Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1x18 tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:20pm
Hi Sir Jamwa and others

Yes, I'm going to release the plans when I have them in digital format.

At the moment plans are only in 1:10 handy-cad format. This led to some problems when assembling the prototype as I had to cut all odd angels by good guesstimation, or at least trim the angles few times before each piece fitted in even moderately.

The ply was bit warped, that's one reason I didn't use MDF at first. When the inspiration to mock up a proto hitted me, I thought that warped sheets make good protoing material.(and made the bigger panels fitting ill without some exceptional use of elbow grease)Dead

Small benefit using ply at once; panel resonances are different on different density materials and bend modulus(is it correct expression?) is different between MDF and ply.

I must warn you that some of the inner parts (throat area) are made with 27mm birch ply to withstand high pressures more easily. Rest of the cab is about 3 sheets of 18mm BB/WG grade birch.

The cabinets' intention is to do its thang (go somewhere low 30's) in small stacks, 1 or 2 per side. For a larger system, normal FLH would be more efficient.

Andy

P.S.

I'm on my way to see Rally-Finland in Jyväskylä area and need to drive some 300km to a friends cabin...tadaa.Beer
torturing electrons since ......
jamwa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 2:04pm
Lord Wave,

That would be great if you could get the plans up....
have fun on your rally thing...

not the same but a mate did the gumball a few years ago and ended up with a £20k cost to get his car back!!!!

J

Sound, Light, Projection, Display, Cameras and production support
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:04pm
Some progression. For next 3subs,

I ordered 10sheets of 18mm ply recently and waiting for the delivery.

Also got drawings in autocad / CAM compatible format, many thanks to Lasse Lukkari.

Edited by AndyWave - 08 October 2010 at 2:12pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:17pm
"Rest of the cab is about 3 sheets of 18mm BB/WG grade birch."

is this box bigger than a Lab sub then???
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:08pm
1200x636x1200 HWD, so biggest shell that could be cutted economically and with relative ease.

Answer to your question is yes. Lab sub 1143x571,5x1143 HWD

Edited by AndyWave - 08 October 2010 at 2:26pm
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 9:10pm
I would have made it 600 wide so that it has 1:2 ratio in dimensions.

Andy I noticed you have uploaded pic of something called "Wavesub12" Would you like to tell me something about it, I'm quite interested.
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 5:24pm
Hello mr fly

Wavesub12 was one up project I made for live music bar (Liberte) in Helsinki. I did use 2x beyma 12P1000nd's in a simple fold tapped horns. Sub enclosures double as a stage extension. And are made of 27mm ply.

When tested, I fed 'em with EV CP 3000S in bridge, flat out. Didn't bottom out the drivers, only turned down because of the voice coil smell....Of course with appropriate processing.

Andy

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 6:36pm
Haha that's what I suspected, I happen to mostly take care of the sound there these days because Pave doesn't have time. Those subs really fit the place. Recently we upgraded from those (too) old PSL amps to T.amp Prolines (the budget isn't too big) and the 3000 really does quite nice job driving them.

Do you live in Finland?
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2010 at 7:32pm
Yup

PM'd

-A
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 11:06am
Hello

Got myself busy after work everyday last week. I'm exhausted and feeling like I took good beating.

Second Piglet is allmost finished (wood ready). Gotta burn in the second driver and may take two last corner reflectors out of the first box.

I left the reflectors out of the second box to compare if it'll drop lower without ruining the higher bass response.

I think its now easier to judge the sound with two cabinets (one per side, the obvious minimum).

Andy
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 4:49pm
Three cabinets ready now, waiting fourth.

Mandatory rigshots from smallish festivity on my friends backyard from later times.

Andy

edit: dead pic links x2

Edited by AndyWave - 15 September 2017 at 4:05pm
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 12:38am
Didnt I post on here about having a brace in the mouth of a TH?

You need to do some reading over at DIYAudio.com
Look for TH for Live Sound thead. Read it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>