Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Toys - Fane Sovereign Pro 15-600LF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:33am
Originally posted by Calculus Calculus wrote:

Originally posted by chris_k chris_k wrote:

The Pro ones are cast chassis. Pressed ones are the normal Sovereign

yeah i knew that already, wasn't paying a great deal of attention to the post obviously. but is that the only difference???
Anyway the pressed steel chasis look pretty tough so i'm not that worried.. they may even be slightly lighter because of it.
The pro has longer voice coil (26mm vs 18mm) so higher xmax and greater bass control at high excursion

Edited by ArthurG - 26 May 2010 at 3:41am
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:39am
Originally posted by CHAMPION CHAMPION wrote:

The New Fane 15 can be compared to the Eminance 15" range ..some of the new Fane range will match or better the Eminance range.

No. Fane is way way above of the similar priced Eminance (in terms of musicality, frequency response and cone quality).
In the pro entry level stuff, no one is close to Fane now. Kudos to Mark and his team Clap

PS: I have compared Kappa 15LFA vs Sov 15-600LF and Kappa Pro 15LF2 vs Sov Pro 15-600LF.

Edited by ArthurG - 26 May 2010 at 3:39am
Jim Ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:45am
ArthurG: Sure would be nice to hear these new drivers in some boxes!
BTW You have a PM Wink
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:53am
Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

Originally posted by chris_k chris_k wrote:

can see the cost cutting went on the pressed steel chasis rather than cast... but still its really thick pressed steel. They certainly don't look like they're gonna fall apart. quite impressed by sound in one of my piramid boxes also.

The Pro ones are cast chassis. Pressed ones are the normal Sovereign

yeah i knew that already, wasn't paying a great deal of attention to the post obviously. but is that the only difference???
Anyway the pressed steel chasis look pretty tough so i'm not that worried.. they may even be slightly lighter because of it.
The pro has longer voice coil (26mm vs 18mm) so higher xmax and greater bass control at high excursion

aha its in the xmax 5.5mm compared to 6.9mm think the difference may not be so bad for me then.
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:50am
very interested to find out how these work in hd15s still not got around to loaded my hd215s yet
silastristan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silastristan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:09pm
Looking forward how to use them. had them before.
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:31pm
is either one (pro/non pro) better suited to the HD15 in terms of specs i don't know how to tell? i may end up buying some of these
Szorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Szorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:54pm
I'm getting 2x15" 500W Pros soon. Well, tomorrow actually. I'll pop them in my reflex cab and let you know how it goes Smile 
Safe breadbin, Quorn?
Looking for: Tape Echo
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 5:58pm
I have just been building some 15" bandpass horns and had the opportunity to test the Sov Pro 15-500LF against the Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF and also an old ME15-300B. The Sovereign sounded a lot better to my ears, clearer and more purposeful. It also feels and looks lot better built.
I told the client this and he's mildly annoyed that the new driver beats his old ones...cos now he feels like he has to pay for the Fanes!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by mattd mattd wrote:

is either one (pro/non pro) better suited to the HD15 in terms of specs i don't know how to tell? i may end up buying some of these

The general consensus seems to be that HD15 drivers should have a minimum X-Max of 5.5mm. The sovereign 15-600LF qualifies on that basis but the Pro version is 6.9mm so would presumably be better.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

The general consensus seems to be that HD15 drivers should have a minimum X-Max of 5.5mm. The sovereign 15-600LF qualifies on that basis but the Pro version is 6.9mm so would presumably be better.

The sims I have done for HD15s, clearly show Sovereign Pro 15-500 to have smoother, flatter response than either Sov Pro 15-600LF or PD154.

Which is why I swapped back 2x of my new Pro 15-600LFs for 2x Pro 15-500.

Will do the comparison this week or next, and report back.
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
mattd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

The sims I have done for HD15s, clearly show Sovereign Pro 15-500 to have smoother, flatter response than either Sov Pro 15-600LF or PD154.

Which is why I swapped back 2x of my new Pro 15-600LFs for 2x Pro 15-500.

Will do the comparison this week or next, and report back.

good work ! look forward to hearing results. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>