Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Audix OM5 or more Beta58A mics ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 2:24am
I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed with the D5 - especially considering its price.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
BlueDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 2:25am
Personally I'm a big Sennheiser fan. At the 58 price point I really think the 835 or 845 win hands down, the 845 being the super-cardioid one so better feedback rejection if used properly albeit without the help of the little lift towards the top of the vocal range. I think I'm quite rare here, but I really like the 840 too. Most people I speak to don't rate it but it's essentially the same mic as the 835, but you're sacrificing some warmth for better feedback rejection. If you have the luxury to mix and match then an 835 (or 840 if there are feedback issues) on a female vocalist every time.

Cheers
philw44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philw44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 3:06am
Yeah I agree the Sennheisers work okay on female vocals.

They(835,840,845) have never warmed to my ears though. All of them have this weird midrange voicing. The 935 was nicer but could get a bit raspy in the top end.

The SM58 seems okay on everyone but not particularly special on anyone.
Beta 58 - too much presence at 2K. Gets harsh very quickly.
SM57 Beta - Probably one of my fav mics with a deeper male voice. Doesn't seem to work with much else.

All the dynamics I've tried in this sort of price range seem to have something I don't like about them.
Progrezz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrezz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 11:47am
The Audix OM5 is a great sounding microphones, it sounds absolutely great without EQ because it has a tailored response. But these are just as much about feedback-rejection as they are about sound. If you want better sound, buy a condenser. If you want better feedback-rejection and ambient-rejection, well, there is nothing that comes close to the Audix's (mainly the OM7).

These microphones are great on small and loud stages. You won't pick up much sound of the drums and guitar-amps around you. You can also blast the monitors without it feeding back. But there is one very important thing you need to take care of; the artist using it has to be pretty much a mic-kisser.

So... 2 very different microphones, but the Audix will be a GREAT addition to your set. In case the artist sings far away from the mic, give him a Shure. If he sticks his face on it, give him the Audix.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by philw44 philw44 wrote:

I'm going to buy a D5 tomorrow along with a couple of XM8500's. My Sm58 broke last week.

Will let you know how the D5 performs!
Are you sure about the XM8500? I bought some to cause you can't go worng for 30 quid, but i think it sucks. No defined low range in the vocals and gives feedback easily, the caridoid pattern really can't be called so. Also the diaphragm is suspended wrong in my opinion, you can always hear it when someone grabs onto it, even with high-pass filtering at 80Hz

Edited by Teunos - 02 June 2010 at 4:18pm
Best regards,
Teun.
philw44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philw44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Teunos Teunos wrote:

Originally posted by philw44 philw44 wrote:

I'm going to buy a D5 tomorrow along with a couple of XM8500's. My Sm58 broke last week.

Will let you know how the D5 performs!
Are you sure about the XM8500? I bought some to cause you can't go worng for 30 quid, but i think it sucks. No defined low range in the vocals and gives feedback easily, the caridoid pattern really can't be called so. Also the diaphragm is suspended wrong in my opinion, you can always hear it when someone grabs onto it, even with high-pass filtering at 80Hz

Heya - I'm just getting them as spares really. Most of the time they will be used for situations with greater than 3 vocalists or for crappy college metal bands who disrespect the equipment!
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2010 at 6:52pm
Heres a quick update..

I was doing a festival thing ( pics will follow ) this weekend, and during the usual pre show panic shopping, I bought a pair of AKG D5 mics, mainly because I needed a few extra mics, but also because I felt the need to test them..

I've just ordered 4 more... Need I say more? :-)

real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12