get lost in the typical background noise levels for a normal conversation, let alone a party.

That's also without considering the people walking in front of the speakers, absorbing sound. You'd normally put your mains (constant directivity horn assumed) up high and angle them down to aim at the farthest listener, so that inverse distance law evens out the level front to back.

To do that, you need directivity and headroom, since you're moving the source farther away from everyone, and unfortunately you don't have it in that setup.

For what it's worth, I hung up several 'line arrays' of Minirigs at Outlook Festival a few years back, for people in the ticket exchange queue to listen to. It worked quite well, but each of them had 6 Minirigs (v1) connected, and there were 4 or 5 'hangs' from memory. Cool marketing concept, but even a single compression driver on a horn and a 12" woofer per side would give more consistent SPL and tonal response from front to back.

Where are you based? If it’s in the UK, you could always look to book the Doppler Soundsystem, which is by the Minirig guys and still battery powered.

Edited by toastyghost - 12 January 2022 at 7:06pm
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 1:42pm
Hiya

Just a quick question - is it safe to use my minirigs with them resting on their sides?  Will this damage them at all?
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
Ganon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2022 at 8:13pm
No problem in letting them play tilted 👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 777879