Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One for the old school.. ATC EC-23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One for the old school.. ATC EC-23
    Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:20pm

Just a random one here, me and the missus have just bought a small 3 way C-Audio SR rack to power our Turbo top boxes (getting bored of looking at the QSCs) and it came with a ATC EC-23 crossover in the top, looks really nice, 2U 3way stereo and tamper-proofed to boot! But a quick Google show nothing other than they seem to mainly live in studios now days, anyone have a manual or set-up guide or even some spec for this beast, seems like it would run a Genelec studio monitors well in the mix room if I can re-configure it correctly to do so, I will call ATC on Monday, just being impatient really..

Smile

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 12:24am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Just a random one here, me and the missus have just bought a small 3 way C-Audio SR rack to power our Turbo top boxes (getting bored of looking at the QSCs) and it came with a ATC EC-23 crossover in the top, looks really nice, 2U 3way stereo and tamper-proofed to boot! But a quick Google show nothing other than they seem to mainly live in studios now days, anyone have a manual or set-up guide or even some spec for this beast, seems like it would run a Genelec studio monitors well in the mix room if I can re-configure it correctly to do so, I will call ATC on Monday, just being impatient really..

Yes, they are very nice crossovers.

The person to speak to at ATC would be Tim Isaac, who designed it.

There were a few versions of these over the years, the circuitry was the same but the metalwork and PC boards changed. There was also a version made for Roger Quested some of which had an added  mono sub channel.

It's a 4th order 3-way crossover and the frequencies were normally around 360 and 3600 Hz to suit the ATC midrange domes. The frequencies are determined by resistors on plug-in headers so they are easy to change. The limiters are exceptionally good but might need modification (resistor change) to increase the range of adjustment to suit amplifiers that need a lot of drive voltage.

Despite what may be written on the back panel, these crossovers normally have electronically balanced inputs and outputs.

Tim has also designed crossovers for Turbosound (he was a founder of the company in the early 70's and held the original patent for the TurboMidDevice) and for EAW and Martin Audio. He also designed amplifiers for several manufacturers, and the legendary "fan amps" for the old Turbo Festival rig.

Edited by madboffin - 26 June 2010 at 12:25am
soft-dome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote soft-dome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 5:18pm

Hi Shag,

Two of my favourite old school bits of kit SR series amps and an EC23.
I've got a EC23 that I use for my ATC SCM100's they are the older original passive versions, although I've also got a pair of active SCM 50A's as they're more wife friendly.
I've got a PDF of the manual that I can send you if you don't have any luck with ATC, when I was trying to get a copy of the manual I was told by ATC that they didn't have one, although a guy selling a EC23 on ebay was kind enough to send me a copy of his manual.
Drop me a Pm if you want it.

Stu
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 1:00am
Originally posted by soft-dome soft-dome wrote:

Hi Shag,

Two of my favourite old school bits of kit SR series amps and an EC23.
I've got a EC23 that I use for my ATC SCM100's they are the older original passive versions, although I've also got a pair of active SCM 50A's as they're more wife friendly.
I've got a PDF of the manual that I can send you if you don't have any luck with ATC, when I was trying to get a copy of the manual I was told by ATC that they didn't have one, although a guy selling a EC23 on ebay was kind enough to send me a copy of his manual.
Drop me a Pm if you want it.

Stu
That would be great, I spoke to ATC but Tim has left and I have a manual in rahter poor zipped JPG format (not knocking ATC here, great they have anything for a 20yr old product) but I would like to see yours incase it has more detail..

I deally I would rig this to run our 3way active TMS-4s but I need to be able to overlap crossover points to do this nad I am not sure the EC23 can....

:-)

S
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 10:10am
If I remember correctly, ATC built a 3 way stereo Xover model purely for PA use many moons ago and I think the Xover points were possibly 250hz and 1.5khz which would have been suitable for most systems at the time---It was also one of the few units at the time to have limiters built in as standard----If it is one of these that you have and not the studio monitor version then the Xover points should be able to be changed by using different component values but obviously you will probably need an old skool type of experienced audio engineer to be able to do this----Also, why on earth do you want to overlap Xover points on TMS 4s as all of the drivers are out of phase with one another so it will sound worse not better.
I know it probably sounds daft, but a Berry DCX will sound better(with correct time alignment settings) than the ATC ever will when running horn loaded cabinets such as TMS 4s.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Also, why on earth do you want to overlap Xover points on TMS 4s as all of the drivers are out of phase with one another so it will sound worse not better.
I know it probably sounds daft, but a Berry DCX will sound better(with correct time alignment settings) than the ATC ever will when running horn loaded cabinets such as TMS 4s.
Properly set-up the 1" on a TMS box runs quite away into the 10" from memory 10" runs 250-5Kish and the 1" run from 3k4 to out. this means you get all your vocal thriugh the 10". We currently run them off a pair of DCXs but I have gained the EC as part of a rack and fancied having a play as if I can rig the thing to run TMS I can always use a pair of TMS2s or 4s as 3way active side fills.

Smile
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Also, why on earth do you want to overlap Xover points on TMS 4s as all of the drivers are out of phase with one another so it will sound worse not better.
Properly set-up the 1" on a TMS box runs quite away into the 10" from memory 10" runs 250-5Kish and the 1" run from 3k4 to out. this means you get all your vocal thriugh the 10". We currently run them off a pair of DCXs but I have gained the EC as part of a rack and fancied having a play as if I can rig the thing to run TMS I can always use a pair of TMS2s or 4s as 3way active side fills.

Smile

Yes---Thats what happens when you run the TMS4s two way active using the built in HPF on the 1" which is 3.4 or 3.6khz and the 10" is left to run open untill it naturally runs out of steam, but if you run them three way active using those Xover points then the 10" will shut off at 3.6khz where the 1" horn starts so you would not have any overlap at all---TMS4s really come alive when run three way active as you can set the time delays spot on and it makes a hell of a difference to running them in two way standard passive mode even though they still sound great when run like this---They have always been my personal favourite all time PA box---just a shame that they never did a trap version.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 1:36pm
The turbo recommended setting include an overlap, the old FDS-360 cards overlapped as does the map in the LMS-700, not a lot but a bit.
I also run the 18s down to 35Hz but have my subs run upto 110 which seems to let the faster 18s in the TMS4s really go while the 718 or 721s provide some real grunt...

I have to agree the TMS4 is the best sounding single box to leave partridge green!!!

Smile
DCdane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCdane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 7:11pm
I would really appreciate a copy of the ATC EC manual as well. Thanks!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 10:26pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 11:31pm
roff topic but any excuse.. 

a few of my old boxes from back in the day, 

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2012 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

roff topic but any excuse.. 

a few of my old boxes from back in the day, 

Old???

Still the best sounding single box to leave Partridge Green, bar, NONE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>