Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1x18 tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1x18 tapped horn
    Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:12am
Plans linky added http://forum.speakerplans.com/1x18-tapped-horn_topic39552_page3.html

Hi you all

I have played abit with some (3sheets of 1220x2400) 18mm birchply and made a tapped horn sub prototype for Void V18-1000. Hogscoop was somekind of fuel for my thoughts, but I wanted it to go lower and higher. So like 30-150Hz one way solution, capable of doing both sub and kick, even with just one per side. I shall call her Miss Piggy.

At this point things look so promising that I'll do 3pcs more. I also purchased Crest 9001 for driving them. The box took 89Vrms 30Hz sinewave with no problems, (except all shelves in warehouse toilet were spitting all things to the floor) althou I was bit scared when the glue started to set and let out the famous void smell LOL. I'll let the plans out as I have tested the whole lot of four subs.

construction pic.

More to come later....

Andy

edit:1. dead pic links, 2. plans, 3. dead links again, f***ing photobucket

Edited by AndyWave - 15 September 2017 at 3:52pm
torturing electrons since ......
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 12:34pm
Good work man Clap

I had have thoughts on a bit similar lines but decided to take a bit higher low cutoff to keep cabinet more compact while maintaining high efficiency.
Also intended as single bass solution to avoid dedicated kick bins in system.

According to first tests seems pretty musical and can play up to 140~150 without honking (man says that 125-130 is choice for best results .. which I would also recommend)

Be careful with choice of high cut  crossover point because many bass cabs show on freq. response up to ~200Hz or higher while usable (not "heavy colored" sound w/o honk or ringing) maybe permits to go to ~100 - 120Hz..

Keep god work Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
          Stipe

Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
CoblosBrengose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoblosBrengose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 1:27pm
subscribed.
did you play with Vtc/Atc/Ap1/Lpt to see if higher cutoff improves?
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:06pm
to Staiper

Box had indeed bit of ringing at 106Hz, but I made kind of a phaseplug to the throat, on front of the driver. Same kind like Mykeys C4-S brute 45. Problem solved. The "plug" also made the 90-200 region whole lot smoother and one could get away with only one parametric eq like -6dB/135Hz/Q1,5. Also bracing helps.

to CoblosB

I model horns mainly in akabak, and use hornresponse to see if it gives similar response.

Higher cutoff changed bit, but when I made Vtc too small there was suddenly 2-4dB dip in measurements in 40-90Hz area... no good 'cause kickdrum meat is all there.

few pics more

Dry fit

Displacement plug from side

Driver assy plate

Center piece. The construction must start inside parts first.

Polyurethane glue and hobau half thread screws used, last side is only screwed in place with some thin weatherstrip to make some later modifications possible as these are prototypes...

Interestingly akabak impedance prediction and real life were within 0-1hz for peak freqs and within 0-4 for ohm values, according to NTI minirator pro.

A single box has usable response to 30Hz and 33Hz upwards it starts to shine. Can't wait to hear 2per side or block of 4, should be dangerous.

Andy

edit- I remebered mykeys cabinet type wrong. (1.That doesn't exclude the possibility C-4S having p-plug, 2. new pic links 3. pics added)

Edited by AndyWave - 15 September 2017 at 4:01pm
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:55pm
Looks shagadelic Nuke
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
CoblosBrengose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoblosBrengose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2010 at 3:46am
hi Andy,
will 18TBX100 work on this?
b&c is readily available worldwide, and i don't thing everyone willing to import V18: 20 kg gross weight per piece, freight cost is nightmare Cry

Edited by CoblosBrengose - 01 June 2010 at 3:58am
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 3:55am
Surprised DJK didnt mention this but all the bracing in the mouth effects the high end output.
Go over to DIYAudio.com and read the TH for Live PA thread under Subwoofers. ScreamerUSA did a bit of testing with his Furybox.
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 1:52pm
thanks to filipC, must read things you're suggesting. I was thinking to do the mouth bracing in different way anyway (mouth sidepanels are resonating), remember this is prototype evolving...

and Mr CBr, I simmed few more general purpose drivers, and found out that they may not work too well in this design, BxL in 18-1000 is quite high. I'll do more sims in near future, at the moment I'm in a hurry...

Andy
JDCutta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDCutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:18am
Hey, hows the build going, any new updates? 

Just wondering if any of the eminence drivers/budget drivers work well in this? 
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:43pm
wow.  it dwarfs the void driver.  bet it drops low.  great for keeping cool and limiting the thermal compression during prolonged use.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:06am
Yellow!

Some progression on my prototype. I was brave enough to drive the single channel of crest9001 to clip level in my cabinet for an hour or so. No excursion problems with some d&b (prodigy-charly), ambient (aphex twin- selected ambient works vol1) etc. Processor limiters set so that I won't distort the amp input. Subsonic set to 28Hz/24db Butterworth , as it sounded most natural with live material and I didn't lose any of the perceived punch. Lowpass at 116Hz/24 and eq:d 30hz/0,3oct/+2dB and 133Hz/0,55oct/-5dB. I also made some ground plane sensitivity measurements, 1m/2,83V and outcome was 102dB at 33Hz and 108dB at 133Hz.

I'm now trying to get the cabinet pieces to be drawn as .dwg or some other cnc-machine accepted format, and also found a place which could do the cnc cutting with reasonable cost.

Mouth bracing is now bit different for easy grille assembly and less panel resonances near mouth. Some handle holes are cut near corners, using the empty space behind corner reflectors.

Andy

edit spelling

Edited by AndyWave - 28 July 2010 at 10:08am
jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 6:31pm
hey andy.

looks very good on the response. are you going to post the plans.....

tx
Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>