Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wireless modem!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wireless modem!?
    Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:51pm
HELLO! - I haven't been on here for ages!

I'm about to move into a new house and am trying to sort out the internet. Just spoke to the new landlord and he has worries about letting virgin or someone else install things in his house and messing up the walls. He mentioned the possibility of getting a wireless modem so there would be no need for drilling of new holes.
I've never heard of these and have no experience of whether they're any good.
I really don't want some shitty connection where I can't stream things or download anything without waiting for hours (which will be made worse by the fact that there's gonna be 6 of us all using the net at once)

SO... Has anyone here had any experience with wireless modems that might be useful?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

CHEERS
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:00pm
If it has Netgear on it -BIN IT!!!
Blow a few quid on a Linksys WRT54G or if you go for the faster Virgin a 108mb one but bear in mind most laptops only run 54G @ the min, virgin will give you a D-Link that is good for £20 when you sell it on Ebay...

Get a decent PCI wireless Lan card for your desktop and away you go. Don't mess with WEP or WSP coding one the router leave it open but use MAC locking (use ipconfig /all from the dos prompt to find your MAC address) to control who can talk to it and hide the SSD of the wireless once you are done (this won't work with iPhone they don't find hidden networks too well) but MAC locking is secure and doesn't transmit loads shit that lowers your bandwidth.

:-)

S

bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:06pm
are you talking about wireless routers shagnasty?
Is there any way we can have the internet without getting cables installed in the house?
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 9:58pm
If your LAndlord does not want cables:
Is there a phone line? If so plug  a router into it and have non cable ADSL. Normal Broadband.
If not there are some dongle routers out there, madness IMHO, never as good.
So to answer your question, unless you want to share a crappy 3G type signal (mobile bb) then you have to get the dsl/adsl into the building via cables, either Virgin/NTL which means holes, or adsl using phone line which is hopefully installed.
Zen/Fast/O2 and even BTseem to be OK ish nowadays. IMO, Orange and TalkTalk don't deserve your money.
It just is.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 12:34am
Yeah, my bad, was thinking you are allowed an internet entry point but no further cabling... If you don't have a BT line or a virgin (cable) point then you can just use a 3G card, I have a 7Mb Voda PCMCIA card that rocks, the USB dongles suck on many count but you can get a vigour router that lets you plug in a dongle then run WiFi from there, this can be quite cost effective you have naff all line rental ( my 3Gb per month card is only £15 pcm) datawise their is only Vodafone, the rest are hopers and pretenders but you have no option for a fixed IP (you can use no-ip.org or similar but that is sub-optimal) and if you don't have good Voda 3G ("4G") you are into one of the tier 2 providers and all the crap that comes with that.
Main point is if you are a heavy user ( i move over 18Gb per month, mainly over VPN) 3G is not a cost option.
If you are in a Virgin Area I would approach your lanlord and say you will have the service installed as a single outlet, straight thru the wall 150mm above skirting height and WiFi from there, internet is a selling point on a rentable property and lack of it is a £40 PCM of rental price issue.
I won't tolerate BT, SKY or Virgin on any of my properites but I have cabled them in such a way that any of the above can push signals to any room from the loft which has a 75mm riser to it.
If you need ADSL then Plusnet rock, massively, shoul you sign up quote pulsardesign@plus.net as refferal and I get a few pence per month but they have UK customer support, free fixed IP and generally just work well. Pipex or Viatel are also good, tiscali, bt, sky, talktalk an o2 are about as much use as a caramel speakon connector......

S
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 12:10pm
Pipex are no longer good. They are under the Talk Talk hand of **** now.
100% no.
Plusnet is BT controlled IIRC?
Zen and Fast 100% service, BT business have been great latley, although their billing dept are awful IMO.
BT Home have asian cal centre, BUT, these seem to be trained in understanding profiles etc.
O2 seem to vary, not had 1st hand experience, some people say thay are good on here though.
It just is.
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 11:38pm
thanks guys. need to have a chat with landlord. no internet sucks!!
AudioAddictz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AudioAddictz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 1:10am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

If it has Netgear on it -BIN IT!!!
Blow a few quid on a Linksys WRT54G or if you go for the faster Virgin a 108mb one but bear in mind most laptops only run 54G @ the min, virgin will give you a D-Link that is good for £20 when you sell it on Ebay...

Get a decent PCI wireless Lan card for your desktop and away you go. Don't mess with WEP or WSP coding one the router leave it open but use MAC locking (use ipconfig /all from the dos prompt to find your MAC address) to control who can talk to it and hide the SSD of the wireless once you are done (this won't work with iPhone they don't find hidden networks too well) but MAC locking is secure and doesn't transmit loads shit that lowers your bandwidth.

S

do you know how easy that set up would be to hack

with a linux distro called backtrack 4 

you can watch the airwaves and even see routers that have hiden there ssid

you can see the routers mac address and the mac address of those connected to it

simple case for the hacker to change there mac id to match that of one already attached to the router and hay presto .. access

and also i have to say ive set up a lot of routers and net gear have been one of the most reliable makes i have used , although i do agree the linksys routers are pritty good too
Reality .. It might look the same but it dont taste the same
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 1:41am
Anything short of full RADIUS cntrolled access is hackable, yes you could set a card to promiscuous mode, scan and then close a MAC address, you can also force a window and plug a network cable in which is a sight quicker.

Point is a combination of hidden SSId and MAC locking is fast and reasonably safe.

If you have the reliable netgears that explains why every one I have ever seen (I mean the white domestic tat here, not the blue ones) is slow, won't port forward reliably and is general bin fonder.

Its horses for courses but Linksys cost no more than netgear and stripe them for reliability and thru-put.

AudioAddictz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AudioAddictz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 1:56am
i agree its more secure than no protection at all

but why make it easy for them

wpa2 encryption , mac address locking and hide the ssid

thats what i use 

and i run a lot of services from my network and im useing a netgear router right now

not had one bit of trouble with port forwarding 

but like you say its horses for corses

i would rather spend the extra time making sure my network was as secure as possible 

Reality .. It might look the same but it dont taste the same
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 9:45am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Anything short of full RADIUS cntrolled access is hackable, yes you could set a card to promiscuous mode, scan and then close a MAC address, you can also force a window and plug a network cable in which is a sight quicker.

Point is a combination of hidden SSId and MAC locking is fast and reasonably safe.

If you have the reliable netgears that explains why every one I have ever seen (I mean the white domestic tat here, not the blue ones) is slow, won't port forward reliably and is general bin fonder.

Its horses for courses but Linksys cost no more than netgear and stripe them for reliability and thru-put.

Had a lady the other day: She got a letter from BT, unfair use, 100gb or similar. Thing is this was in her holiday home and it had been vacent for weeks.
Turns out the home hub was in the window, wpa code facing out! Kids must have loved itLOL
Proper hacking........Big smile
Edit. As the wife just put it, cyber scrumping!!!!!!

Edited by The Builder - 06 July 2010 at 9:48am
It just is.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 10:45am
100gb in a month on a Bt line???? So she it the one with all their bandwidth!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>