Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Polar Bear" Scoop build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Polar Bear" Scoop build
    Posted: 19 June 2010 at 11:00pm
As some of you may remember, late last year I designed and built two scoops of my own. My friends decided the model is called Polar Bear due to it being perhaps the northernmost scoop design ever.

Yesterday we started building two more. Today's task was to take it slow and put one together without glue, just to see how everything aligns out. Tomorrow we're going to take it apart, add the missing stuff (dog leg...) and hopefully get both ready for painting.

There are going to be two connector panels, another with 2x NL4 and another with 2x NL8.
We have two V18-1000s waiting to be loaded.

For these two we decided to cut all side panels ("roof" and "floor" included) 18mm too deep to get a small lip to the back to improve the grip when grabbing underneath the bin while taking it up some steep stairs or in any other situation where there may be need for more than two pairs of hands carrying it. The lip doesn't make it any deeper because there are still casters beneath, making the actual full depth quite a bit more than what the box in itself is.

BTW the Makita impact screwdriver is a lovely tool to work with! Highly recommended.
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 12:04am
Build is looking good.

+1 on the makita l ion impact driver.

Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 1:07am
makita impact drivers are brilliant 

djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 7:50am
+1 Makita, woodwork & the bush on that calendar. LOOOOLLOL
system:

20 x MA W8L
12 x MA W8LC
12 x MA W8LM
20 x MA S-218
8 x D.A.S. ST-112
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 9:27am
what about the rubber dildo hanging on the window frame?

looking good, big rear chamber there?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 9:39am
Nnope, actually quite small, mostly because of the "extended" dogleg / triangle which moves the throat really near to the front of the chamber. We forgot to put in in there while dry-building this.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 9:42am
own up! who had a look? lol
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2010 at 12:39am

First bins with mouth bracing. Also first bins that we built without having to rush them to a gig next day, so I guess one thing leads to another (not building so quickly leads to better build quality etc.)

We really should add bracing to other boxes too, though.

btw these pictures were taken between 9 and 10 pm this evening Tongue

Edited by pfly - 21 June 2010 at 12:40am
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 5:30pm
Updates:

As I'm still located in Shanghai, sound system co-owner sent me pictures of our Polar Bears, now almost finished. Finally we have something that could be considered as "whole", though 1850s are wrong cabs for midbass job. Older scoops are going to have mouth bracing as well and all old cabs are going to have a coat or two of Warnex. We are also going to have some proper square grilles for the drivers. Big thanks go to my friends and co-owners making all this sillynes possible. Next move will be something completely different, first step may be getting rid of the 1850s (can I see two more scoops coming up...?) and building USBs to go in the middle, if I don't feel like finishing my 8643 hybrid's 2x12" version.

The mighty V18-1000:

Mouth bracing, FINALLY LOL

The stack, missing two midtops in here:

Edited by pfly - 05 July 2010 at 5:34pm
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 6:23pm

Great! Thumbs Up

Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 9:02pm
Nice looking stack mate!!!!!Clap
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 10:44am
Waiting for grilles:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>