Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1x18 tapped horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2014 at 5:08pm
I modeled LF21N551 in AkAbak, and compared it to void 18V1000. Void gives lower notes with higher sensitivity than the RCF. Maybe because void has lower Fs and other parameters.

RCF is kind of a monster, what was that good price? (and from where?)

SPL-wise RCF is more louder. No wonder with higher power handling and bigger cone area+Xmax.

My design is mainly extracting everything outta void driver in tapped horn configuration, and I don't believe that swapping drivers with your eyes shut gives good results.

My options were not to buy psychos because I'm such poor bastard, so DIY saved lot of cash, and I'm crazy enough to lug such big and heavy boxes around, and have access to old Mercedes 611 with lift LOL

Last time my subs were used outside, with live rock'n'roll band, party host came to talk me and said it was really some few years ago when he'd felt the bass drum grabbing not only his pants but T-shirt sleeves as well.

FohGuy also said "You've built good stereos, pitty my missus won't let me take 'em to my living room"

Edited by AndyWave - 15 September 2017 at 3:13pm
torturing electrons since ......
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2014 at 7:06pm
Used to be cheap at teamaudio and som italian shop, but the price appears to have exploded since then because of neo metal price i guess. It's almost two years ago I was playing around with it
I did do my own design, and I would start it again if I get the time, lost my old laptop with it.
I was playing around to see what I could gain from an expanding mouth.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 1:42pm
I'd say you'll got more even frequency response and bit higher sensitivity with expanding mouth area, but only with drivers with low Fs (when the driver fs and horn tuning are near each other), high BL and low Qts. So no easy rule of thump here.
Strawberry Jam Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strawberry Jam Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 1:12pm
Hey Tuenos, I love the look of the miss piggy design but it's just a little too massive for me, whats the sketch with your smaller version? seen them in another thread and thought they looked ace

Edited by Strawberry Jam Sound - 06 March 2017 at 1:15pm
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 6:15am
Small update.

18sound 18LW2500 seems to fit this design by AkAbak model. Compared to Void 18V1000, 0,4dB more sensitivity, bit smoother response and 2,4dB more maximum SPL because of 1000W vs 1600W.

This is purely theoretical and does not take account bigger air compression in horn throat with larger excursions.LOL Not that I'm going to buy these right now.

edit. pic version not pdf....

Edited by AndyWave - 15 September 2017 at 3:20pm
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 4:30pm
Updated pics and plans now working, mish-mash of scanned handy-cad-added corrections.

Still no flat pack list, you'll have to do that by yourselves. Not that I know anyone who has ever built any.

It is wise to have two plates sawed to 2440 x 600 and 27mm in the same run with large table saw with the measuring fence left in position. This way all innards are same width, just cut the odd angle pieces from 600mm slits. Some of the off cuts make nice skids for the bottom if I remember right...

Highest horn front opening stiffener plate is also a driver support plate and has a weatherstripping between the plate and magnet assembly. Be careful not to disable any driver cooling holes.

One should consider adding a towel bar handle on the front of the cab to facilitate handling, just stick it near grille opening top.

Materials used per cabinet

-nearly 3pcs 1220x2440 18mm and some 27mm (or 18mm and 9mm glued together) birch ply. all innards 600mm wide.

-2x neutrik NL-4MPR connectors.
-2x 150cm 4mm2 wires
-5x Marshall style large metal handles, Penn fabrication.
-at least 500x 38 x 4,2mm half thread screws.
-polyurethane wood glue
-outside painted with outside purpose wood basecoat with anti-mould-agent.
  Painted 3 times with foam roller app. 2,5L natural white color.
-8x M6 stroke nuts + M6x40 hex-bolts + M6 washers
-contact glue to secure stroke nuts
-Markies front grills base-epoxied and powder coated. Grill is attached with some 30pcs of 2,8x20 pan head wood screws, black passivated.
-Void 18-V1000 driver
-(or newer offering 18Sound 18LW2500 which simulates nicely, may need some fiddling with compression plates in the horn throat because of larger Xmax resulting higher maximum pressures, this is largely depending on perceived punch and distortion curves)

Now we only need some brave guy to build more of theseLOL
I think I still want 2 more...

Andy

edit: language, some forgotten items

Edited by AndyWave - 15 September 2017 at 5:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234