Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoulRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery drivers
    Posted: 09 July 2010 at 1:52pm
Hello all, does anyone have a clue as to what these drivers are, or can hazard a guess as to their power handling/best usage etc? They were in a pair of older Carlsbro Delta Bass Bins, but there are no markings of any kind on the drive units themselves, (other than a "4" sticker for 4 Ohms I suppose.) I don't even know if they have been changed at some point: I suspect so, as the cabs are rated 300watts, maybe because of the crossovers built in.

Any info, or intelligent guesses appreciated!

[img=http://img225.imagevenue.com/loc774/th_78870_DSCF1509_122_774lo.JPG">[img=http://img265.imagevenue.com/loc443/th_78885_DSCF1512_122_443lo.JPG">[img=http://img108.imagevenue.com/loc187/th_78896_DSCF1513_122_187lo.JPG">
[img=http://img261.imagevenue.com/loc111/th_78907_DSCF1510_122_111lo.JPG">

Oh, and they weigh a lovely 2st 6lbs each. I'm not for fitting both in one cab anytime soon!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 1:59pm
all i've got is i remember a friend having a pair of these years ago.. and they were 4 ohms, 300w. so possibly the original drivers.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 2:13pm
they look like fane studio 10's to me.

Edit, just realized it doesnt have the right flange... the rest of the chassis right as are the terminals and the cone though?

Edited by sKs01 - 09 July 2010 at 2:17pm
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
SoulRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoulRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by sKs01 sKs01 wrote:

they look like fane studio 10's to me.Edit, just realized it doesnt have the right flange... the rest of the chassis right as are the terminals and the cone though?

I thought they may have been Fanes too, until I was told Fane didn't do a driver with a 5" voicecoil! And that & the weight of the magnet seem a bit excessive for a 300 watt speaker.

Studio 10's? These are 15" speakers; I've included a measuring tape in the 3rd pick to show the voicecoil size.

Edited by SoulRay - 09 July 2010 at 2:41pm
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 3:15pm
Dustcap can well be bigger than voice coil, in fact only very few speakers with 5" voice coil are in existance.

Best regards,

Walter
puresoundglasgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puresoundglasgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 7:09pm
Looks like the original drivers, replaced drivers in a pair of Carlsbros a couple of years ago (which had a driver that was cutting out intermittently) and drivers looked pretty similar.

Suspect Fane or Mackenzie and it won't be a 5" coil, 4" or even 3" much more likely.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 7:59pm
I'd say it was a McKenzie as that's what Carlsbro mainly used but they did chuck a few Fane's in too!
this is a pic of a 12" McKenzie I have in my tapped horns?

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 8:05pm
 They look like some kind of Fane to me, looks like a 4" VC in the last pic, probably 400-500W power handling?

P.S, that bloody live jasmin popped up when I clicked on the first pic and the missus is sat behind me, D'OH!
SoulRay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoulRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 12:45am
Aye Colint, that basket looks very similar if not identical! Same plastic connectors too, just a bigger magnet like you'd maybe expect on a 15" driver.
What power do you put through yours and how does it sound in that application? (Mine are just in simple, if biggish, reflex boxes!)
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 1:18am
it certainly does look like some mckenzie ones i have.. not the same driver, but the basket anyway looks pretty similar.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 1:21am
i thought all the mcenzie and fane basket were the same? 
Louder than loud View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louder than loud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 1:33am
i vote Fane :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>