Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audix OM5 or more Beta58A mics ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audix OM5 or more Beta58A mics ?
    Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:31pm
I need to order some additional vocal mics..  Cant really decide if I should order Audix OM5 or Shure Beta58a ?... Any thoughts?..

Personally I like the OM5, but has anyone had complaints on this vs the beta when it comes to riders?

/p
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:38pm
Have a look at the AKG D5, for me this is the DCX of the Mic world. Available in the UK as low as £46 which really is a bargain.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 20 May 2010 at 6:38pm
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:42pm
So you are saying that the D5 sounds better than the OM5 ?

real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:46pm
I am having to use memory when comparing the two as I have never done a side by side comparison. I personally would take the D5 for its clean mid and extended top end.

If you like the SM58 you aint gonna like the D5.

Tony
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:01pm
I dont particularly enjoy the SM58, but I find the beta better, but not as nice as the OM5.. thoughts?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 8:56pm
I much prefer the Beta over the standard 58 but I know a lot of pepes that just will not budge from the standard 58.

Tony
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:20pm
beta 58's & 57's are more forgiving of bad technique than the om5. if they stray off it you'll have a difficult time. however, on the other end of bad technique, om5's are easier when it comes to people cupping.

can't imagine you'd have rider issues. this very evening a touring engineer brought his own set of audix d2/4 mics and used our d6. it's just that the vocal mics are quite pricey this side of the atlantic compared to sennheiser/shure. 

for reference, we have

four beta 57a
a couple of sm58
3/4 senn e835
four senn e845
about eight beyer m300tg
a couple of audix om2 & a couple of om3
and then one om5, one om6 and two beta 87

all useful in different circumstances...

Edited by el chupacabra - 20 May 2010 at 10:25pm
Ben_Lawrance View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben_Lawrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 12:24am
It's all about the OM7 for vocals. You just can't beat it.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 11:28am
+1 on the AKG D5. I was so impressed, I bought 5!

Can't comment on the Audix as I've never used one.

It's horses for courses, as usual. The Beta58 is a better sounding mic than the SM58 but it doesn't work with some people - either because of the tonal quality of their voice or because of their mic technique.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
elmoshpit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmoshpit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 11:04pm
We use audix OM2 ,OM5 and OM7 in our higher stock and much prefer those to the sound of a 58 or beta 58. Unfortunately this isnt the way that everyone sees it i spose -  alot of riders are full of 58's or beta 58 and if the act is quite large you've gotta be able to supply it. In terms of quality i would pitch for audix all the way but if your worried about riders id still definately keep some shure in your stock. Give it a few years and maybe these touring engineers will start to wake up! 
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 2:06am
With touring riders, a quick conversation with the engineer usually results in a pleasant surprise. They often just put 57s and 58s on there because they're industry standard and will do the job. When you actually speak to them and tell them what's available, they often prefer that to what's been spec'd and/or are willing to try it.

That said, I've been doing live sound for about 11 years now and worked with a lot of acts over that time. I've generally found that if a band and/or engineer really want specific mics (especially important with vocals - which vary so much), they'll bring them with them.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
philw44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philw44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 2:21am
I'm going to buy a D5 tomorrow along with a couple of XM8500's. My Sm58 broke last week.

Will let you know how the D5 performs!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>