Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN XD4000 Test Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 8:05pm
hmmm, the 6000 is giving me ideas, expensive ones.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 8:06pm
yes, many amps are stable to 2 ohms under music ( dynamic) conditions.

i define stable as being thermally stable, with the output stage being within its SOA
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:37pm
no one please reply to the infamous "2 ohm stabilty question"

its about pkn amps,not that
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Tiff Tiff wrote:

no one please reply to the infamous "2 ohm stabilty question"

its about pkn amps,not that

LOL

Thought I read in Amp forum, you can connect 2 ohm loads to the PKNs, but you wont get anymore power?

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 12:56pm
Yeah that's what I read. I wonder whether that suggests the current limiting is good enough to prevent serious damage to the amp by running 2ohm?

I can understand manufacturers being reluctant to specify 2ohm specs. If some customers ran four 8ohm drivers a side and the real impedance seen by the amp goes much below 2ohms at 35Hz, the amp might go pop. Not really the manufacturers fault as the amp's being run outside of spec, but the customer probably wouldn't be too pleased with that response.
p1go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

6. Hungary does'nt have electricity, so does'nt know how to make amps.
7. Amp isn't made in England, so it's Chinese.

No, no, no.
PKN is made in Hungary, Székesfehérvár.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by p1go p1go wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

6. Hungary does'nt have electricity, so does'nt know how to make amps.
7. Amp isn't made in England, so it's Chinese.

No, no, no.
PKN is made in Hungary, Székesfehérvár.

I know..

It was sarcasm... based on what many say on here.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:19pm
Lewis,i have just been looking at your website..."Old jamaican amp"....Health and safety would have kittens! LOL

Be seeing you.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:38pm
The internals of that Jamaican amp are.... Spartan to say the least.
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:08pm
It IS HUNGARIAN, i know that company they making amplifiers more than 10years.
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 4:42pm
2R is a very poor solution , Everybody knows it who compared in sound quality 4R or 8R systems to 2R.
The 2R system has much less bass and loose real dynamics does not matter what type of amp you got...
There is no way to ignore physics, the speaker wires is still not SUPERCONDUCTIVE!

Anyway we have lots of PKN XE6000 which is very similar like XD, all of loaded around 4R. It gives ~7KW on 4R total but would drop bellow ~4KW on 2R. So 2R is completely nevermind on these high powered amps.

Otherwise we have migrated to PD1850/16R version, 16R speakers are slightly better than 8R and we can connect four of them to a single amp channel. So it sounds far better than anything similar 2R system ;-)

For the 2R high-current Fans: I know some cheap guys who run with xd2500 without problem and they got something 3KW from that amp.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:18pm
Just looking at the internals of the 'Old Jamaican amp' reminds me of the heatsink assembley found in the old Rauch DVT series amplifiers.
It was also available along with a range of MosFet power amplifier modules through a company based just outside Liverpool. I believe it was Phil Rimmer of Rimmer electronics.

I fitted four of these modules into a system in the Oakley House Country Club in Brewood around 1984 and they lasted for quite a few years.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>